---------------------------------
[13] Our away record
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
Sky again

Won 8 of their 15 away Premiership games this season, gaining 30 pts from a possible
45 - best away record in Premiership.

Utd's only away defeat this season came at Highbury on October 1 (lost 1-0).

Premiership's top scorers away from home with 26 goals.

Utd have scored in 22 of their last 23 away Premiership games.

Have the best away defensive record in the Premiership, conceding 12 goals. Conceded
only three goals in their last six away games.

Kept six clean sheets in their 15 away Premiership games this season.

Unbeaten in their last 11 away Premiership games (winning 7), gaining 25 pts from a
possible last 33 available on their travels.

Including last season, Man Utd have lost only one of their last 23 away Premiership
games, winning 15 in the process.

---------------------------------
[12] What we are trying to beat
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
Again Sky.com

The records we set last season

Most points - 91 (in 38-game season)
Most Goals - 97
Most Wins - 28
Fewest Defeats - 3 (joint best)
Most Consecutive Wins - 11
Biggest Winning Margin - 18 pts (biggest winning margin ever in top division)
Best Goal Difference - + 52

---------------------------------
[11] You’re not famous anymore
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
Points difference between us and the mickeys. Us first (thanks to sky.com)

This season     70        45             25
1999-00         91        67             24
1998-99         79        54             25
1997-98         77        65             12
1996-97         75        68              7
1995-96         82        71             11
1994-95         88        74             14
1993-94         92        60             32
1992-93         84        59             25

Total games played

Played         135
Liverpool       45
Man Utd        48
Drawn           42

---------------------------------
[10] Don’t do it Brucey!
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
As teamt**k claim that Steve is favourite to land the Tranmere job. Remember Steve,
hubcaps cost!

---------------------------------
[9] Trial Latest
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
>From Ananova

The judge in the Leeds United footballers' trial told the jury there was no evidence
of a racial motive in the savage attack on a young Asian student.

Mr Justice Poole said that the young man who had been attacked, Sarfraz Najeib, was
Asian and that there was no dispute that his attackers were a group of young white
males.

But he told the jury at Hull Crown Court: ``What if anything is the significance of
that? Let me tell you _ absolutely none.''

The judge was starting his summing up in the case in which Leeds players Jonathan
Woodgate and Lee Bowyer, together with two of Woodgate's friends, are accused of the
assault in which Mr Najeib, 20, was kicked and left ``half dead'' after a
confrontation outside a Leeds city centre nightclub.

He said: ``We live in a time and a society where there is particular sensitivity to
racism and race.

``But you should know the prosecution in this case has stated publicly in a pre-trial
hearing that it does not suggest there was any racist motive in this attack.

``Nor indeed is there any evidence there was such a motive.''

The judge said the prosecution said the motive was not racism but ``group
retaliation'' against Mr Najeib.

He said the student had had the ``temerity'' in standing up for himself outside the
Majestyk nightclub and in hitting back when he was first attacked.

``So the motive for the violence you are considering, the prosecution suggests, was
not racism but spiteful group retaliation,'' he said.

He said the issue was one of a number of possible ``distractions'' the jury should
avoid.

Another was what the jury had heard about the involvement of race relations lawyer
Imran Khan and the BBC Panorama programme.

He said: ``Do not be distracted by any speculation about other investigations or other
charges, nor by any supposed activities of the newspapers, Panorama or Mr Imran Khan
or any other peripheral figure.

``They are utterly irrelevant and you should not be seduced into supposing they are
anything other.''

---------------------------------
[8] Phil says Wembley is bobbins
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
All the England players were at Anfield last Saturday and the atmosphere was
brilliant. I think the majority of the players have gone on record as saying it was
far better than playing at Wembley. My view is that no matter where you play for
England the atmosphere is always good but there is nothing better than playing on a
traditional English football ground. One thing's for sure, the United players won't
get anything like the same reception at Anfield this Saturday as was afforded to them
last Saturday.

Err you don’t say!

---------------------------------
[7] Phil says rivalry ‘special’
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
Which is a polite way of putting it!

People ask if the rivalry between the supporters of Liverpool and United spills over
to the players and if we get on together at International level. At noon on Saturday
both teams will want to win, and because of the rivalry the atmosphere will be special
for all the players. They are fantastic games to play in. Once the game is over there
are no bad feelings, many of us have been in the England set up at various levels for
quite a few years now and we get on fine. (So all that talk of the two sets of players
avoiding each other under the ‘messiah’ was nonsense then?)

---------------------------------
[6] Phil gets his ‘massive’ quote in!
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
The game against Liverpool is a massive game because over the years they've become our
fiercest rivals. Our supporters will expect us to win and if people think that because
we've virtually won the title we won't be motivated, forget it. I don’t think
the result will make any difference to the title race but we play Bayern Munich on
Tuesday and the last thing we want is to be going into that game on the back of a
Liverpool defeat.

Gerard Houllier has impressed me with the way he recognised the need to have Liverpool
and English born players in the squad and brought in Heskey and Barmby to play
alongside Fowler, Owen, Murphy, Gerrard and Carragher. He has also brought in some
good foreign players. His appointment of Phil Thompson as his assistant no doubt
emphasised the Liverpool tradition to the players. I see Liverpool building on similar
foundations that have brought us so much success over the past nine or ten years.

