---------------------------------
[26] But Bayern players don't won't to talk about it
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Bayern Munich manager Ottmar Hitzfeld has banned his players from
talking to the media ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash with
United.'

"Everyone here seem only interested in that  Manchester match. Players are getting
asked all the time by  journalists from all over. There's no sense in tolerating this.
 Players must concentrate on their job, but not talk to the media all  the time."

'Only youngster Owen Hargreaves was allowed to participate in three
English TV interviews, as the England Under 21 international won't
have a spot in Hitzfeld's plans for the trip to Manchester.'

---------------------------------
[25] Bayern getting quite excited
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Check the Bayern web site out at

(link:http://www.fcb.de/en/home) http://www.fcb.de/en/home

They are tagging our Qtr Final out as 'The Revenge' and quite a bit about the game.

---------------------------------
[24] Another giddy Scouser/German
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Hammann: "We've  got two massive games coming up against Manchester United and
Barcelona, but I'm confident we can win both of them. At Old Trafford  we beat Man
United and were easily the better team - there's no  reason why we can't do it again.
I think our fans will be happy if we  finish the season having beaten United twice.
It's going to be a very  tough game but we are all up for it."

Yeah, sod winning the league, they can claim that - and it's not even going to happen!

H"The semi-final of the UEFA Cup is going to be a fantastic
occasion as well. They are one of the biggest teams in the world, but
we don't fear them. We are a world class side as well and capable of
beating anybody on our day. It seems that Liverpool have a massive
game once a week, but we aren't tiring just yet. I think it's easy to
get yourself up for these big games and I can't see us fading."

Liverpool - world class. Hmm, trade descriptions act anybody?

---------------------------------
[23] Southgate on Scholes
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He's scored so many critical goals for both club and country. He's
arguably the best player we have. That touch for the Owen goal
mirrored the ball he played to David Beckham for the second goal
against Finland - simple but devastating. Even away from the penalty
box he's vital to us, keeping it simple but keeping the team moving
and not losing possession.

Albania actually posed us very few problems until the very end. When
Sol Campbell came off injured you worried for a moment, but Wes Brown
and Rio Ferdinand were rock-solid. That's another big plus-point for
England - this must have been one of the youngest teams we've ever
put out in a competitive international, yet we handled a potentially
tricky tie with aplomb."

---------------------------------
[22] Scousers accused
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Not the most original of headlines but still!

'A new report claims the alcohol industry is targeting children as
young as 11 as part of a systematic campaign to encourage under-age
drinking. The study entitled Marketing Alcohol To Young People claims children  are
bombarded with positive images of alcohol from the moment they  understand their
surroundings until they grow up.

The report criticises the targeting of babies, especially Carlsberg's
deal with Liverpool Football Club, which offered romper suits
featuring the brewer's logo. It states: "Creating brand allegiance
among children and young people is an investment the industry is sure
to cash in on."

---------------------------------
[21] massive city ticket rush
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ignoring the masochistic tendencies of the bitters, at least they get
a discount for renewing early, why can't we do the same?

>From MEN:

"MANCHESTER City's loyal fans"

(not that old chestnut)

"...are ignoring the club's uncertain Premiership future and backing the Blues with
their hard-earned cash.  More than 5,000 have already renewed their season tickets at
a  discounted rate and that figure is expected to double before the  offer ends on
Saturday.

It is a remarkable affirmation of faith by City supporters, who still
do not know which division they will be watching their team in next
term.

And it is something that is deeply appreciated by the Blues.

"You always hope that your fans will support the future of the club
and ours always tend to deliver above expectations,'' declared chief
operating officer and director, Chris Bird. ``This year is no
different.

``We are delighted that so many people have taken advantage of the
discount scheme, it is our policy to make Maine Road as accessible to
as many people as possible.''

The Blues have raised prices between eight and ten per cent for next
season, still leaving them firmly at the bottom of the table when it
comes to prices for watching Premiership games.

And their season ticket renewal package is benefiting greatly from
the World Wide Web. For the first time, fans are able to take up their option of a
discounted ticket by using an application form on the official City  website at
www.mcfc.co.uk. Already more than 1,000 fans have used the service."

