On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> I'm trying to update from source - after a programmer informed me I had the
> most broken build of X he ever came across (~500!). He was right.
>
> Make World >& world.log
> craps out after 5 seconds with this:
>
> cd ./config/makedepend && make -f Makefile.proto bootstrap
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/config/makedepend'
> Makefile.proto:34: <host.def>: No such file or directory
> Makefile.proto:1201: *** missing `endef', unterminated `define'.  Stop.

Addendum: I forgot to mention "endef" should not be "endif".  "endef" is
the valid ending for a canned sequence in a makefile.  So the likelihood
is that you edited something, or did not run xmkmf.  Try to have another
look at the README.  I think that the line that you quote:
> Makefile.proto:34: <host.def>: No such file or directory
is worth investigating.
Again, though, I'd suggest using Mandrake RPMs.  What's the point of
having a package based distribution if you don't take advantage of it?
(Unless you want to have fun of course!)
-Oisin