---------------------------------
[5] Phil tries the psycho-babble on the mickeys
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
Liverpool are one of the most improved teams in the Premiership. They have bought good
players and, like us, they have quite a few local lads in the side - which I believe
is vital if you are going to challenge for the title. Over the next few years I see
them, along with Leeds, being our main title challengers.

---------------------------------
[4] Phil tells it like it is
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
>From his icons site

 I think if you asked the Manchester United supporters if they'd rather win the
Premiership or beat Liverpool twice a year the answer is simple. Winning the
Premiership is the most important trophy to win for every club and it doesn't matter
who you beat or whom you lose to as long as you have more points than every other team
at the end of the season.

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie impressed with Sven over Andrew
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
>From Ananova

"The situation with Andy is quite clear," said the United manager.

"The criticism he received was unfair and they didn't really analyse the situation.

"That was his 13th game before scoring a goal, but what people have got to remember is
that he's never had a run until now.

"He's played one game in and then one game out and that type of thing doesn't build
anybody's confidence.

"I think England were more or less dictated to by having to play Shearer all the time
and Andy didn't get a fair crack at it.

"What Sven-Goran Eriksson has done is to give the lad a chance, restore faith in him
and now he's been rewarded."

---------------------------------
[2] Arthur – Scousers don’t matter
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
>From FA-premer.com

"I'm convinced Alex will field a side you wouldn't normally expect
United to play when they go to Anfield," says Albiston.

"Tuesday's game against Bayern is far bigger than the clash with
Liverpool even though fans might not think so.

"Don't forget United are 15 points clear in the Premiership and have
the title all but wrapped up.

"Three days later Alex and his players have a massive game against
Munich with the semi-finals of the Champions Cup at stake.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise which game will demand
Alex's attention and he wants all his players fit, injury free and
raring to go against the Germans.

"Liverpool are in a different situation and although they have a Uefa
Cup semi-final in Barcelona next Thursday, Gerard Houllier has always
maintained getting third place in the Premiership is the main target.

"That's why I think players like David Beckham, Gary Neville, Paul
Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Andy Cole and maybe even Roy Keane won't be
risked for the whole game at Liverpool."

Albiston is sure Ferguson will place his priorities with Champions
Cup success - especially with many of his stars only returning late
on Thursday after ten days of international duty.

"If United lost it would hardly be a disaster in terms of the their
Premier League lead. The fans wouldn't like it because the rivalry
with Liverpool is intense and they want United to avenge the 1-0
defeat they suffered through Danny Murphy's free kick earlier in the
season.

"But at this stage all that matters to Alex Ferguson is progress in
the Champions Cup.

"United just can't afford to risk any injuries to high profile
players like Beckham, Scholes, Keane or Giggs.

"Alex will be looking at the pressure that's been on Beckham the past
ten days while he's been with England and he'll note he had another
international captain in Keane away for the same spell.

"I hear Fabian Barthez could play at Anfield after recovering from
his thigh injury - but I'm sure he'll play against Bayern even if he
misses out at Anfield.

"Big European games are tailor made for him - he won't want to miss
out."

---------------------------------
[1] Fab still doubtful
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2001 by tb:
>From our French correspondent via his own site

Accumulation of games, reappearance of little pains… I don’t know but this
little injury took me off the last premier league and, above all, to meet the
friends in Clairefontaine for the two games with the French team.

I had to go to Paris to have this injury confirmed by the medical staff but everyone,
and
me the first one, thought it was useless to take any risks. By playing, I
could have compromised my whole end of season with the last line which will
lead us to the national title, unless a very big accident, and the last eight
of the Chmapions League. Honestly, I di not hesistate.

My return versus Bayern ? Not sure

So, I went to train quietly in Manchester. The coach once more put me in the
best condition possible. I started very slowly and two days ago, I was training with
the whole group. I don’t know if I’ll be ready for the game versus Munich,
time will tell.

---------------------------------
[40] That'll explain the smell then...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Conrad from Leeds holds the current record for eating 33 boiled  eggs in 40 minutes
on MTV's Jackass Pukestock tour.'

>From Ananova

---------------------------------
[39] Scousers not shutting up
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sami Hyypia said: "Our result at Old Trafford earlier in the season was well deserved
because we were magnificent on the day. We defended very well and scored a good goal
at the other end While we can take confidence from that we have to make sure we don't
dwell on it. This is another game on another day and we have to produce the goods all
over again.

At least we proved with that result that we are capable of beating
anybody when we play to our highest level. I see no reason why we can't do it again.
In fact I am quite confident of winning. I'm a bit surprised that United are so far
clear, but that's because no other team in the league can match them for consistency.
If they play badly they still win games, if we play badly we lose. That's the
difference."

---------------------------------
[38] QUOTE OF THE DECADE!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Jamie Carragher said: "A couple of years ago we were both at the same airport flying
off to a match. The problem was that United were on their way to play Inter Milan in a
European tie and we were on our way to a game in France against a non-league team in a
friendly. I think that's when it really hit home to a few of us."

