---------------------------------
[31] FAI strike back
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
FAI chief  executive Bernard O'Byrne.

"If Roy Keane ever wants my seat on any Irish team flight all he has
to do is ask for it. There is not an FAI official who wouldn't give up his seat for a
player, if they were asked.  If Roy wants to come and talk to me about this, or if he
wants to  approach me with Mick McCarthy, then my door is always open.  This is
though, I feel, a non-issue at a time when World Cup  qualification is all that
matters.  In fact, I can't believe that we are having this conversation  because the
FAI's onus at all times is to look after the players and  do whatever is best for
them.

The arrangements for this flight were made in conjunction with the
management. The first aim was to keep the players together as a unit.  It has always
been felt that splitting the group of players up is
not a good option.  Anyway, the travel arrangements are no different now than they
were  for the away matches in any of Roy Keane's previous 49 caps so I find  it hard
to believe that it is suddenly an issue now.

The FAI accept that we need to improve  training facilities for our international
teams, all of them, and we  have made strides to improve them in recent years.  We
have already installed one international standard training pitch  at the Clonshaugh
complex Roy refers to and we will continue to  upgrade those facilities.  That was one
of the reasons why eircom Park and now Stadium Ireland  are so important to the FAI.

Again if Roy has anything he wants to say to me on this subject, all
he has to do is ask to talk about it. I will discuss it with him any
time he wants."

I think you can bet on that one.

---------------------------------
[30] Oops, sorry
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Actual address for earlier story you need is in fact

www.clubfinals.uefa.com

---------------------------------
[29] Leeds will have to play Qtr Final
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Uefa have confirmed Deportivo La Coruna will not be kicked out of this season's
Champions League even if four of their players are found guilty of passport
irregularities.'

Uefa director of communications Mike Lee said: "The weekend press report relating to
the position of Deportivo La Coruna is inaccurate.
The results achieved by the club in the Uefa Champions League are not in question.
Uefa is not considering removing them from the competition. The eligibility of players
for our club competitions is a matter for the national football associations who
decide whether someone is eligible to play. In addition, Uefa has no rules governing
the nationality of players following the Bosman judgment. Therefore we have no reason
to call into question the performance and continued participation of Deportivo."

Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale also slammed the report as "nonsense" before adding: "We
are preparing for the tie in normal way and we want to get through to the semi-finals
by beating Deportivo."

---------------------------------
[28] Phil Neville speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It has been another extremely enjoyable week with the England squad.  There is an
obvious freshness about the team brought about not only  by the appointment of a new
manager but also by the inclusion of  several younger players. Those young players
have worked together in  the Under-21s and have entered into the full squad with no
fear.
Their hunger to play for their country is tremendous and their
attitudes boosted the team prior to the match on Saturday.

However, five minutes before half-time on Saturday, I thought our
World Cup dream was over. Finland were on top and despite our
continued efforts we didn't look like scoring. Michael Owen's goal
just before the break came at a critical moment for us. It enabled us
to re-group at half-time and come out and play with confidence in the
second half. We then went on to dominate the second half and there
were no doubts that we thoroughly deserved the win.

I must say that the atmosphere in the matches we've played against
Spain and Finland have been the best I've experienced during my
international career. There appears to be a new belief amongst the
supporters that this team have the ability to succeed. I think such a
patriotic crowd will intimidate any team now coming to play England
on our home turf.

However, despite this new optimism, Saturday's win will count for
nothing if we drop points in Albania so we'll now spend the next few
days preparing for yet another huge match on Wednesday.

Under the new manager's regime, our wives and children were all
invited to spend Saturday night at our hotel. After a long week away,
all the team were looking forward to relaxing with their families for
a night before flying off to Albania on Monday."

---------------------------------
[27] More from Nev on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Andy had caused them a lot of problems and I wish that chance had gone in for him as
he deserved it. But he will keep on playing for England and he will get goals because
I've seen him do it before. There's no doubt he will score goals - just look at his
record, he has done it for his whole career. His all-round play is outstanding as
well, he gives defenders nightmares."

---------------------------------
[26] Gary Nev on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If you're made England captain, you have to take on more responsibility, but it's not
a problem to David. At 25, he's seen most things in football - World Cups, European
Championships, huge games for United. Sometimes you need that extra challenge and
motivation. Giving him the England captaincy will certainly have given him that.
 He can be captain for as long as he plays for England. A change was needed with Tony
Adams and Alan Shearer having retired. So why not start afresh? I think the whole
squad is a lot fresher, to be honest with you. In fact, it's the best bunch of England
players that I've seen since Euro 96 in terms of a camaraderie in that they've played
together since the Under-21s."

---------------------------------
[25] For those wishing to visit the Munich memorial
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
To pay respects to the players and those that died at Munich the details can be found
at

Have look at the following website
(link:http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.red11.org/mufc/munich.htm)
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.red11.org/mufc/munich.htm
(The webpage  on red11.org has subsequently changed, but google have a cached  version
from last year)

You will see at the bottom of the page the original details from 1998,
together with new instructions and updated map following the building on the  U-Bahn
extension.

---------------------------------
[24] More from Sven on Butt
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He is also a good passer of the ball. I was surprised about that. I remember seeing
him on television a couple of years ago and he has improved a lot in that department
and is a good all-round player."

But that is the one area of his game where he could do better.

---------------------------------
[23] More from Sven on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He had one good chance and did not score. But so what? He was unlucky. Andy Cole is
still an excellent football player"

---------------------------------
[22] Leeds trial latest
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'The prosecution in the trial of two Leeds United footballers accused of taking part
in an attack on an Asian student is set to begin its closing speech. Prosecuting
counsel Nicholas Campbell QC is due to start the Crown's closing speech to the jury at
Hull Crown Court.'

---------------------------------
[21] Owen om Cole!
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Every striker goes through a lean patch with club and country. I've scored quite a
few goals in the last few games but there are
dips in form when the deflections don't go in the top corner."

---------------------------------
[20] Gary Nev on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
 "People questioned him when he first came to Manchester United but
you would be a fool to question Andy Cole.  I wish that chance had gone in for him
because he deserved it.  If Andy is given a run, he will score goals for England. But
he has  a lot more to his game. He gives defenders nightmares with his  movement."

---------------------------------
[19] Sven on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I still think Andy Cole is a very good player. I am  not worried about him or that he
didn't score. I am sure (Robbie) Fowler or (Teddy) Sheringham would have had a  good
game, but I am happy the way Cole is playing.  Maybe it gets harder for him the longer
he goes without scoring a  goal but it will never get harder because of me. I will
always  encourage him.

Of course I understand when people say he has a jinx. But it's like  that for
attackers and goalkeepers if they make one mistake in 90  minutes. It is important to
be strong.I wish that chance had gone in for him because he deserved it... but  he
will score goals for England"

---------------------------------
[18] Big club my arse - part 9375987
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Chelsea chairman Ken Bates says the Premiership soccer club's absence
from European competition will lead to increased losses. He says although the club's
pre-tax loss at the half-year stage is
£2.2 million - an improvement on last year's loss of £3.95 million -
the situation will worsen.'

---------------------------------
[17] Becks on fans at Anfield
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The reaction from the Liverpool fans was unbelievable, and  hopefully there won't be
any problems in the future."

Well, until Saturday morning.

---------------------------------
[16] Why Becks asked Posh to stay away
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'The fear of abuse from the stands forced David Beckham to tell wife
Victoria and two-year-old son Brooklyn to stay away from Anfield for
Saturday's World Cup clash with Finland, it has been revealed.'

"I was a bit worried for Victoria and we decided that if it  was going to affect my
performance by me worrying about things, she  wouldn't be at Anfield."

Posh said: "David  played brilliantly and his goal was even better. I got a bit
emotional. I was so happy for him. I was excited because he was  captain again. I know
how much it means to him."

---------------------------------
[15] Can we see Utd do the same please?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Sunday Mirror

'SUNDERLAND have won widespread praise from fans'leaders and Premier League bosses by
slashing season ticket prices for next season.

