---------------------------------
[22] Tickets still on sale for last home game
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Manchester United v Derby County
Old Trafford, Saturday 5 May, kick off 3pm.

United are at home to Derby County on Saturday 5th May, kick of 3 p.m.
Approximately 4,000 tickets remain and these are currently on sale by post only to
Members. The application should include a completed match ticket order form, relevant
payment and sae.

Please note, we anticipate being heavily oversubscribed and a postal ballot will be
held to determine the successful applicants.'

---------------------------------
[21] Fergie on tonight & Bayern
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I will play a team to win against Charlton but I have to think about Bayern. We have
to think about an alternative on the right hand side of the pitch with a view to next
week. We want to get the right person accustomed to that position".

---------------------------------
[20] Andy Gray on Football 365
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"IF YOU ask me, Manchester United are praying the likes of Arsenal,
Leeds, Liverpool and Chelsea will offer some sort of prolonged
resistance in the Premiership next season. Why? Because the only way
they are going to become the best in Europe again is if they face
competition to become the best in England.

Cruising to their sixth Premiership title in eight years has done
nothing but harm their European campaign. You cannot expect players
to take part in almost meaningless domestic matches on Saturday
afternoon - as United have been for the last six or seven weeks now -
and then lift themselves to play massive European matches on the
Tuesday or Wednesday night. Far better would be what we saw two years
ago in United's Treble-winning season, a team competing on three
fronts and thriving on it.

Managers constantly complain that they are playing too many games,
but what can be better for players than to get into the rhythm of
playing hard, competitive games and learning to trust each other
completely? The problem with United this season is that things have
been too easy. Sir Alex Ferguson has had the luxury of resting his
star players - not a good thing if you then expect them to come
together and play fantastically well as a unit against top European
opposition.

I still believe that the players at Old Trafford are at least as good
as those at Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. But those teams have been
fighting for their respective domestic titles over the past month and
have not been allowed to lose their concentration. If United are in a
similar position at theis stage of next season, there is no reason
why their players cannot perform to their obvious potential in
Europe.

A lot of blame for United's European problems has been laid at the
door of David Beckham, which is completely unfair. We should not be
over-critical of David. He is 25 years of age and has never had a
slump in form before - he's entitled to one now. People will always
read too much into these things and suggest that his best days are
behind him or that he's been found out, but he could well come back
better than ever for next season.

Saying that, I do think United should buy a real top quality, world
class midfielder in the summer. They have enough fringe players in
that area but could really benefit from adding someone like Lazio's
Juan Veron to the equation. Sir Alex has got a fantastic midfield in
Beckham, Paul Scholes, Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs, but it would be good
to be able to offer something different to that tried and tested
quartet.

The other priority has got to be a new striker. I will be very
surprised if the deal for PSV Eindhoven's Ruud van Nistelrooy is not
resurrected now he's back from knee surgery. Everywhere else on the
pitch - with the possible exception of a back-up to Fabien Barthez in
goal - they are well catered for. Getting those two quality players
in could be exactly what is needed to take United to a level where
Sir Alex signing off in May 2002 with a European Cup Final victory in
his home city of Glasgow is more than a possibility.

Those who worry that this United side cannot be the best in Europe
again are being hypercritical because of one less-than-convincing
season which, by the way, is not yet over. I reckon they have a
chance of winning in Munich next Wednesday night.

And those suggesting that next season will be the last for several of
this current squad because Sir Alex is retiring have clearly not
thought it through. After Manchester United and their massive crowds,
big money and top-quality players, where would the players be better
off going?"

---------------------------------
[19] Eric will be at the game tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
GMR announced this morning that Eric Cantona will be at Old Trafford for the Charlton
game tonight, to collect his fans' award as the greatest ever United player.  So get
there early - just in case they present it before the game!

---------------------------------
[18] Leeds players to GET re-trial
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
New trial for the Leeds players to take place on October 8th.

---------------------------------
[17] More from PSV Chief
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We are not trying to cash in on Ruud. Ideally, we would love to keep him but, of
course, I can understand the appeal of United. I am determined not to repeat my
mistake over Jaap Stam, though, and I am adamant that United must meet our valuation.
Telling them in advance that they could have Jaap for just over £10million was the
biggest mistake of my life and I still regret it. There was no room for negotiation
after that but it is different with van Nistelrooy. We had talks with United about a
price for him and arrived at a figure of £18.5million. It was valid then and still is
now. Ruud knows that and is happy with the situation. We have made a deal with him
that he can go for that amount and he has readily given his consent. There will be no
question of him asking to go for less. He has given his word on that."

---------------------------------
[16] PSV say we must stump up £18m for Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Harry van Raay, PSV Chief told the Daily Mail: "First of all, I want to make it clear
that I will not speak to any club about Ruud until the league title has been resolved.
I did not have any contact from Alex Ferguson yesterday and I have not heard from him
today. Neither do I want to while we are still concentrating on winning the
championship.