That said it all, and we don't want to feel like that again. We don't want to go back
to those days. We have won at Old Trafford this season, but that was a first for a
very long time. One win, though, is not enough. You have to do it consistently. It
meant a lot to us, particularly the local lads, when we won at United. We all enjoyed
it. But the fact is they have won the league again and we have to hold our hands up
and congratulate them. One win over them is just not enough. We have to beat them over
a number of years and make sure it's us who
wins the league soon. We've got the Worthington Cup now and we are in the semi-finals
of another two competitions, but we have to keep getting better and improving. I
wouldn't want to end this season with just the Worthington Cup. If we don't get into
the Champions League it will be a failure for us.

We have made a few strides this season, but we have to make more. Their points total
is amazing, and we have let ourselves down a few times this season - that's the
difference. We do, though, have the potential to catch them. They have been together
for several seasons now and we must make sure that our side sticks together and if we
do that over five or so years, we will be winning trophies consistently.

They are top because they have the best players, simple as that. And we know what we
have to do to catch them, it will take a couple of years yet. I still think we are one
of the top three sides in
the country, but we have to get the wins to prove that. With all the cup games and
Europe it has been hard in the league. We have to make sure, though, that we get that
league form right."

---------------------------------
[37] Robbie Fowerl gets giddy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"They are where we want to be. I suppose every club in the country shares that
ambition. United are favourites to win every game they play. Right now we are not like
that, but hopefully it won't be long before we are.

If we could get to their level it would be a great achievement because United have
been the best side in England for more than five years. Over the last couple of years
they have probably been one of the best sides in Europe. Both United and ourselves
have big squads full of talented players. But the main difference is that United are
more consistent. We've been saying that for a few years now.

However, it would be fantastic if we took another three points off
them, not just because they don't often slip up twice, but also because it would help
our Champions' League ambitions."

---------------------------------
[36] Fancy a Saturday night in Southampton before our game
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
There. Red News is thinking of running a bus down from Manchester with a night in
Soton - circa £60 for both coming back after the game. Let us know at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] if you're interested.

---------------------------------
[35] A question answered
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fanatic Fan in the Forum asks if 7 players from Utd in the England side is a record -
well it matches it, 7 from the Arse played against the Italians in 1934, but back then
the side (sound familiar?) was usually all Cockney players anyway so ours is the moral
victory!

---------------------------------
[34] Fergie to block McClaren's England chance
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Press making a big thing of this but taking another view it could be strengthening
McClaren's Utd chances if fergie wants him there full-time next season, perhaps to
take a more hands on roll if he were to get Fergie's job?

>From Ananova

'Sir Alex Ferguson appears to have snuffed out any hopes England coach Sven-Goran
Eriksson had of keeping Steve McClaren on in a coaching role beyond this season.

But an emphatic Ferguson seemed to rule out any possibility of an extension,
insisting: "No, the agreement with England is that it finishes at the end of the
season."

Asked in an interview on Sky Sports.com TV if he saw that situation changing, Ferguson
replied: "No".

---------------------------------
[33] Watchdog tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Don't forget to tune in to BBC 1 at 7pm for the latest on the safe
standing campaign.

---------------------------------
[32] Leeds get giddy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Peter Ridsdale: "The key issue is whether we're successful on the field - that's what
drives the numbers up. We have a great squad with a great future ahead of them.
Manchester United remain the benchmark, and we would like to be able to match their
presence at a sustained level by focusing on our key brand values. Given our pace of
growth, in a few years we will have Manchester United in our sights."

Yeah, whilst you're way back behind us.

---------------------------------
[31] Today's bollocks Becks story
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'David Beckham's position as Britain's most popular footballer has been usurped by
Aston Villa keeper David James in the Thai food
stakes. Thai soccer fans are slurping down food named after the England captain. An
enterprising vendor in Bangkok's Chinatown is drawing new  customers by naming his 30p
beef noodle dishes after top European  league players.

The Beckham, which is fresh beef noodles "describes him just right,"
said vendor Thawatchai Sriwatcharachai, 52.

"It's fresh and young with abundant energy like Beckham. He's never
missed a match even if he wasn't perfectly fit," said Mr Thawatchai,
better known as Brother Hong.

Other specialities include Alan Smith meatball noodles named after
the Leeds United's striker, and Luis Figo, a special deluxe bowl in
honour of the world's top-earning player of Real Madrid.'

---------------------------------
[30] Schmeichel on Goram signing
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I know Goram had fantastic experiences at Rangers but he can look forward to United
being something totally different. I would like to see Andy in action because I was
impressed when I watched tapes of Old Firm games. Good luck to him. It takes a lot to
be a good keeper at Old Trafford and that's why the manager chooses carefully. Anyone
who goes into the set-up will realise they are part of something special.

Andy knows managers always have a preferred selection of keepers but from what I've
heard about him I'm sure he will be delighted to get a chance at this stage of his
career. He is 36 and there is no shame in being second or even third choice at a club
like United."

---------------------------------
[29] Match odds
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Liverpool     8/5
Manchester United     11/8
Draw     11/5

Get on Cole first to score or Cole 1-0 - always got a good record there and odds of
9/2 and 20/1 make it a backing from us!

---------------------------------
[28] More from Raimond
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I hope I get a chance before the end of the season. I am training  hard and I am
nearly totally fit. I just have to be patient. I have to accept the situation, but it
is getting more frustrating.  The days are counting age-wise and so it gets more
frustrating that
way. But if you can't accept the situation, then you are going to  have a very
difficult time.

