On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:42:47AM +0000, Declan Moriarty wrote:
>I'm trying to update from source - after a programmer informed me I had the
>most broken build of X he ever came across (~500!). He was right.
>
>Make World >& world.log
>craps out after 5 seconds with this:
>
>cd ./config/makedepend && make -f Makefile.proto bootstrap
>make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/config/makedepend'
>Makefile.proto:34: <host.def>: No such file or directory
>Makefile.proto:1201: *** missing `endef', unterminated `define'.  Stop.
>
>Line 1200 was the last line:-/. I have tried:
>Searching xfree.org with google, and I came across advice that it was
>1. a missing 'endef'
>2. endef somewhere instead of 'endif'
>
>grep -r yields negative results on 'endef' in ~/xc/*
>I didn't change any endif statements.
>
>I'm running Linux Mandrake 8.0, kernel 2.4.3, gcc-2.96. I did go to RTFM, but
>when I investigated instructions in |INSTALL_X.org, I was told it's a legacy
>from the distant past. What is the up-to-date INSTALL instructions?
>
>Quote from INSTALL-X.org - 3.6.2:
>3.6.2. Other GNU tools
>
>Use of the GNU BinUtils assembler, as, and linker, ld, is not supported
>-- period! If you have them installed on your system you must rename or
>remove them for the duration of the R6.6 build.  (You can restore them
>afterwards.)
>

>Is that real??? What do I use in Linux???

This is from X.Org's installation notes.  The context, although not
all that obvious, is platforms on which the GNU binutils are NOT the
standard tools -- like Solaris.  This doesn't apply to Linux.

Your problem lies elsewhere -- did you edit any of the config files?
I strongly recommend building without touching any config files,
at least until you're more familiar with the build process.  The
build should complete without any problems on most platforms
available at the time of the 4.2.0 release.

David
--
David Dawes
Senior X Architect                              Tungsten Grahpics, Inc