---------------------------------
[20] Leeds trial update
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
'There is a "massive body of evidence" to show that Leeds United footballer Lee Bowyer
was not at the scene of a savage attack on a student, his QC says. Desmond de Silva
told the jury at Hull Crown Court that two witnesses, who were in Mill Hill when
Sarfraz Najeib was beaten, had been shown to be "completely wrong".

The two bar workers had both said that Bowyer was at the scene - but gave a
description of a different man, de Silva told the court.

One of them also claimed that Bowyer was the man who had bitten Mr Najeib on the cheek
in the attack. But a prosecution expert ruled that out and said it was another
defendant, Paul Clifford.

"We know now that was a terribly wrong identification," he said.

He says Bowyer has maintained from the beginning that he was never in Mill Hill on the
night of the attack on the 20-year-old in January last year.

"You know he has maintained that constantly and you know he has maintained that before
you," he said.

"I suppose someone could say cynically, 'He would say that, wouldn't he?' But it is
not just him saying it.

"There is a massive body of prosecution evidence that suggests Lee Bowyer was not
there at the time of confrontation and that he was not part of this chase that
resulted to the injuries to Sarfraz Najeib in Mill Hill."

---------------------------------
[19] Hansen backs United players
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was fitting that Paul Scholes got the second after setting up the first, and his
record of 11 goals in 33 internationals is extraordinary for a midfielder. I thought
that David Beckham was influential as well.

When you're looking for an up-tempo performance you want your captain to lead by
example and the way Beckham sprinted to take corners impressed me. It was also great
to see Beckham and the rest of the England players chase after Andy Cole when he
scored. That showed the spirit there is in the side."

---------------------------------
[18] Dwight international update
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
This from RN reader - the horn man himself (and you learn something new every day -
clocks change in New York as well as going forward over here. Well I never).

'Just finished watching Costa Rica v Trinidad and Tobago on an American  Spanish
language station. Firstly and most importantly Dwight did not injure  himself and
should be well fit for Saturday..in fact he did fuck all. Now I  wouldn't say he was
shite but he had really poor service etc..(he was f****** hopeless..hate to say it).
That c**t porkchope came on for Costa Rica 10 mins  into the second half and scored
twice as Costa Rica ran out 3-0 winners. Just  thought you might want to inform the
red masses of this one before the divs
get hold of it and claim it as something it is not.'

---------------------------------
[17] The other Cole on Cole's goal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ashley Cole: "I'm not too sure what happened but we were celebrating Andy Cole's goal
and something hit me in the face. It actually caught me in the eye. It hurt a little
and I've got a little cut. It was a bit of a shock and I think there was a bottle
which hit me, although I'm not too sure about that. The good thing is I am fine and
this is still a proud day for me, making my debut for my country."

Football Association spokesman Adrian Bevington said: "Clearly we are furious at
missiles being thrown in the first place and secondly that it has actually hit one of
our players. We have already raised the issue with the Fifa delegate at the game. He
is fully aware and we will be taking this further as a matter of urgency. It is
scandalous that this can happen in international football and we will be launching an
official complaint. We will be taking this further. You cannot expect players at any
level to be put at risk from missiles being thrown."

Sven: "It is a pity that this happened but it is for Fifa and not for me to talk
about."

---------------------------------
[16] Sven on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"At least no one can now say that he hasn't scored for six years. I'm very happy for
him because he has worked so hard. Never to have scored for his country may have
disturbed him a bit but the ice is broken. He played very well."

Cole will now miss their next qualifier though after being booked for the 2nd time in
the group. Bet the Mirror will say they'll miss him now - ABUs eh!

---------------------------------
[15] Joke of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
No, please stop, you're killing me.

'Manchester City goalkeeper Nicky Weaver is a shock target for Ajax,
reports Planet Football.'

---------------------------------
[15] Greening has broken ankle
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Soccernet

'Manchester United are considering demanding compensation from the Football
Association after Old Trafford midfielder Jonathan Greening returned from England duty
with a broken ankle. Greening, who scored the Under-21s' winning goal against Albania
in Tirana, hobbled off late in the game to leave England with only ten men. The ankle
swelled up overnight on Tuesday and, after returning to Manchester, he
was taken to hospital, where X-rays revealed a fracture.'

He could be out for 4 months.

---------------------------------
[14] Ole scores but Norway in deep trouble
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Norway lost again and bottom of their group - but Ole equalised in the 68th minute
against Belarus, only to see the home team snatch a 2-1 win.