It is something that I have always come to terms with at United  since I signed in
1996. It is a great club to be with and a fantastic  feeling still to be playing and
training with such great players.
I didn't want to leave United and go somewhere else and then find
out something happens here and I could have played. That's always in
your mind. With that thought always there, then you have to say accept the  situation
and if your chance comes take it and make the best of it.

Everything is perfect here at Old Trafford so, with due respect, if  you leave United
then anything else would be a step down. I enjoyed  last season because I played a lot
and it is that which keeps you  going and confident something could happen again.

That's why I was so annoyed when I learnt about Fabien's injury
recently. I was in Holland having treatment when I heard the news  that he'd pulled
out of the Leicester game. Maybe it was good that  you didn't see my reaction! I was
disappointed, frustrated and  annoyed. I had a little tear in the cartilage. Which has
been repaired. I  started training again on Monday and have been working solidly with
Tony Coton."

---------------------------------
[27] Mellorphant at it again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Does Mellor ever shut up - from soccernet.

"Andy Cole's long-over-due goal may not turn him into a top-notch
international striker but it might, perhaps, make him a nicer bloke.

I find his perpetual scowl depressing, and his chippiness offensive.  His apparent
unwillingness in an England shirt to chase anything  other than an inch-perfect pass
and the way his shoulders appear to  drop when the going gets tough, are surely fatal
flaws which, at 29,  he is hardly likely to eradicate.

Cole thinks he is done down but I wonder how many other players would
get away with allegedly refusing to talk to a colleague for three
years because Teddy Sheringham had the temerity to criticise him for
not tracking back, or telling a journalist who had come to interview
him at home that: 'Andy Cole don't make tea.'"

Er, quite a lot David if you actually knew how many fueds there are at OT at any one
time.

"After all, I dare say even Her Majesty has been known to put on a
cuppa from time to time, so why shouldn't this spoilt and moody so
and so?  But if you want to know what really sticks in my throat about him, it  is all
this Andrew Cole nonsense. Since his authorised biography  calls him Andy, why
shouldn't the rest of us?

If his boss had suddenly announced he was henceforth to be known as
Sir Alexander Ferguson, we'd have laughed him to scorn, so why Andy
has got away with persuading half the media to obey this silly whim
born of self-obsession baffles me. In the long run, I doubt whether a six-yard tap-in
has turned  Manchester United's Cole into an England great.

Ian Wright made a similar bad start and in the end managed nine goals
in 32 outings, four of them against San Marino. I can't see Cole
doing better.  Sad to say, what Cole so resents is not prejudice at all, just the
inevitable recognition by objective folk that whatever his talents at  club level, he
is not now, never has been and never will be a  dependable international striker of
the front rank."

Fuck off you Chelsea twat.

---------------------------------
[26] Big Fat Ron on Andrew Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"All that criticism of Cole last week was just people jumping on the
bandwagon - I remember Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer going a long
time without scoring for England - and the goal he slotted away on
Wednesday will have taken a lot of pressure off the lad.

It's funny how his luck turned: he'd been booked and knew he was
going to be suspended for the trip to Greece, so his confidence must
have been shot. Then he popped up with a goal in the last few seconds
and suddenly it couldn't have worked out better for him. There wasn't
another kick after he tucked the ball away - a really tidy finish,
the type of goal I love to see strikers snaffle, close in but clean.

But I don't think it was a coincidence that Cole perked up in the
Albania game when Teddy Sheringham came on. He has always done well
next to a link striker: a Peter Beardsley at Newcastle, a Sheringham
or a Dwight Yorke at Manchester United. He has such great movement
but he wants to be twisting and turning into space while the ball is
being worked in midfield or with a linkman who can then slip him away
with a cunning pass."

---------------------------------
[25] Big Fat Ron on he scores goals Scholes
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Funnily enough, I thought Scholesy ended up as our best player  against Albania, but
he only came into his own when Sheringham was  introduced. Teddy held the ball up and
his presence not only
encouraged Cole but also Scholes, who had been playing very deep.
With someone holding the ball up ahead of him he was able to motor
upfield in support and in the last 20 minutes he dominated the game.

He's got very quick feet and links play well, but if the front
players keep losing possession, or if the front lads are the type who
like to turn and run at defenders, it makes it very difficult for the
attacking midfielders to get up in support. They need a stopping-off
place up front to give them a chance to eat up the ground."

---------------------------------
[24] Wenger not going to Barca
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Barcelona president Joan Gaspart told the Daily Mail:

 "I spoke personally to Arsene Wenger and Roma's Fabio Capello about possibly taking
over at the end of the season. Unfortunately, I couldn't guarantee that anyone would
actually take over as the matter depends on Ferrer's success. Capello didn't want to
wait and see, so he renewed his contract at Roma. Wenger told me he still has a
contract with Arsenal that runs until 2002 and that he wanted to fulfil that. So both
men are ruled out in case Serra Ferrer doesn't succeed and has to leave."

