---------------------------------
[8] Tonight's game called off, UEFA statement
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
UEFA chief executive Gerhard Aigner said:

"The scale of this tragedy and the pain and sorrow which it brings should cause us all
to reflect. UEFA feels it is right that the European football family should respect
the loss and suffering now being felt by those families who have lost their loved ones
by postponing all UEFA games scheduled to be played this week.On behalf of UEFA I
would like to send our condolences and deepest sympathies to all those who are in pain
as a result of these terrible events. We will convey this in a formal message to the
US Embassy in Geneva. We will continue to monitor the overall security situation
within Europe over the next few days and will make further statement in due course
concerning the rescheduling of these games."

---------------------------------
[7] We're getting reports that the game is off tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
We're hearing reports that UEFA have cancelled tonight's game.

---------------------------------
[6] Mark Kennedy gives his side of the story
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"At no time on Saturday night were words exchanged between myself and David Beckham,
whilst we were present with our separate group of friends in a wine bar. David and
Victoria are neighbours and there has never been any antagonism between either myself
or my partner and the Beckhams. As a fellow professional footballer I admire David for
his ability, professionalism and the way he and Victoria live their lives under such
intense public scrutiny."

---------------------------------
[5] Keano on European chances
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There was great disappointment when we went out last year and the year before there
was also disappointment, but we have no divine right to win it. It's okay saying we
should have won it because we had the players, but you've got to go out and do it on
the pitch. I think we had the players last year and the year before to win it, but of
course the players we have added will help us a bit. I think as much as you like to
play attacking football, sometimes you have got to be realistic and realise you're not
going to score on every attack because these teams are good and they're no mugs. Last
year we struggled throughout the campaign and even at home we didn't have any imposing
performances."

---------------------------------
[4] United man in New York
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
This in from a RN reader, Kay

'Can't believe what's happened over there, just been sitting in disbelief. My
housemate came home and said that he'd heard on our local radio (Century 106 - East
Mids) that there was someone from United in New York who saw it all and was being
interviewed on Century - but he doesn't know who it was.  Threw a few names at him and
Martin Edwards rang a bell with him, but he's not a football fan so doesn't really
know, just that it was someone from Man United.  Any ideas your end?'

---------------------------------
[3] Boavista knock Liverpool
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Boavista coach Jaime Pacheco:

"I came to Liverpool to play football, not rugby. Our players are less physical, less
endowed and they were savaged. The referee seemed to be on the side of Liverpool. We
even felt that one of their players should have been sent off, (Stephane) Henchoz at
the end when he pulled our player down."

---------------------------------
[2] Results
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Liverpool 1 Boavista 1
Mallorca 1 Arsenal 0

---------------------------------
[1] UEFA to monitor security
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A minute's silence was held before all Chamions League games, in memory of the
victims of terrorist attacks in the United States.

Eight more Champions League matches are scheduled for Wednesday, with some 40 Uefa Cup
matches being held on Thursday.

Uefa chief executive Gerhard Aigner said: "We will continue to closely monitor
security developments within Europe and will make a further statement tomorrow morning
in relation to the games scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday.''

German television aired Borussia Dortmund and Schalke's Champions Cup matches live
without commentary because of the tragedy.'

---------------------------------
[27] Terrorist attacks on America
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2001 by bar-knee:
At least three planes have been hijacked in America, two have flown into the World
Trade Centre buildings which have subsequently collapsed. At least one has flown into
the Pentagon. The death toll is expected to be in its thousands.

I can't believe what I am seeing.

[26] MEN on Kennedy arrest
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2001 by bar-knee:
'A Cheshire police spokeswoman confirmed: ''Police followed a car to a road in
Alderley Edge and arrested the 25-year-old driver. He was taken to a police station
and charged with dangerous driving and failing to provide a specimen.''

A police source confirmed that officers had asked Beckham, flying out to Greece today
for United's Champions League match, for footage from his security surveillance.'