---------------------------------
[14] West Ham bid for Yorke
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
West Ham, after trying with a bid in the summer, have made a formal offer of £7m for
Dwight Yorke.

The SUN reports that even though he has still to be offered a new deal on new wages
'Yorke is desperate to stay at Old Trafford...Fergie may not want to lose him'.

It looks likely the bid will be turned down, unless West Ham were to start talking
about the one player who Fergie has been raving about for years - Joe Cole in the deal
as well.

---------------------------------
[13] Argentina win without Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Beat Brazil 2-1, who are now fourth and doubtful to qualify.

---------------------------------
[12] Becks on being wound up last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Some players try to wind you up and they were doing that. A few years ago I might
have reacted but I'm a grown man now"

---------------------------------
[11] Ruud on target
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
As Dutch beat Estonia 5-0, but as Portugal won 3-1 in Cyprus, the Dutch are out of the
World Cup.

---------------------------------
[10] Never rains but it pours
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Scotland football fans have been stranded in Belgium by a pilots' strike.

The 24-hour strike involves members of the Belgian Cockpit Association and affects
Sabena services from Brussels Airport.

The bad news for the Scots comes on top of their defeat against Belgium which
virtually ends their hopes of qualifying for next year's World Cup finals.

About 10,000 Scottish fans are thought to have made the trip to watch last night's
qualifier.

Edinburgh and Manchester are the two routes worst-affected by the action with services
are subject to cancellation and delays.

A spokesman for Sabena told Ananova passengers with tickets which allow re-routing to
other airports are being booked on alternative services.

Some passengers may be stranded until tomorrow. Latest information on flight
departures is available on the Brussels Airport website.

The spokesman said: "The problems kicked in from midnight, but it is not an official
strike. We don't yet know how many pilots and flight deck crew will turn up for work
this morning - it's very much a fluid situation.

"Those passengers whose tickets permit re-routing are being transferred to other
airlines. Those who can't re-route will either be refunded or allowed to use the
ticket at a later date.

"Some may be there until tomorrow. It depends how many flights we manage to get away.
The latest is that flights to Leeds/Bradford and Birmingham are also operating with
delays, but Edinburgh and Manchester are worst affected."

---------------------------------
[9] Chadwick happy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Maybe in one or two seasons I'll have a look at where my career is going, but right
now I'm very happy."

---------------------------------
[8] More from Ole
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was a bookable offence which means he had to go. He was going for the ball and
usually his speed gets him there but on  this occasion it didn't. This will really
hurt him and you could see he was very frustrated."

---------------------------------
[7] Ole defends Giggs, sort of
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It will certainly be a very frustrating flight home for Ryan. I felt the second
incident was a yellow card but I do feel sympathy for him."

---------------------------------
[6] Sparky on Giggs red
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I haven't really seen the two incidents yet on TV, but maybe if he had been any other
player he would have stayed on. Whether the fact that it was Ryan was a factor you'll
have to ask the referee. The second one certainly was not a bad foul. The lad
immediately jumped up and walked away."

---------------------------------
[5] Giggs not happy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sent off for two bookable offences, he threw his armband on the floor.

"Yes, it was my first, and yes at any level. But I don't want to talk about it."

---------------------------------
[4] YOUR help needed
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
For an article we're preparing Red News is looking for anyone who was at the game on
19 April 1957 between Burnley and United at Turf Moor. United won 3-1, if you, your
Dad, grandad, or anyone you know was at that game and can write a short piece for Red
News with any memories (on and off the pitch) it would really, really help us with the
piece.

Send anything to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We're preparing an article on Utd fads - be they songs, fashions, etc - that were hot
for a time amongst Utd fans, at Old Trafford but now looking back look pretty
embarrassing. If you have any thoughts, random memories of woeful songs we used to
sing, bad fashions or anything else, send us just a list, a paragraph or any thoughts

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

they can be recent or old, anything goes!

---------------------------------
[3] Get the current Red News - on sale Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Remember you can get the latest copy of Red News - no.79 - at Old Trafford before the
Everton game on Saturday. Just £1.50.