---------------------------------
[23] Reserves lose again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From official site:

'Quinton Fortune scored a cracking lob, but could not stop United Reserves going down
3-2 to Everton on Thursday. Quinton scored the Reds' second equaliser of the night
after Alan Tate had cancelled out Phil Jevons' opener. Nick Chadwick scored at the
death for the visitors to Gigg Lane, however, keeping Mike Phelan's lads fourth in the
Reserve League.'

---------------------------------
[22] Crap quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Analysts downplayed the effects of the assault trial of players Lee Bowyer and
Jonathan Woodgate. Yesterday Leeds United's share price suffered, down 4% on Thursday
to just 11p.'

Stan Lock of Brewin Dolphin Securities: "I can't see it doing that much damage in the
long term; but the adverse publicity has clearly scared some investors. Fans have
short memories, and at the end of the day they're the ones fuelling the club's future."

Oh right so if the trial goes the way some are thinking it won't be remembered for
long eh - no chance!

---------------------------------
[21] More from Raimond
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's always a tough game against Liverpool. It's a special game as well and Liverpool
want to beat United and United always want to beat Liverpool. The last time we played
against them we lost 1-0 so we have to do something about that."

---------------------------------
[20] Raimond says he's ready for Liverpool
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Raimond van der Gouw  said: "When we made the appointment for the surgery our target
was Liverpool and at the moment everything is going the right way. I'm training with
TC - Tony Coton, I started last Monday and it's going very well. I've no problems and
I hope I will be fit for Liverpool and otherwise I will be fit for Tuesday."

So no Goram?

---------------------------------
[19] Our rivals - pah!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Leeds Sporting PLC, the holding company of Leeds United Football Club, have reported
a 67 per cent increase in turnover for the six months to December 31 2000. Turnover
rose from £24.6million to £41million, excluding exceptional income.

Peter Ridsdale said: "Our investments in the team and in the business infrastructure
are delivering excellent results both on and off the pitch."

Over the half year, gate receipts rose 26 per cent to £7.7million with average league
attendances at 38,993, just down from 39,044 in 1999.'

Wow.

And Peter Ridsdale on the most stylish fans in the country award  said: "We're proud
of our special bond between club and fans at Leeds
United. We are delighted our supporters have received this accolade (for style)."

---------------------------------
[18] Becks loving England captaincy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I wouldn't say I'm a natural captain. I'm getting stronger as a captain and feeling a
lot  more comfortable in the role as well. I feel I've got a new authority  in my
game. You've got to have that as England captain. When I said I didn't think I was a
natural leader, it was  because I hadn't done it before. I thought it might take me a
few
games to get into it.

I'd never led any side at this sort of level before. I knew I could  step in and do a
sound job and that it was just a case of working at  it. Now I've done that. But yes,
I think I'm a natural leader now. It would be tremendous to take these young players
to the World
Cup. The first time was special and to do it with this bunch of young
lads would be unbelievable for me.  We're playing excellent football and the spirit is
superb  considering we've only had three games together. But we know there's  still a
lot of work to do and we're not getting carried away."

---------------------------------
[17] One little reported incident
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Shown on SKY last night was a fat England 'fan' approaching Cole as he got on the
England team bus and saying something along the lines of 'good goal mate, about time
after all those misses' to which Cole replied something about how good said fat bloke
could be for the team.

---------------------------------
[16] More from McClaren on England
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The spirit in the camp before, during and after the  last two World Cup matches, has
been just tremendous and without it  we might not have won those two matches.  The
staff have been unbelievable and, whatever happens, this has been a tremendous
experience."

---------------------------------
[15] Sven wants McClaren to stay
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I would like him to stay. I want to keep that team  intact because I have been
delighted with the way it has worked."

---------------------------------
[14] McClaren on future with England"
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Whether I can stay is  really dependent on Manchester United.  I do work for United
and first and foremost I want what is best for  them. I think the manager will see
that is what happens.  But I would like to carry on as it has been a very rewarding
experience. My situation was briefly discussed in Albania but I think  everyone was
really focusing on the match and getting the right result."

---------------------------------
[13] That Burton survey
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
via Soccernet - a poll with shocking results!

'The wait was worth it. Here are the results of the Burton's League Of
Style 2001.  Leeds fans, especially, will enjoy reading the results. In this poll  of
over 1,800 fans - conducted here on Soccernet - they came out on  top. The home of
Harry Ramsdens and Harvey Nichols is now home to the most  stylish supporters of the
beautiful game as well.'

Er, you what!

In the full list Leeds are top with:

'1  Leeds United
    35% of Leeds fans spend over £100 a month on clothes'

What they surely fail to mention is that they mean in a lifetime.

---------------------------------
[12] Latest team news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Steven Gerrard could be back for them, and looks likely that Becks and Andy Cole will
play with Giggs and Barthez possibly subs.

Liverpool (from): Westerveld, Babbel, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Smicer, Gerrard,
McAllister, Hamann, Biscan, Arphexad, Ziege, Heskey, Fowler, Owen, Berger, Barmby,
Murphy, Wright.

Manchester United (from): Barthez, G Neville, Stam, Brown, Silvestre, Beckham, Keane,
Scholes, Giggs, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Solskjaer, Butt, Irwin, P Neville, Van der
Gouw, Goram.

