On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> I'm trying to update from source - after a programmer informed me I had the
> most broken build of X he ever came across (~500!). He was right.
> Make World >& world.log
> craps out after 5 seconds with this:
>
> cd ./config/makedepend && make -f Makefile.proto bootstrap
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/config/makedepend'
> Makefile.proto:34: <host.def>: No such file or directory
> Makefile.proto:1201: *** missing `endef', unterminated `define'.  Stop.

Declan, presumably you had edited the "config.h"?  If so then the
likelihood is that you merely removed the "#" comment mark from the
defines instead of moving the define entirely outside of the C comment
delimiters "/* comment text */" ?

> Quote from INSTALL-X.org - 3.6.2:
> 3.6.2.        Other GNU tools

What is INSTALL-X.org?  Did you actually mean that to be an URL or is it
the INSTALL from the XF86-3.6.2 ?  If so may I suggested that you update
your X to XF86-4.x ?

> Use of the GNU BinUtils assembler, as, and linker, ld, is not supported
> -- period! If you have them installed on your system you must rename or
> remove them for the duration of the R6.6 build.  (You can restore them
> afterwards.)
> Is that real??? What do I use in Linux???

Hmm.  May have been true back in XF86-3.6.2.  I don't remmeber it, but I
never compiled my own back then.

Doesn't Mandrake provide RPMs that you could use to update your
distribution?

-Oisin