We will also have copies of the Red News Fergie Special for sale. Just £2

---------------------------------
[2] Becks on England
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We made it a bit hard for ourselves. We didn't play the football we can but it was a
performance - a win - but not the prettiest of performances. We have the win and three
points. We didn't underestimate them. We said from the word go that they would come at
us and not sit off. It was up to us to combat that. We said after Germany that we
needed two more good wins and we would be there World Cup."

---------------------------------
[1] Results
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
England 2 Albania 0 (goals by two S*****s). Becks was outstanding and man of the
match. Tireless.

Norway 3 Wales 2. A goal by Ronnie Johnsen and Giggs sent off for the first ever time

Belgium 2 Scotland 0. Scotland as good as out.

---------------------------------
[29] Pompey want the man with strange name
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Porstmouth after Scouse keeper Pegguy Arphexad - I didn't even know he existed!

Arphexad: "It is going to be very hard for me now. I was disappointed with the news
but I've got to stay positive and keep working."

---------------------------------
[28] This is sick
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Denmark's version of Big Brother has a porn rival. The blue movie takes the format of
the successful game show but adds constant sex. Its six participants must each have
sex at least twice a day.'

(can I get an application form)

'The winner is crowned with the title 'Big Dick.'

(cancel the form)

'They were filmed having 100 hours of sex in a house in Sluseholmen. A video has been
released. The four hour long "Big Dick" video is on sale in Denmark for 180 kroner,
about £15, reports Berlingske Tidende newspaper. It is produced by famous Danish porn
producer, Barny Nygaard. The Big Dick set is simpler than on conventional Big Brother
shows, with just two double beds and a mattress. Paul Gazan, TV Denmark's Programme
Director said, "Copying famous films and programmes in the porn industry is not new.
We are not going to worry about it and they won't sell more than 6000 tapes anyway."

---------------------------------
[27] Yet another Red News request!
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
For an idea we need an image each of the heads for Stam and Blanc, both fairly large
ones that are clear and have a head the same size. If you have the jpegs or know where
we can find them, please send to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks

---------------------------------
[26] Another song
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Livin' Next Door to City
        ( Smokie and TheBirdman )

        Bertie called, when he got the word,
        He said "I suppose you've heard about City."
        So, I rushed to the tele, and I looked on teletext,
        And I could quiet easily believe my eyes,
        A big club like Siddy going down againnnnnnnnn.

        I'm glad there are a leaving, so cherrio just go,
        I guess they were unlucky again, but I just don't wanna know,
        'Cause for twenty five years I've been p!ssing my sides at City
        Twenty five years, just waitin' for a chance,
        To win another trophy, give some silverware a glance,
        But its just p!ss funny living next door to City
        City ? Who the f-ck are City?

        We grew up together, two kids in the park,
        Carved our initials deep in the bark......
        Me and Siddy.
        Now I walk to the door with my head held high,
        And just for a moment, I hear Blue Berty cry,
        As the wheels fall of the Massive Laser Blue wagon.

        I'm glad there are a leaving, so cherrio just go,
        I guess they were unlucky again, but I just don't wanna know,
        'Cause for twenty five years I've been pssing my sides at City
        Twenty five years, just waitin' for a chance,
        To win another trophy, give some silverware a glance,
        But its just p!ss funny living next door to City
City ? Who the f-ck are City?

Then Berty called back, and asked how I felt,
He said "I need to help get over City."
He said "Dreams have gone, but I'm still here.
And you know I've been waiting twenty five years.........."
And the big fat c-nt then disappeared.......

I'm glad there are a leaving, so cherrio just go,
I guess they were unlucky again, but I just don't wanna know,
'Cause for twenty five years I've been p!ssing my sides at City
Twenty five years, just waitin' for a chance,
To win another trophy, give some silverware a glance,
But it just p!ss funny living next door to City
City ? Who the f-ck are City?

No, I'll never get used to not living next door to City...
who the .....