---------------------------------
[12] Ref to report Albanian coin throwers
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Referee Alain Hamer will include details of the missile-throwing incident in his
official report on England's win over Albania. Ashley Cole fell to the ground
clutching his face in the final minute of the 3-1 win, reportedly struck by a lipstick
case thrown from the crowd while he was celebrating Andy Cole's goal.'

Hamer confirmed: "It will be in my match report - but I do not believe it was serious."

Fifa  said: "For every Fifa game there is a report from the referee and from the
commissioner, and if there have been some incidents they will be reported to Fifa and
then the process will start. It is impossible to speak about precedents or what is
within our powers, because each case is so particular."

---------------------------------
[13] Great point
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
With so many Chubbings around for Boro for people who usually win every balllot this
point from the IMUSA list seems spot on:

'We also got Chubbed - only the third time this season.  It will be interesting to see
just who gets a Chubbing for this one.  With the decreased allocation and the fuss
about standing, what's the betting most of the tickets have gone to the conspicuous
block of "fans" who always sit down at aways?'

---------------------------------
[12] Uuurrrrrgggghhhh!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'The rugby player who put his finger up opponents' bottoms has been banned for 12
weeks in Australia. John Hopoate, of the Wests Tigers, had claimed he was only trying
to pull up the shorts of the North Queensland players. But a National Rugby League
disciplinary committee found the Tongan player guilty of unsportsmanlike interference.

NRL judiciary commissioner Jim Hall described the case as the worst he had experienced
in his 45-year involvement in rugby league. "I've never come across a more disgusting
allegation than I've had to deal with now," he said.

He looked at video footage and heard testimony from Peter Jones, Paul Bowman and Glenn
Morrison of North Queensland, who all claimed Hopoate had inserted his finger into
their bottoms during play.

The former international insisted he had just tried to give Mr Jones and Mr Morrison a
"wedgie" - pulling their shorts up their bottoms - to make them play the ball quickly.
He also claimed he did not put his finger up Mr Bowman's bottom.

Mr Jones said: "It wasn't a wedgie. That's when your pants are pulled up your arse. I
think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my
bum."

Mr Bowman said: "There was pressure there. I know he wasn't doing it accidentally. He
was definitely pushing. I was disgusted. I couldn't believe it. I know it's a tough
game, but there's no room for that."

Hopoate's defence lawyer said Mr Bowman had slowed play by holding Hopoate's leg after
a tackle. Mr Bowman replied to the QC: "If I held your leg, would that give you the
right to put your finger up my arse?"

Tigers coach Terry Lamb said it was reasonably common to be touched in the region of
the testicles. The club is to appeal against the decision.'

---------------------------------
[11] Leeds trial latest
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
'There is a "massive body of evidence" to show that Leeds United footballer Lee Bowyer
was not at the scene of a savage attack on a student, his QC says. Desmond de Silva
told the jury at Hull Crown Court that two witnesses, who were in Mill Hill when
Sarfraz Najeib was beaten, had been shown to be "completely wrong".

The two bar workers had both said that Bowyer was at the scene - but gave a
description of a different man, Mr de Silva says. One of them also claimed that Bowyer
was the man who had bitten Mr Najeib on the cheek in the attack. But a prosecution
expert ruled that out and said it was another defendant, Paul Clifford, says Mr de
Silva.

"We know now that was a terribly wrong identification," he said. He says Bowyer has
maintained from the beginning that he was never in Mill Hill on the night of the
attack on the 20-year-old in January last year.

"You know he has maintained that constantly and you know he has maintained that before
you," he said. "I suppose someone could say cynically, 'He would say that, wouldn't
he?' But it is not just him saying it.

"There is a massive body of prosecution evidence that suggests Lee Bowyer was not
there at the time of confrontation and that he was not part of this chase that
resulted to the injuries to Sarfraz Najeib in Mill Hill."

---------------------------------
[10] Cheeky twats
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Daily Mirror from yesterday's back page to...

'X-CELLENT
We asked and he delivered...X marks the spot for goal hero Cole'

---------------------------------
[9] French view on Barthez speculation
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From our French correspondent:

"another point of view

Some Reds are speculating that Barthez's injury is a fluke, something  invented by Sir
Alex to avoid him playing in 2 friendlies with France.
Ferguson has probably already done it in the past but I can't believe this is  the
case with Barthez. He simply wouldn't accept it. Fabien loves United - sure - but he
also loves playing for France and he wouldn't have it this way, he loves going back
and mixing with his mates as well.  Also Barthez is trully an honest guy and he
wouldn't lie to the France coach.  For me Barthez's injury is genuine but I also
believe that he will have recovered for Liverpool."