After that it is possible, but only if United, or anyone else for that matter, are
prepared to pay £18.5million. That is the price we want and we will not take a penny
less."

---------------------------------
[15] More sour grapes from Houllier
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's not the best date to play Ipswich, and they knew that, and that's probably why
they put pressure on the Premier League to play the game on that day. But we will
cope, I'm very much looking forward to the game. It's very important for our ambitions
for a Champions League spot, and I can tell you we will be up for it. I'm very focused
on my team, I don't like to speak about the opposition, particularly about that
opposition. We'd had three games between the two Uefa semi-finals already, so I don't
know how the powers that be could put this game on."

And once again we remind you that Liverpool did not back us when we asked for similar
fixture compensation a few years back.

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie on the 3-3
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If you think about the game we had down there round about Christmas time, it was
absolutely fantastic. It was 3-3 and it could have been any score to be honest with
you. It won't be an easy game and Charlton have had a fantastic season. They've got a
good manager, a good managerial structure and a good team spirit."

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie on Charlton
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I didn't think they would go down and I thought the way they have structured their
management team over the last few years has ensured good continuity there. They went
down with the same bunch of players who brought them back up and they're doing very
well. So there's a lot to be said for continuity. If you can get it, and it's very
difficult in modern-day football, but if you can do it, then it's a definite route to
success."

---------------------------------
[12] Football League keeps sponsor
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Nationwide continue their pledge with the Football League with a new 3 year deal.

---------------------------------
[11] More transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'AC Milan are planning a spectacular £70m double swwop for David Beckham and Michael
Owen".

Funny that - seems like the exact same story the press went with a few years back.
Nothing changes.

---------------------------------
[10] Becks not playing tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fergie: "David will not figure against Charlton because we have to think about an
alternative on the right side of the pitch ahead of the Bayern game. Luke Chadwick
does not have the experience but he certainly has the ability and it is possible that
we will look towards him".

---------------------------------
[9] Leeds duo won't get to play for England if there is a re-trial
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Press release:

'Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate will not be considered for the England team despite
the collapse of their trial at Hull Crown Court. The Crown Prosecution Service says it
will try to get a re-trial of the Leeds footballers who are charged with assaulting a
student.

But a spokesman for the Football Association told Ananova Bowyer and Woodgate will
continue to be left out of England teams.

"The situation remains unchanged. We have never pre-judged the case. They are not
eligible for selection until the conclusion of the legal process."

At a hearing tomorrow morning before the trial judge the Crown will ask for a trial to
be scheduled later this year.

The players' legal team is expected to object to another trial.

A CPS spokesman told Ananova: "We are going to go for a re-trail. The judge will have
to take account of precedent. In the case of Michael Stone and Megan Russell we went
to the Court of Appeal and appealed for a retrial and despite all the publicity with
that, the three Justices decided there was enough of a gap in people's consciousness
that previous reporting of the trial would not be prejudicial."

---------------------------------
[8] Kebab gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
We hear that Gazza was seen in one of the ropiest  pubs in bin-dipper land (are there
any other sort?),'refuelling' in  time honoured fashion on Saturday night. Apparently
it's a frequent event, with him hiring a cab for the  evening and using the cabbie for
comapany!

---------------------------------
[7] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"But there has to be, starting from tomorrow, a real determination from the lads to
make sure they don't let it drag on. We've got an opportunity with three home matches
to seal it and the players should go out and do it. Quite possibly this season has not
been as exciting for the fans as other years, but when it comes to the moment when we
can win the league I think the fans will realise what we have achieved and so will the
players."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie wants the title soon
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think we know the situation well that we now have three home games and that three
home wins will give us the title. That would be a fantastic achievement for the club.
I set out at the beginning of each season thinking I hope we go into the last game
knowing we have to win it. That's what I always think. Last year we won by 18 points,
which was unusual, and this season we are 13 points clear. We can't take anything for
granted because we know what football can do to you."

---------------------------------
[5] Teddy deal nearly signed and sealed
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fergie said on the one year deal: "The truth of the matter is that the club have met
his representative and I think that they've had a good dialogue. I don't see any great
problem, I don't think."

>From PA:

'As well as Sheringham, United hope to agree new terms with Denis Irwin and Raimond
van der Gouw, who are also out of contract in the summer. The champions elect also
want David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Gary and Phil Neville to
commit their long-term futures to Old Trafford.'

Still no mention of Dwight Yorke though...

---------------------------------
[4] Sad jokes of the day...
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
A penguin was driving in the desert when his car started to falter.
Luckily, he was quite close to a garage. He managed to start his car again and drove
it to the garage.

The bloke said he would be some time. The penguin then spotted an ice-cream van in the
distance. He walked over and bought a 99. He started to eat his ice-cream.
Unfortunately, he found it very difficult to manage with his flippers and made a huge
mess, with ice-cream all round his mouth.