---------------------------------
[25] The Germans seemed to get Keegan disease before last Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
FRANZ BECKENBAUER
"I am very sure that we are going to win this game. We are as good as, if not better
than, Sven Goran Eriksson's side. I am sure that we are better prepared for this match
than England. We will beat England."
CARSTEN JANCKER
"We don't have to worry about single players such as Michael Owen or Emile Heskey. We
have a stronger team and that is what counts."
SEPP MAIER
"David Seaman is past his best. Even I would have saved that shot and I don't play
football any more. I don't think Seaman has the same standing in the game as our
keeper Oliver Kahn, who is better."
STEFFEN EFFENBERG
"Steven who? I don't know him. I am not interested in England, or who is in their
squad. I don't have time. I have better things to do."
PIERRE LITTBARSKI
"In Germany we are not as stuck in the past as the English. We have always kept our
nerve and gone on to beat them when it mattered most. "They [England] put too much
pressure on themselves and they have too much respect. I believe that Germany will win
in the end, let's say 2-0."
SEBASTIAN DEISLER
"I am glad that David Beckham will be fit. Now England will have no
excuses when we beat them."
ULI HOENESS
"How are England going to win in Germany? It hasn't happened for 100
years. I have no doubts whatsoever that Germany will quite clearly thrash England.
They will easily qualify for the World Cup with this match."
ULI STIELICKE
"Judging from his potential Deisler is a better player than Beckham. He is perfect
technically, his crosses are precise, he is dangerous in front of goal, has excellent
vision and he is quicker than Beckham."

---------------------------------
[24] Veron on being banned
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Players such as Juan Roman Riquelme, Pablo Aimar and Marcelo  Gallardo can come into
the team and carry out my role even better  than I do. I don't think this is very
common," the 26 year old admitted and  the truth is that I have to thank the coach for
letting me come. I suppose this is only possible because England are also playing on
Wednesday, so there won't be many players around for training."

(bar a late Dwight)

"It's important for every player to be near the team, even if you
don't have the chance to play. And anyway, this is a  huge match because everybody
wants to beat Brazil, so I want to see  it, and that wouldn't be possible in Europe.
We want to keep  doing things correctly, and that means keeping on winning every game
we play. We have already qualified, but we want to do things even better."

---------------------------------
[23] Hypocrisy
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Remember in 1999 when United brought out a European kit? How we were berated by
everyone, "greedy" "rip-off merchants" were just some of the names aimed at us. I
wonder how the following will be greeted. (also, note the 4 stars. They must be bigger
than City!!!)

( http://www.kitbag.com/stores/f365/football/product_details.asp?pid=4498 )
http://www.kitbag.com/stores/f365/football/product_details.asp?pid=4498

---------------------------------
[22] More Stam observations
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Our contributor is going through the Stam book. Some thoughts:

'It is commonplace to read any United-related football book and squirm as you
encounter error after error. It seems that the authors and publishers are so keen to
get their products onto the shelves (and get the cash from our pockets) that small
matters like checking the facts tend not to appear too high on the list of priorities.
Asking any half-clued-up United fan to proof-read these careless efforts would do the
trick if only the publishers cared enough. Which brings us nicely on to the Jaap Stam
book, the ghost writer of which was presumably rather pleased with the following piece
of purple prose to be found on page one (of all places), and referring to Stam's first
sight of Old Trafford and the Munich memorial clock:

" ... I couldn't take my eyes from a clock attached to the side of Old
Trafford's outer wall, with the word 'Munich' etched underneath its white face. With
hands frozen at the time of the tragic plane crash in February 1958, which stole the
careers of so many of Matt Busby's famous Babes, the clock and its part in the United
dynasty struck a chord with me."

It's time we objected to ill-informed garbage like this. Let's now set the record
straight once and for all. The Munich clock at Old Trafford is a clock. It tells the
time. Its hands go round. Anyone who has visited Old Trafford will know this. The
drippy-prosed suggestion that the hands are 'frozen in time' was probably first
written by some clever 'writer' at some far away desk. And if you've got to put such
rubbish in your book may we suggest that page one is not the best place for it.'