>From August, Wearside season ticket holders will be paying on average 10 per cent
>less to watch Kevin Phillips and Co at the Stadium of Light, where average
>attendances are only slightly below the 48,000 capacity.'

---------------------------------
[14] I don't want to go back to city
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Burnley's loan star Gareth Taylor has said he would like to stay at Turf Moor. The
Manchester City player had his loan spell extended on transfer deadline day and Taylor
will now stay with Burnley until the game against Birmingham on April 21.'

"I am definitely planning on having a long-term future with Burnley. I have stated my
desire to stay and the manager knows that I am happy here. The early signs are good
and I will be keen to talk to the club in the summer."

Please don't let me go back there!

---------------------------------
[13] Latest bit of Sol Campbell gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Midas who won't give up that we'll be getting him...

'Spurs' captain Sol Campbell, out of contract at White Hart Lane in the  summer, is
reported to have met with Manchester United representatives during  the England
squad's stay at a Cheshire hotel.
No matter what Spurs' new owners, ENIC, do, Campbell will be leaving White  Hart Lane
under The Bosman Ruling in the close season and, so MiDAS sources  attest, will become
a Manchester United player on July 1.'

---------------------------------
[12] A typical Scouse pub?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to the Birdman for this

There a pub in Merseydive called "Ye Cracke" - honest - go see at this site

Quaint & Amusing Pub Names: England
(link:http://www.uk-pages.net/pubs/pubs_england_quaint_index.shtml)
http://www.uk-pages.net/pubs/pubs_england_quaint_index.shtml

---------------------------------
[11] Latest from Doc of Best
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Professor Roger Williams:

"We do know in the last week or so that he has had some lapses. I spoke to him in the
middle of last week and he was very clear - so it is not every day as some of the
newspapers have been saying. It is worrying and I am hoping that we will get him back
to London and grapple with him again. He is very worried about it and every time that
I have spoken to him he has been worried about it. He knows that he is risking his
life and that is why we have got to get him to stop. I hope she can get him back to
London - it is very difficult for me to do much otherwise".

---------------------------------
[10] Best feeling better
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'George Best's wife has pleaded with her husband to quit drinking.'

"He realises now he cannot go on like this," Alex said. "He knows people are
desperately worried and I just hope he is going to stop. He seemed fine. He feels a
lot better. He had an early night, but is still in bed."

---------------------------------
[9] Gareth Southgate speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Beckham stood out for me as our outstanding player. He got hold of
the game in exactly the way you want your creative midfielders to.
And that goal of his was a lovely strike. Gary Neville is the other
player I think deserves particular praise. Defensively he was rock
solid, and he also got forward to support our attacks really well.

I know some of the papers are having a bit of a pop at Andy Cole, but
his overall performance was very good. Because he missed that chance
and because of his record for England, people are always going to
jump on him.

Strikers will always be judged on the goals they score, but Andy's
style of play is suited to the top level. Had he taken that one
chance his performance would be viewed in a different light."

---------------------------------
[8] Keano has pop at FAI
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Roy Keane has hinted he will quit international football unless the
Football Association of Ireland improves the treatment of its players.'

"I'm not pointing the finger at anybody but, if there  was anything to make me say:
'I'm going to spend the week with my  wife and kids at home', that would be it. Where
we trained last Monday, in Clonshaugh, was abysmal and it has  been for as long as
I've known it. I was fairly critical of the  seating arrangements for the flight out
here when the officials were  at the front and the players behind.

For me that's simply not right and it's not because I'm playing for
Manchester United. The priority has to be the team - and I don't  always think that
has been the case here. I understand that the FAI  can't afford certain things but
there is a lot of room for  improvement."

---------------------------------
[7] England want to keep McClaren
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'The Football Association will begin talks with Manchester United at the end of this
week in an attempt to keep Steve McClaren on the England coaching staff. Sven-Goran
Eriksson is keen to extend McClaren's involvement in the back-up team, which also
includes Peter Taylor, Tord Grip, Ray Clemence and Dave Sexton. However, the existing
agreement with United for McClaren's services only included the first three games
under Eriksson against Spain, Finland and Albania. That period expires after Wednesday
night's World Cup qualifier in Tirana...

FA chief executive Adam Crozier is scheduled to visit Old Trafford later this week to
speak to United counterpart Peter Kenyon on the matter.'

---------------------------------
[6] Get on the European Cup Final ticket site!
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ticket application procedures for final in Milan
(Thanks to MC)

>From Uefa's website.
This season's UEFA Champions League final will be played at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza
in Milan on Wednesday 23 May and, even though names of the two finalists will not be
known until two weeks before the
big match, the general public will be able to order tickets for the game well in
advance.

Tickets available till 15 April
The period for applications will be from 26 March till 15 April 2001. The general
public will have two alternative methods of applying for tickets. Firstly, application
forms will be available via UEFA's
Internet web site, where a special page will be set
up. The address is: www.clubfinals.com.

Secondly, application forms will also be available via the purchaser's national
football association.

In both cases, orders are restricted to a quota of two tickets per applicant.

If, on the deadline, it is discovered that demand for tickets exceeds the number of
11,000 available for sale to the general public, applications will be put into a draw.

The two finalists will receive 24,000 tickets each. However, the url given elsewhere is
www.clubfinals.uefa.com

---------------------------------
[5] Just hope this isn't true
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
More from Betie's agent:

Phil Hughes:

"George is not a stupid man. He will stop drinking. He has to - and he knows it. I
don't think the press' best intentions to sell newspapers, turning up at his house and
bothering him is going to help the situation. If they could just give him his space
hopefully he will soon come around."

But it was you who revealed that he was drinking again to the press.

Let's all hope for Bestie but this speculation in from an Irish RN reader:

"Where George lives is near me and my mates live there say he was completly f***ed 3
days in a row last week and was carried out of the pub on these occasions I hope he
wises up"

Please get well Bestie.

---------------------------------
[4] We don't want to play you anytime
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'It has been confirmed that Liverpool and Manchester United will not play each other
whilst on tour in Singapore.  United are due to tour Asia at the end of the season at
the same time as the men from Anfield.

"We play them too often in England. It's more authentic perhaps that we play against
local oppositions," said Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry.

---------------------------------
[3] Now here's a surprise
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'England coach Sven Goran Eriksson's plans for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier in
Albania have been disrupted with yet another withdrawal from international duty by
Liverpool midfielder Steve Gerrard.'

But it may give Nikcy butt the chance against Albania on Wednesday, Sven saying:

"Nicky Butt did extremely well against Spain and I know all about his defensive
qualities. He's a ball player, a very tough player. I would imagine he is a little bit
unpleasant to play against as he is always there."

---------------------------------
[2] Those Sunday tabloid rumours in full
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Utd players are having to drive 'through disinfected hay as the club's training
complex has been hit by the foot and mouth epidemic'.

Utd are also building a £15,000 barrier at Carrington to stop them losing £400 of lost
balls going over the fence. 'Please mister can we have our ball back'.

Dwight Yorke plans to fly Jordan to meet his family in T&T and might come home with an
engagement ring.

---------------------------------
[1] Giggs joins up with Wales squad
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Ryan Giggs has joined up with Wales' World Cup squad to give Mark Hughes a boost
ahead of Wednesday's clash with Ukraine at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.The Manchester
United star arrived early today at the team hotel just outside the capital, as most of
his team-mates were still sleeping off the eight-hour overnight flight back from
Armenia, where they had drawn 2-2 in Yerevan. Giggs has been training all week with
United's reserves while his club mates were away on international duty, and he played
in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Friday.'

An FA of Wales spokesman said: "Ryan is with the squad, he's fit and raring to go. He
is available for selection."

Hughes said: "Since I took over as Wales manager I've received full co-operation from
United. I know how disappointed Ryan was not to be there in Armenia - he told me so
himself. He is as desperate as anyone for us to do well in this campaign. And I hope
that people will now stop believing there is some sinister plot by Sir Alex because it
is just not true."