When he finished, he made his way back to the garage. As he walked in,
the bloke said "You've blown a seal."

"IT'S FUCKING ICE-CREAM," replied the penguin.

Essex girl is involved in a car scrap and is trapped. The paramedics soon arrive on
site.

Medic "It's o.k. I'm a paramedic and I'm going to ask you some questions"

Girl " o.k."

Medic "What's your name"

Girl "Sharon"

Medic "O.K. Sharon, is this your car?"

Girl "Yes"

Medic "Where are you bleeding from?"

Girl "Romford mate"

Thanks to RN readers, Pat and Paddy.

---------------------------------
[3] Blanc won't kiss the head of Barthez at United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Despite speculation about yet another recent bid by Utd (what is that, 4 or 5?) as we
told you long ago, Blanc won't join United next season having just  signed a new two
years contract with Inter Milan.

---------------------------------
[2] Injured duo make return
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From PA

'Ronny Johnsen began his latest comeback from injury when he played for Manchester
United reserves in their 2-1 defeat at Newcastle. Johnsen, whose last senior game for
United was back in October, has been dogged by persistent knee problems and underwent
surgery in January. The Norwegian international has only managed a handful of games
since the 1999 Champions League Final because of injury and he now hopes to feature in
United's title run-in.

Raimond van der Gouw also made his return in the match following his knee operation a
month ago.'

You'll be able to read a full match report from the game on the Features - Match
Reports - part of this site soon.

---------------------------------
[1] Remember get your latest Red News tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2001 by bar-knee:
Red News, issue no.76 on sale before the Charlton game tonight. Just £1.50 - with
Barry Brotherton interview from Trafford Borough Council, a guide to just who could
replace Fergie and why six Utd fans thought Neil Webb scored a hat-trick against
Arsenal in the League Cup...when it was in fact Lee Sharpe.
Help the web site, help the weather, help the lonely fanzine sellers, buy Red News
tonight.

---------------------------------
[34] Judge tells the jury...
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The judge told the jury: "The circumstances do not warrant a stay but I am in no doubt
with the passage of time proceedings could be resumed."

He said he was "deeply concerned" by the publication of a two-page spread in which the
alleged victim's father Muhammad Najeib suggested the attack had been racially
motivated.

"Whatever the intentions behind that publication the effect for now is that all of
that effort has been derailed."

This dismissed trial has cost £8m.

---------------------------------
[33] Fergie on Ruud Dutch trip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He's only had four games and there's nothing to report. I went to see the game and it
was the kind of game where it was difficult to assess anyone. It was a low-key game
and PSV won comfortably and there's nothing really to say."

---------------------------------
[32] Why the trial was halted - bloody hacks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The reason the trail was halted was due to an article in yesterday's Sunday Mirror
which profiled the victim's father and detailed the issue of race. The judge had
previously said that race wasn't an issue - when the judge asked the jury as to
whether they had seen it, they replied yes and the trial collapsed as he dismissed the
jury. There will be an application for a re-trial at 9.45 tomorrow morning and the
Sunday Mirror will now have their behaviour looked into by the Attorney General as
they may face a contempt of court charge.

All in all the whole thing has taken on the air of high farce.

---------------------------------
[31] Press Association on trial collapse
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The trial of Leeds United footballers Lee Bowyer and Jonathan Woodgate was halted and
the jury discharged by the judge at Hull Crown Court.

The seven men and four women had deliberated for just over 21 hours over three days
when the judge Mr Justice Poole discharged them.

The jury in the £8 million trial was considering charges of causing grievous bodily
harm with intent and affray against Leeds players Jonathan Woodgate, and Lee Bowyer,
and Woodgate's friends Paul Clifford and Neale Caveney.

They had all pleaded not guilty during the 10-week trial at Hull Crown Court.

The four were accused of beating and kicking 20-year-old student Sarfraz Najeib, of
Rotherham, following a confrontation and chase in Leeds city centre in January last
year.

The jury returned not guilty verdicts last week on a charge of conspiracy to pervert
justice against another Leeds player, Michael Duberry, and on Woodgate, Clifford and
Caveney.

---------------------------------
[30] Leeds trial latest
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Early suggestions point that there will be a re-trial but because of the legal system
the press won't be allowed to report on why the jury was discharged and why the trial
collapsed so late in proceedings. The 11 jury members (one was suspended earlier in
the trial) have been told the trial has been dismissed and it will be up to the Crown
Prosecution Service whether there will be a re-trial.

[29] High farce - Leeds jury dismissed as trial collapses
Posted Monday, April 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Judge has dimissed the jury in the Leeds case as the trial has effectively
'collapsed'.

This news has been announced at 3pm - reasons unknown as yet, all sorts of rumours
flying around.

Why?, what has happened? and whether there will be a re-trial all unknown as yet.