---------------------------------
[11] Monkey head wants to be like us
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Scouse wannabee Reid on readytogo.net

"I want Sunderland to be a successful team like Manchester United and
if we are to move in that direction, we have to get players coming
through the ranks. You can't buy success, it's impossible.

Manchester United never buy success. Sir Alex Ferguson has been  there so long that
now when you look at the first team you can see  the kind of players they have brought
through - Ryan Giggs, David  Beckham, the Nevilles, Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes.
That's why I  think that our new Academy will play a massive part in the future of
this club when it opens in the summer of 2002. It will take another  year but it will
be big and it's something that I am really looking forward to seeing come to fruition."

---------------------------------
[10] Get on a cheap bus to Munich
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ambassador Travel have 6 places left on their coach to munich.

£129 each - departs blackpool noon monday 16th april
pick ups preston, manchester, then pick ups on route on M6/M1/M25/M2 Folkestone for le
shuttle crossing.
Travel through the night arrive Munich approx 10am tuesday, one nights city centre
hotel return after the match.
Ring 01253300250 for details.

---------------------------------
[9] Becks on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Andy has had a lot of criticism over the past week or so because he hasn't scored for
England. It's not been for a want of trying. He always works hard for the 90 minutes
like on Wednesday and got his just deserts in the end and now he's silenced the people
who doubted him. If any player gets a certain amount of stick, and most of us do at
some stage of our careers, then once they come through that they can go on and do
really good things. The good thing is that Andy is a really positive person and he
goes into every game thinking he's going to score. He showed that attitude in Albania
and got his reward in the end."

---------------------------------
[8] The ego has re-landed
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Michael Owen is Saint Michael again after a few goals. His head will be as big as ever
come Saturday.

Sven: "Michael Owen has quality which very few attackers have. He is very good on the
ball, is intelligent and scores goals, but also very quick and can run in behind
defenders. I am very happy if he wants to be the new Alan Shearer. I don't want to say
that I will give the shirt to Michael Owen for the next five years, he has to compete
with the others. But he deserves it at the moment and it what happens next depends on
him more than it depends on me."

Pass the sick bucket.

---------------------------------
[7] Bang goes my holiday plans
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Having sex with animals could soon be outlawed in Illinois. The state's 113
politicians have passed a bill banning bestiality after finding it was accidentally
legalised decades ago. The offence would be punishable by up to three years in prison
and the penalty would increase if animals are harmed or someone under 18 is involved.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals campaigned for the
legislation claiming the internet had led to a rise in bestiality. The group says
websites offer advice to newcomers and promote animal orientated sex parties in barns
and basements. The bestiality bill will now be passed to the senate.'

Animal sex parties - now I know why Leeds fans love raves so much.

---------------------------------
[6] Greening injury suddenly improves!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the official site:

'Jonathan Greening could still play again this season, contrary to the Daily Mail's
claim that he'd broken his ankle. Sir Alex Ferguson has told ManUtd.com that the
England Under-21 midfielder has fractured a bone in his foot, for which the estimated
recovery time is six weeks.'

Which still makes him ready (May 10th) for only four possible games, and can hardly
see him suddenly being chosen ahead of any potential European Cup Final we, please
God, may have.

---------------------------------
[5] Rio Ferdinance on Albanian missile throwers
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I went over to join in the celebrations after Andy Cole's goal there were rocks,
bottles and cigarette lighters coming out of the sky at us"

(cue joke - I thought I was back at Elland Road)

"It was frightening. Ashley was hit on the head but the injury could have been so much
worse if the object had been a bit lower and hit him in the eye."

---------------------------------
[4] And they think they are a rival...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'The high price of good football players is expected to affect Leeds Sporting's
interim results, published tomorrow. Analysts are predicting Rio Ferdinand's £18
million price tag will dent the company's profits, which are still expected to be in
excess of £3 million. But turnover is expected to rise by 54% to £57.1 million.

Stan Lock, of Brewin Dolphin Securities: "Overall, it's been a brilliant year for
Leeds; they just keep going from strength to strength. They have an extremely young
squad which bodes well for the future of the club, and of course, they have a
world-class player in Rio Ferdinand."

Is he having a laugh - world class as the Royle Family would say 'my arse!'.

---------------------------------
[3] Toshack to step up
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
'John Toshack is to step down as coach of Real Sociedad at the end of the season.
However, the former Real Madrid boss will not be severing his links with the San
Sebastian club, instead taking up the role of Sporting Manager. Jose Luis Astianzaran,
the new president of Real Sociedad, revealed former Liverpool player Toshack would
have the final say on who takes over as team coach.'

Call for Joe Royle anyone. No, thought not.

---------------------------------
[2] New Red News out Tuesday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Issue 76 - just £1.50 before the Bayern match on sale enabling you to help the
fanzine, web site and those poor little Ewoks starving on their home planet.

---------------------------------
[1] Where did Fergie get to last weekend and who with?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 30, 2001 by bar-knee:
Well he was in Dubai for the big race, 'grinning happily' when told of Becks' goal at
Anfield - and there watching the race alongside him were Robbo (Bryan of course)
and...David O'Leary.

