---------------------------------
[28] Big Brother is watching us
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Monica Brady on the IMUSA list

I have received a phone call from Paddy Harverson this lunchtime
(Monday 9th April). He told me that the club are putting cameras up in areas where
persistent standing occurs to study the dynamics of what happens, ie where the
standing starts, how it spreads etc. He assured me that these  cameras will NOT be
used to identify individuals, and no sanctions will be  taken against anyone as a
result of the footage taken by these cameras. The  club hope to have the cameras
installed for the Charlton game and for the  rest of this season.

---------------------------------
[27] Latest transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Marc

According to the Indie we are leading the race for the 8 M £ rated Auxerre  french
striker Djibril Cissé, 19. He was watched by Martin Ferguson playing  for club and U20
France team and we are apparently preparing a bid. They also  claim that Guy Roux,
Auxerre general manager, was Fergie's guest for the  Munich game.

Cissé has been a regular in Auxerre first team for 3 only months but he has  already
scored a dozen of goals. He is an exceptionnal player, France's next  best thing in
attack.  For many he is the fastest french player, extremely skilful and very good in
front of goal. His reputation is better than Henry, Anelka or Kanoute's at  the same
age.
Guy Roux would be reluctant to let the player go so soon but a good offer may  tempt
him. And with Mexès also on Fergie shopping list, a double Auxerre arrival is possible.

---------------------------------
[26] And Nicky Weaver said
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I wasn't too hot at maths at school, but I know enough to be sure
that we are not down yet. We will probably have to win four of our last six games, but
 Bradford did something similar last season and when the gaffer was at  Oldham they
won three in a week to survive, so it is not impossible.Of course we feel miserable
because I don't think we deserved to  lose at Everton. It is probably the best we have
played for ages and  yet we have got nothing out of it. It is hard to take."

Maths, goalkeeping - wonder when he will find out what he's good at?

---------------------------------
[25] Joe Royle thinks he's a miracle worker
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I thought we were terrific in the first-half. We were enterprising,
open, passed it well, made and missed chances and then produced a
couple of elementary mistakes which cost us goals. Unfortunately in the second half we
never quite got to it, I will  admit that. But first half we were outstanding. In many
ways it was  the best we had played for a long time. It was forty-five minutes rich in
promise, yet we came in 2-1 down  and that just about sums the season up. We continue
to shoot ourselves in the foot, but while survival is  mathematically available to us
we will go for it."

---------------------------------
[24] Another quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When we turned up in those white suits, everyone thought we were the
band" -

Liverpool skipper Robbie Fowler relives Liverpool's fashion  faux-pas at the 1996 cup
final in the Sunday Mirror.

