Was it Ted Spradley who wrote on Friday 08 February 2002 17:00:

( ~/xc/INSTALL-X.org)

> This is from X.Org's installation notes.  The context, although not
> all that obvious, is platforms on which the GNU binutils are NOT the
> standard tools -- like Solaris.  This doesn't apply to Linux.
> </quote>
>
> The file INSTALL-X.org is the original installation notes from X.org.
> It's *not* from XFree86.org, and it's not relevant.  It's only kept
> around for historical reference.  X.org and XFree86.org are two
> different organizations.
>
> I believe for a normal build on a supported (by XFree86.org, not by
> X.org) platform, all you need to do is "Make World" in the xc directory
> and it will automagically figure out what environment it's building on,
> and build *for* that.

Very true - it did: As soon as I THREW OUT THE INSTRUCTIONS. Thank you.

Might I suggest you DO REMOVE that stupid file? In the time any of you guys
take to sort out 2 newbies, you could have a decent 'INSTALL.linux' doc
written. Skip the bloat common to HOWTOs and give simple instructions. This
is one case where RTFM was a big mistake.

Was it [EMAIL PROTECTED] who wrote on Friday 08 February 2002 15:27:

> > > Doesn't Mandrake provide RPMs that you could use to update your
> > > distribution?
> >
> > Yeah they do - Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, learn nothing,
> > and upgrade if that system didn't work because the next one will ;-).
> > Mandrake use iso images - fine if you have a cable modem (I don't).
> >
> > I've sat on lists and watched people cry from updating rpms and
> > downloading binaries. They all finish up d/ling the source.
>
> Well, this is a good attitude, except that there *are* source RPMs and you
> can read the specfiles, see what they're doing, edit them, build your own
> RPMs, learn, have fine-grained control and then you have a package based
> system, which _does_ have advantages unless you are running a minimalistic
> distro like KRUD or Slackware.
> However, to each his own!

I get wary of programs like rpm, sendmail, apache,  and pppd for that matter
which do everything, and accumulate loads of programs to pass options to
them. I'll master rpm when I get life in jail, and pppd and maybe even emacs,
but I don't know if one life would be enough for all that :-).

Right now I'm not in jail, and have no wish for self imposed lengthy
confinement figuring out programs as inscrutable as the Oracle at Delphi.
I'll build from source, and I don't have to know what's going on as long as
it builds. The Makefiles tell gcc (Another one with zillions of weird
options) what to do, and everything happens automagically. If it goes down in
flames, then I'll rm -rf and downgrade with rpms.

--
        Regards,

        Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

        A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Experience is like a comb,
that Life gives you - AFTER all your hair has fallen out!