---------------------------------
[34] Antwerp keep Utd player
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Teamtalk

'John O'Shea's loan spell at Royal Antwerp has been extended until the  end of the
season after a series of fine displays for the Belgian  outfit.  The Irish defender
and young striker Jimmy Davis originally went over  to join United's Belgian partners
for three months but, after greatly  impressing the Antwerp management, he has been
asked to stay for  another three months.  Davis, however, will return to Old Trafford
when his contract expires at the end of this month.'

---------------------------------
[33] Reserves play tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Teamtalk

'Quinton Fortune is aiming to stake a claim for a first team spot at  Liverpool this
weekend as United's reserves take on Everton at Bury  tonight.'

United:- Rachubka; Clegg, Tate, Wallwork, Pugh; Fortune, Wilson,
Williams, Stewart, Muirhead; Djordjic.

---------------------------------
[32] Cole's agent on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Andy was obviously very pleased. He told me  that Sven-Goran Eriksson had pulled him
aside before the game and  said, `you keep giving me the kind of performances you have
against  Spain and Finland and that's what I want.'

He went on to say that his level of performance he'd produced for  him was what he
wanted and he wasn't bothered about the goals. He  left that thought with him. It was
a lasting talk in Andy's mind when  he went out. I thought that was a great piece of
management. Andy still wanted to score last night, but he was more euphoric  when he
talked on the phone on the bus about the result and his set  up for Scholes' goal. He
was delighted about that.

The goal was the icing on the cake. And don't let anyone tell you
it was a simple tap because I watched it about nine times afterwards  and if you watch
his movement, it was superb to make a half-a-yard on
his marker. It was a vital goal as well because we were on the rocks at that  stage. I
think the joy in the celebrations on the pitch were
replicated around the country by right-minded people. I watched the
game in my office and I had loads of calls afterwards from family,
friends, media people and football personalities saying how pleased
they were for him. Personally, I almost broke one of my work colleagues' back when I
jumped on him and I was hugging the TV! Apparently the scenes in  Andy's house were
something else as well."

---------------------------------
[31] Yonners agree SKY deal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
'BOLTON are to scoop a £20,000 appearance fee for agreeing to take
part in a Sky TV experiment.  They have agreed to a Football League request to delay
the kick-off  of their game at Barnsley on Saturday, April 28, to 6.00pm so it can  be
televised live.Earlier they had rejected the money, which is paid to an away club
taking part in a live match, because it meant bringing the game  forward to Friday
night.'

---------------------------------
[30] Leeds trial latest
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Et tu...

'Jonathan Woodgate lied to police to put Lee Bowyer "in the frame" for
a savage attack on an Asian student, and shift blame away from
himself and his friends, Hull Crown court was told today.
Bowyer's lawyer Desmond de Silva also told the jury that Tony
Hackworth, who was earlier cleared of serious assault, had "thrown
the police off the scent" by lying about what happened the night
Sarfraz Najeib was battered unconscious.

Mr de Silva said there was CCTV evidence, together with that of
witnesses, that Bowyer had not been outside the Majestyk nightclub
when there was a confrontation with a group of Asians that resulted
in Mr Najeib and his friends being chased.

By the time Bowyer was pictured leaving the club the confrontation
was over. And by the time he had followed, and fallen over in nearby
Boar Lane, the incident involving Mr Najeib "was probably not just
well under way, it was probably over," said Mr de Silva.

He said that Woodgate and his friends Clifford and Caveney had all
said to police that Bowyer was involved in the chase. That was now
accepted as inaccurate.

"You have to be very careful what one defendant says about another in
their absence," he said. "You don't have to be a Philadelphia lawyer
to know that people in trouble sometimes try to shift blame to
others.

"The Middlesbrough boys were putting Lee Bowyer forward, putting him
in the frame. Whether Mr Woodgate owed a greater loyalty to his
Middlesbrough friends than he owed to his team-mate Lee Bowyer is a
matter for you," he continued.

"It is loyalty. Jonathan Woodgate's loyalty to them or their loyalty
to him. Nobody seems to have owed Lee Bowyer any loyalty, that is
certain."

Mr de Silva told the jury that Bowyer seemed to have had a planned
visit to a lap-dancing club on his mind at the time rather than
violence. "He seemed to have lap-dancing on his mind, not affray," he
said. "He seemed to have girls on his mind, not grievous bodily harm.

"He had been to this lap-dancing club and in the bar of the Majestyk
those who had been that night thought it was a place worth going back
to. He was really quite excited about the prospect and did not want
to miss out on a lively evening with the ladies."

Mr de Silva also said that one of the group of Asians had given a
description of the man who attacked Mr Najeib's brother Shahzad in
Mill Hill as a 6ft tall skinhead, wearing a black shirt and black
trousers.

He said the jury might think that was a good description of Leeds
United reserve team striker Tony Hackworth, who was acquitted three
weeks ago on the orders of the trial judge because of insufficient
evidence.

The court has been told that a trace of Shahzad Najeib's blood was
found on Bowyer's black leather jacket. Mr de Silva said: "Just
supposing that (Hackworth) had been Shahzad's attacker there is a
chance he might have got some of Shahzad's blood on him."

He said Hackworth was in a group who had brushed past and jostled
Bowyer as they come out of Mill Hill. Mr de Silva said Hackworth had
told "lie after lie after lie" to police, first about leaving the
nightclub alone and then claiming he got a taxi home.