Free copies to Vas ov www.m-u-f-c.co.uk & Barney ov www.rednews.co.uk

INGREDIENTS -

RETRO TV FOR COFFIN DODGERS / YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD IF YA EAT.... /
YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD IF YA SAY..../ JACKPOT - TOO MUCH CHANGE ! / TABLE FOOTBALL /
LACKA KAPPA / BIT OF COSTA DEL SOLFORD HISTORY FOR YA
This Barm is dedicated to J.D. Wetherspoon - nuff said.
RETRO TV FOR COFFIN DODGERS
Theres loads of these retro programmes on tele at the mo that look back to the 80's
and even last night I watched one about 1991. Now its fine by me - you sit there
thinking "ermmm what was I up to in this particular year then". And in the case of
1991 I was single, always out in town in Richfields, off out to United away games -
things have changed a lot for me now - I am married, mortgage, two pan lids blah blah.
So these programmes work for people of my age. But image Gladys or Mabel who are say
85 or summat. Now 1991 means sod all to them - they aren't sat there are they saying
"aye 1991 - things were different then - oh them were the days". No they are not - sod
all has changed for them in 10 years and sod all will in the next. Frightening init!
Anyway while we are on the retro theme .....12 - "that seems ages
ago"....
        Marco, Merick, Terry Lee, Gary Tibs and yours truly,  Snake Belts, Slush
Puppies, Power cuts, Damon & Debbie, Punks & mods, 3 channels on tele, Happy Days &
The Fonze, Alan Bradley, 2 points for a win, Monkey Boots, Raleigh Bomber.
        YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD IF YA EAT....
        lemon curd (especially in rice pudding), tongue, prunes, braising
steak, rhubarb, liver, semolina, kidney, sugar butties or banana butties, spotted
dick, lard, drippin
        YOU KNOW YOU ARE OLD IF YA SAY....
        Mustn't grumble, Wireless, Are you courting ? Picture House, Rip
raps, Ham shank (without laughing)! Oh I love Cliff Richard, Kids today eh! ,Chip Oil,
Rum and Coke Please.
        JACKPOT - TOO MUCH CHANGE !
A few years back I was in a certain Salford pub and I get the ales in for me, the wife
and her mate. Now I hands over a fiver - but stone me I clock the woman behind the bar
handing me back various notes. Now casually as fcuk I sticks the cash in me bin and
goes and sits down. Now grinning like a deranged fool I check the contents of me sky
rocket which reveals 30 pound odd. I worked out that she must have given me change
from a twenty pound note AND then mistakenly given me a twenty instead of a fiver.
Right result or what. I ended up having a few more Stellas, chippy on the way home and
still had more wonga on me than when I left the house. Why cant nights out always be
like that?
TABLE FOOTBALL
Someone once said to me "everyone is good at something - its just finding out what you
are good at". Now I sat there thinking and eventually realised the one sole thing that
I am any good at. The answer came back "table football"... or is it bar football?
Anyway I got a table football for Christmas in 1975 and I recon all the practise I put
in then has paid off - I like to think I am pretty good at it. Sad aint it that this
is my only talent but there you go. Now apart from personal satisfaction of hammering
my mates at this game every now and then - oh and taking on all comers in the Peverill
a few years back - I haven't exactly made a career out of it. However you can keep it
for me cos Christmas 1994 I was glad I was good at table football - very glad in fact.
We, via a few beers in town, ended up in
the White Swan in Swinton on the old nuts and bolts. Now as it turns out theres a
table football in there so one of the lads (Tag) suggests a derby game of doubles. He
opts to be on my team and searches out a partner to double up with Gabs (whos a blue).
Now imagine the coincidence when only 5 balls drop out of the machine instead of the
usual 9 or 11. Now this was a coincidence - but when they (siddy) went two nil up even
I was spooked out when we stormed back and won 3-2 a la Maine Road. Surely we couldn't
follow it up with a 5 niller ! Yep ... we sure as hell did. 3-2 and 5-0 - class - you
just couldn't make it up.
LACKA KAPPA
This is a plea for help - a very very long shot plea for help but its worth a try. In
1984 we had a school trip to Colwyn Bay and my mate Boyno had his most treasured
possession - his Blue Kappa trackie bottoms stolen. Now it wasnt me(sounding like
shaggy!) and I think we all are sure that a lad called Squid nicked em - but it
remains a 17 year mystery. Now Boyno, or TB as he likes to be called has never got
over this and if anyone out there has a pair - light blue that you could let me have
I'd be very grateful.
BIT OF COSTA DEL SOLFORD HISTORY FOR YA
On the rolling banks of the James River (Richmond - Virginia - U, S of A) stands a
remarkable Tudor estate. And by Tudor, we're not simply referring to an architectural
style. This manor house was actually built in Lancashire, England in the late 15th
Century.
For hundreds of years, Agecroft Hall was the distinguished home of England's Langley
and Dauntesey families. At the end of the 19th century, however, Agecroft fell into
disrepair, and in 1925 it was sold at auction. Hearing of this tremendous opportunity,
Richmonder Thomas C. Williams, Jr. purchased the structure, and had it dismantled,
crated, and shipped across the Atlantic, and then painstakingly reassembled in a
Richmond neighborhood known as Windsor Farms. Today, Agecroft Hall stands beautifully
re-created, in a setting reminiscent of its original site on Lancashire's Irwell River.
Video of the week - Billy Elliot is out - so go get on this one - good film and some
good music in it too.
Tunes of the week are - Up The Junction by Squeeze and Can You Dig It by The Mock
Turtles

Websites of the week - www.claimsdirect.com - get emailing em now to see how Declan
Swan and Carl Scaiffe are getting on with their recover.

Anyway - thats me stuffed - where them Rennies gone ? (oh and always read the label)
Que the credits.
Like Paul Weller says in A Town Called Malice "I could go on for hours and I probably
will but" Defoe - laters.

---------------------------------
[22] Bayern draw
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
At the weekend, a 1-1 draw at Dortmund. They are still top but had Effenberg and
Lizarazu sent off . The key point is that Bayern have lost 8 times in the league this
season - they can be beaten.

---------------------------------
[21] Latest team news
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Jaap Stam and Nicky Butt are expected to shrug off minor injuries to be available for
Manchester United's home match against Charlton. Stam suffered a slight groin injury
against Bayern Munich last week, while Butt also picked up a knock. Sir Alex Ferguson
expects both to recover to provide him with a full strength squad for the visit of
Alan Curbishley's side to Old Trafford. Victory against Charlton will leave United
needing just six more points to guarantee their seventh Premier League title in nine
years.'

---------------------------------
[20] First false passport punishment
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
PA:

'Fifa have banned an Argentinian player from all matches until June 6 for playing with
a false passport. Fifa say they have extended a ban on Hector Diego Garay to worldwide
level. The move follows a request to Fifa by the French Football Federation.

The Federation had slapped a three-month suspension on Garay for using a fake Italian
passport while with Strasbourg last season in order to circumvent limits on the number
of players from non-European Union countries eligible to play for French professional
teams. Garay now plays in Argentina for Talleres Cordoba. Four other players in France
also received suspensions for using false papers. Uefa says it wants to clamp down on
clubs fielding players with false passports.'

[19] PSV want us to sort out Ruud deal
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee: