Was it [EMAIL PROTECTED] who wrote on Thursday 07 February 2002 16:03:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > I'm trying to update from source - after a programmer informed me I had
> > the most broken build of X he ever came across (~500!). He was right.
> > Make World >& world.log
> > craps out after 5 seconds with this:
> >
> > cd ./config/makedepend && make -f Makefile.proto bootstrap
> > make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/config/makedepend'
> > Makefile.proto:34: <host.def>: No such file or directory
> > Makefile.proto:1201: *** missing `endef', unterminated `define'.  Stop.
>
> Declan, presumably you had edited the "config.h"?  If so then the
> likelihood is that you merely removed the "#" comment mark from the
> defines instead of moving the define entirely outside of the C comment
> delimiters "/* comment text */" ?

I'll double check that. config.h? Mebbe I didn't get there :-o

> > Quote from INSTALL-X.org - 3.6.2:
> > 3.6.2.      Other GNU tools
>
> What is INSTALL-X.org?  Did you actually mean that to be an URL or is it
> the INSTALL from the XF86-3.6.2 ?  If so may I suggested that you update
> your X to XF86-4.x ?

No. I d/l the source, and INSTALL-X.org untars into the ~/xc/ directory. It
looked as close to an INSTALL doc as there was, so I started readingit. Did I
do something stupid? (Reading the doc, I mean)

> > Use of the GNU BinUtils assembler, as, and linker, ld, is not supported
> > -- period! If you have them installed on your system you must rename or
> > remove them for the duration of the R6.6 build.  (You can restore them
> > afterwards.)
> > Is that real??? What do I use in Linux???
>
> Hmm.  May have been true back in XF86-3.6.2.  I don't remmeber it, but I
> never compiled my own back then.
>
> Doesn't Mandrake provide RPMs that you could use to update your
> distribution?

Yeah they do - Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, learn nothing, and
upgrade if that system didn't work because the next one will ;-). Mandrake
use iso images - fine if you have a cable modem (I don't).

I've sat on lists and watched people cry from updating rpms and downloading
binaries. They all finish up d/ling the source.

--
        Regards,

        Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

        A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Experience is like a comb,
that Life gives you - AFTER all your hair has fallen out!