In fact he had travelled in the car of young Leeds player Brian
McCrystal, in which they were joined by Bowyer. Mr de Silva said
Hackworth had helped Bowyer into the back of the two-door car.

"If Hackworth had even a trace of Shahzad's blood you see how easily
that tiny smear could have got on Lee Bowyer's jacket," he said.

De Silva also told the jury that two witnesses who were the pillars
of the prosecution case against the midfielder, who were in Mill
Hill, Leeds, when 20-year-old Sarfraz Najeib was kicked and beaten,
had been shown to be "completely wrong".

The two bar workers had both said that Bowyer was at the scene - but
had given a description of a different man, said Mr de Silva.

One of them had also claimed that Bowyer was the man who had bitten
Mr Najeib on the cheek in the attack. But a prosecution expert had
ruled that out and said it was another defendant, Paul Clifford, said
Mr de Silva. "We know now that was a terribly wrong identification,"
he said.

He said Bowyer had maintained from the beginning that he had never
been in Mill Hill on the night of the attack in January last year.

"You know he has maintained that constantly and you know he has
maintained that before you," he said. "I suppose someone could say
cynically, 'He would say that, wouldn't he?' But it is not just him
saying it. There is a massive body of prosecution evidence that
suggests Lee Bowyer was not there at the time of confrontation and
that he was not part of this chase that resulted to the injuries to
Sarfraz Najeib in Mill Hill."

---------------------------------
[29] New player linked with Utd
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
How many is this for the season so far...

'AC Milan and Manchester Utd are strongly chasing Ajax midfielder Rafael Van  Der
Vaart, 18.'

"Playing with Ajax is  like a fairy tale. Many are those who try their luck here. I
did it and I  hope that I can do one like this".

Whatever that means.

---------------------------------
[28] Don't they realise how bad the traffic is these days?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
A team of jailbreakers from Dartmoor will be attempting to visit as many of the 92
English Premier and Football Leagues as they can in 48 hours to raise money for
charity. Backed by talkSPORT 1089/1053AM, which has provided a Nissan Terrano for the
attempt, the team of six will go over the wall at Dartmoor on Saturday April 21 at
10:30am. The charities which will benefit from the jailbreak are the Bobby
Moore Fund for Cancer Research, and Vranch House school for children with cerebral
palsy in Exeter.

The plan is to visit clubs in the following order:

        Saturday April 21
10.30           Depart Dartmoor prison
10.55   Plymouth Argyle
11.42   Torquay United
12.09   Exeter City
14.30   Swansea City
15.15   Cardiff City
16.05   Bristol City
16.20   Bristol Rovers
16.55   Cheltenham Town
17.40   Swindon Town
18.30   Oxford United
19.05   Wycombe Wanderers
19.30   Reading
20.50   AFC Bournemouth
21.25   Southampton
21.55   Portsmouth
22.55   Brighton and Hove Albion

Sunday April 22
00.05   Crystal Palace/Wimbledon
00.30   Fulham
00.40   Chelsea
00.50   Queen's Park Rangers
01.05   Brentford
01.25   Watford
01.45   Luton Town
02.20   Barnet
02.40   Tottenham Hotspur
02.50   Arsenal
03.05   Leyton Orient
03.10   West Ham United
03.20   Charlton Athletic
03.30   Millwall
03.55   Gillingham
04.30   Southend United
05.30   Colchester United
06.05   Ipswich Town
07.05   Norwich City
08.30   Cambridge United
09.20   Peterborough United
10.20   Northampton Town
11.05   Coventry City
11.30   Leicester City
12.05   Nottingham Forest
12.10   Notts County
12.35   Derby County
13.20   Stoke City
13.30   Port Vale
13.45   Crewe Alexandra
14.35   Walsall
14.45   West Bromwich Albion
14.55   Aston Villa
15.05   Birmingham City
15.25   Kidderminster Harriers
15.50   Wolverhampton Wanderers
16.25   Shrewsbury Town
17.15   Wrexham
17.50   Tranmere Rovers
18.05   Everton
18.15   Liverpool
18.35   Wigan Athletic
18.55   Bolton Wanderers
19.10   Bury
19.50   Macclesfield Town
20.10   Stockport County
20.25   Manchester United
20.35   Manchester City
20.47   Oldham Athletic
20.55   Rochdale
21.25   Huddersfield Town
21.55   Barnsley
22.15   Rotherham United
22.25   Sheffield Wednesday
22.40   Sheffield United
22.50   Chesterfield
23.05   Mansfield Town
23.55           Lincoln City

Monday April 23
00.45   Scunthorpe United
01.15   Grimsby Town
01.50   Hull City
02.50   York City
03.25   Leeds United
03.45   Bradford City
04.05   Halifax Town
04.35   Burnley
04.50   Blackburn Rovers
05.15   Preston North End
05.40   Blackpool
07.25   Carlisle United
08.45   Newcastle United
09.10   Sunderland
09.40   Hartlepool United
09.55   Middlesbrough
10.15           Darlington

Bloody hell they'll need good luck for that, advice - skip the city bit!

[27] New Red News out on Tuesday
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Issue 76. Just £1.50 at the match or order via post. Go on, you know it makes sense
and does a lot less damage to the ozone that George Bush.