Although we do still hear talk that Goram could play on Saturday - although
considering he's twice been the studio commentator in Scotland for the past two games
this week might suggest his training still needs to be added to the 'to do' list.

---------------------------------
[8] Mexes to Roma
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mexes did a live web chat last night, and the chat was in italian so it was hard to
understand everything. However, he seems  really excited by Roma and it will now be
presumably impossible to get him.

---------------------------------
[7] Joke of the day?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
There was this eighty year old fellow who went into the church and entered the
confessional.  He said to the priest, "I am eighty years old, have a wife and four
children and eleven grandchildren.  I have always been faithful... But last night I
met two eighteen year old girls and we had sex all night."

"When was the last time you were at confession?" asked the priest.

"Never," said the old man, "I'm Jewish."

"Then why are you telling me?" asked the priest.

"I'm telling everyone," said the old man.

---------------------------------
[6] Viera denies transfer talk
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There is no question about this. In my mind, there is only Arsenal. There is
everything at Arsenal for me to progress. The FA Cup is important for the fans and it
is vital we do well in the league. In the Champions League, we also want to go through
to the semi-finals so this is a period in which we need to do well. I cannot believe
he (Wenger) will leave Arsenal. He is still building at the club and he has been very
involved with the new stadium. I do not think he will be leaving this summer."

Viera proving his loyalty, exactly as Petit and Overmars did exactly a year ago in
fact!

---------------------------------
[5] SPECIAL OFFER FOR RED NEWS WEB READERS
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
And help the web site too.

Just send us a cheque for £6.50 made payable to Red News to Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG and we will send you the fantastic discounted offer of 10 BACK
ISSUES OF Red News with postage paid. A mix from all seasons (dating back to 1989)
read exclusive interviews after the Double win with Steve Bruce, what Teddy Sheringham
thought of his Utd chances after Monaco and all the thoughts of those eras. Well worth
it, get on this offer today and help the starving rabbits.

---------------------------------
[4] Remember where you read it here first!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
For it's up to our lovely (well...) and dedicated readership to spread the word about
some of our exclusives - whether it be translations of Eric, hot gossip or stuff like
the All Blacks rumours. The Evening Standard was the first paper to investigate saying
that All Blacks officials had only visited Utd to see our operation in, well,
operation - but soon other web sites, etc, started talking of rumours as if they were
their own. That will happen of course but remember where Red News leads, others
follow! (unfortuanely that usually applies to the bar as well...).

---------------------------------
[3] Best to return to see Doctor in London
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
'George Best is preparing to return to a London hospital for tests amid reports he had
fallen off the wagon and started drinking again. He is expected to attend the Cromwell
Hospital next week at the insistence of his wife Alex.

Best's agent confirms he is going back to London for tests with Professor Williams.

Phil Hughes says: "I spoke to George in detail yesterday and he's in great form. He is
planning to go back to London to see his consultant, although a date has not been
arranged. If he was that bad he would be in hospital now and not sitting at his home.
Professor Williams said he wanted to see George for some more tests and George agreed."

'But he is known to have cancelled a number of engagements in recent days, including
pulling out of an interview with Michael Parkinson on Saturday.'

---------------------------------
[2] And Mickey Silvestre played for France
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mickey played the whole game for France in Spain alongside Desailly in central
defence. He has a decent game but the team did not seem up for it and Spain won 2-1.
Mikael could have scored with a good header from a corner.

---------------------------------
[1] To all ABUs who slagged off Andrew Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Monday-Wednesday evening, what do you say now. What will the Mirror say to that
>- a good assist (sorry, sounding like a football luvvie) and a well taken goal - Sven
>earlier in the day said having so many Utd players in the side meant it worked as an
>"effective block". Well with 7 in the side at one stage last night did the ABUs not
>cheer their efforts on? Come on you Reds!
Final scores
Albania 1 Utd 3
Scotland 4 Pub team 0 (Colin Hendry getting away with a terrible elbow - 4 times! - in
the face of one hapless part-timer and then saying afterwards that he never touched
him!)
Another pub team 0 Eire 3
Wales 1 Ukraine 1 (Giggs not looking match fit but having a couple of good runs)
Bulgaria 4 N.Ireland 3
Red News 1 Brazil 0 in a highly competitive game

---------------------------------
[40] Giggs on his hamstring and playing tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I drove down to meet the Wales squad on Sunday after they got back
from Armenia. They had a really long journey and were quite
exhausted, so we didn't do much on Sunday. However, we had a couple
of good training sessions on Monday and Tuesday.

My relationship with Mark Hughes hasn't changed too much since he
became my international boss after years of being my team-mate for
both Wales and Manchester United. I've always got on really well with
him and we roomed together for Wales for years as well. I still call
him by his old nickname of 'Sparky', and he's fine with that. He
doesn't want to be called 'Boss' or 'Gaffer'.

There's no doubt that Sparky's very different to our gaffer back at
United. He's a quiet character, so he leaves all the shouting up to
his assistants, Mark Bowen and Eric Harrison, while he concentrates
on the organisation of the team. I think his organisation can be seen
in the positive results we've had lately.

Both Sparky and his team know what they're talking about and you can
see that the players really respect them. Above all, the players
really want to play for Sparky.

The mood amongst the Welsh squad is pretty good after our 2-2 draw
with Armenia. We would have liked to have won after we got ourselves
into a good position, but a draw is a decent result. We feel like
we're playing well at the moment, so this could be a good time to
meet the Ukraine.

Our aim from these two games was to get four points. We have one now,
so we have to try and beat the Ukraine. We've seen them on video and
they look a quality side. The obvious threat is their strikers,
Sergei Rebrov and Anderi Schevchenko. Not many teams in international
football can boast such a quality strike partnership. Rebrov has
found his form lately for Tottenham in the Premiership and he looks
an excellent player, while Schevchenko's scoring record in Italy says
it all. He is so quick and deadly in one on one situations.

However, we're at home in front of our own crowd and we'll be going
for the win. I'm told they expect a crowd of about 55,000 in Cardiff,
so if they can get behind us we'll give it our all. The pitch is
looking good at the Millennium stadium as no one has played on it
since the Worthington Cup final. We trained on it on Monday night and
liked what we saw.

I think we've taken a step in the right direction by making ourselves
hard to beat in this World Cup qualifying group. We've only lost once
and we've drawn three times, but now we have to win a few games.

Against the Ukraine on Wednesday would be a good time to start. We've
still got a good chance of getting that second play-off spot if we
can string together a few wins. We seem to be really strong
defensively at the moment and with players like Craig Bellamy, John
Hartson and Gary Speed, we have to be confident.

My hamstring seems to be in good nick now, so I will be playing on
Wednesday night. It'll be my first game for more than a month after I
pulled up in United's Champions' League game against Valencia, so I'm
really looking forward to getting out on the pitch again. It's been
frustrating to be out for so long just as the season reaches it's
climax.

Having said that I'm glad to be back now, not only for this Wales
game but also United's games against Liverpool in the Premiership and
our Champions' League quarter-final against Bayern Munich.

I actually played my first bit of football since picking up the
injury in a practice game against Molde, Ole Gunnar's old side, at
Carrington at the end of last week. I only played the first half, but
it was good to get some football under my belt. You can train as much
as you like, but you need games to regain your fitness. The hamstring
felt fine."

---------------------------------
[39] Eric's latest acting venture
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
'England are 'playing' Poland on a relaid Wembley pitch in the filming
of Mike Bassett: England Manager. As the real England team prepares to play Albania,
Ricky Tomlinson  plays manager to his own team. The original turf was removed from
Wembley last autumn, and it cost
£30,000 to relay it for the film.

In the film, Bassett is appointed national manager after leading
Norwich City to a League Cup triumph and just manages to take England
to the finals. Liverpool fan Tomlinson says of his character: "He's a real old-
fashioned England manager. He's an old journeyman footballer who  plays by the rules."

Pele, Ronaldo, Eric Cantona and Alan Hansen also feature in the film.

The players are mostly from Sky TV's soap The Dream Team. In Bradley Walsh, who plays
coach Dave Dodds, the film has someone  who once played at Wembley - for Brentford.
The £6 million film is being directed by Steve Barron, the man behind  Electric Dreams
and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the Evening Standard reports.'