RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[44] Early team news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Veron has slight knee strain - late fitness test. O'Shea is fit again.

Team from

Barthez; G Neville, Blanc, O'Shea, Silvestre, Beckham, Veron, Keane, Butt, Scholes,
Solskjaer, van Nistelrooy, P Neville, Chadwick, Irwin, Yorke, Carroll

Villa squad

Schmeichel, Delaney, Mellberg, Staunton, Wright, Merson, Boateng, Hendrie, Kachloul,
Angel, Vassell, Dublin, Hadji, Samuel, Barry, Stone, Ginola, Enckelman.

---------------------------------
[43] Butt on Becks and his own chance
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We've got a great squad here and we're all good friends. We all know we have to be
flexible when it comes to selection and I'm sure Becks will be back soon. The manager
has come to me a few times in the past and told me I'm not playing, so it's nice for
me to get a run in the side. I don't think it matters which four we play in midfield
because we have enough quality in all the positions. I'm just glad to be part of the
team at the moment and hopefully I can stay in the side."

---------------------------------
[42] Bobby Robson on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The formula is talent plus personality, and that's what he has," he said. "He's a
good character, an absolute gem of a boy and got marvellous footballing qualities.
He's a real player and he's a good footballing centre-forward. He can play with his
back to the goal, he can play facing the goal, he joins in and keeps the movement
going. He's got good athletic qualities and he's recovered from his cruciate ligaments
injury and is as strong as he ever was."

---------------------------------
[41] And Forlan bid likely too
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Independiente's Diego Forlan could also be on his way - the Mirror reporting that they
want £7.8m for him.

---------------------------------
[40] Roeder latest
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"If there is any interest in Paolo, let's hear about it. I've heard nothing from
anybody about Paolo leaving the club. My directors tell me the same thing."

---------------------------------
[39] Villa - if replay ticket details
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Aston Villa (Away)
FA Cup Third Round
Sunday 6 January, 19:00 GMT

All tickets have now been sold and supporters without tickets are urged not to travel,
as they will not gain access to the stadium.

Possible Replay

In the event of Sunday's game resulting in a draw the replay would take place on
Wednesday 16 January, kick off 8pm. Selling arrangements are as follows:

SALES TO ST/LMTB HOLDERS:

Sales would commence to ST/LMTB Holders who can purchase their usual seats on Monday
and Tuesday 7 and 8 January, 09:00 to 18:00 on production of voucher 47 (duly
completed) and their membership card. Alternatively, ST/LMTB Holders unable to make a
personal application can purchase their own seat by telephoning the MUFC Ticket Line
on (0161) 868 8010 at the same times giving their customer number and debit/credit
card details (please note a 3% administration fee per transaction is charged).

ADDITIONALLY, ALL ST/LMTB HOLDERS WHO HAVE REGISTERED FOR THE AUTOMATIC CUP
SCHEME SHOULD NOTE THAT TICKETS WILL BE PROCESSED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE
MATCH HAS TAKEN PLACE.

ST/LMTB Holders who cannot make a personal application and those who wish to purchase
other than their usual seat should apply by post IMMEDIATELY enclosing a letter of
application, relevant voucher (duly completed), first class sae and an open cheque
(made payable to MUFC).

Please ensure the incoming envelope is clearly marked 'FA CUP'.

Postal applications will only be accepted whilst time permits. Fans can also make an
online application. In case of no replay being needed, these applications will be
destroyed.

SALES TO MEMBERS:

Sales would then continue to Members who can purchase a seat on a best available basis
from the Ticket Office on Wednesday and Thursday 9 and 10 January, 09:00 to 18:00 on
production of their membership card.

Members unable to apply in person can make an IMMEDIATE postal application enclosing a
match ticket order form, relevant payment and first class sae.

SALES TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC:

Sales would then commence to the general public who can purchase a seat on a best
available basis from the Ticket Office on Friday 11 January, 09:00 to 18:00 (subject
to availability), or alternatively by telephoning the MUFC Ticket Line on (0161) 868
8010, however, this service would be available from 09:00 to 20:00. (please note a 3%
administration fee per
 ransaction is charged).

A further announcement regarding selling arrangements would be made after 7:00 on
Friday 11 January.

---------------------------------
[38] Big Lily goes to Hollywood
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A Manchester United fan from Northern Ireland and his well-travelled flag could soon
feature on the silver screen.

Keith Norris has been asked to agree to make a film based on the book he has been
writing for three years.

It is his own story of growing up during the troubles in Northern Ireland and features
Big Lily, the huge flag which travels the world to United matches with Keith.

New York-based film company Velveteen Films want to buy the right to the book to make
a film. Keith hopes the club itself will also become involved in supporting the movie.

Keith, from Carrickfergus, is also discussing the production of a stage adaptation
with the Northern Ireland Arts Council, and a second film company has shown interest
in making the film.

He told Ananova: "Although Big Lily is a big part of the manuscript, it incorporates
the Northern Ireland troubles and promotes a good-news story of community harmony
based on a passion for the Reds.

"It's a story about survival, friendship, and how soccer - and Manchester United - was
the bond and the thing that helped us survive the hardship of the last thirty years."

He said of Big Lily, which has travelled to a match in Japan: "She's so well known now
and also played a role in finding my Japanese wife. So there's a lot of good
ingredients in there for a great movie."

---------------------------------
[37] Boro say nothing over Yorke rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It isn't the club's policy to comment on transfer speculation," a club spokesman said.

---------------------------------
[36] 'Arry Redknapp on Di Canio
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
[If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?]

Harry Redknapp on Paulo Di Cannio.

"I can understand anyone wanting him. He's a fantastic player and he's one of the
finest I've ever seen. He could play for any team in the world. But it's a question of
whether West Ham want to sell him or not and whether this is realistic or just paper
talk."

"Everybody thought I was crazy to sign him and I had people telling me he was
finished, but I think West Ham have got great service from him. The fans love him,
he's scored great goals and made great goals." f he was at Old Trafford on that big
stage I think he could do a fantastic job, but it's all ifs and buts at the moment.
He's such a fantastic footballer and he's in great shape. He's got the body of a
20-year-old. There's barely an ounce of flab on him because he trains really hard, he
follows a strict diet and he doesn't drink. I think he could play for another few
years yet."

---------------------------------
[35] Sad news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Charlie Mitten, 1948 Utd hero, sadly died yesterday, aged 80. Our thoughts and best
wishes go to his family.

---------------------------------
[34] West 'Am bods on move
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
TONY COTTEE: "I personally don't think it would be a mistake to sell Paolo. It's the
right time for this deal to happen. Paolo is a tremendous player but he's an
individual and at West Ham it's not always good to have an individual but important to
have a good team. Jermain Defoe is only 19 but a tremendous talent and could fill
Paolo's shoes. The transfer might leave West Ham a bit lightweight up front but Defoe
will be a top striker. I'm a big fan and with Paolo moving on, it would open up the
door for Jermain to show his undoubted ability."

FRANK LAMPARD Snr: "Paolo is world-class but it comes to a stage where a young lad is
coming through who needs to be let loose. It's good business for West Ham. Harry
Redknapp brought Paolo to Upton Park when no one wanted to touch him and I think we
got the best out of him. Defoe is an outstanding player for the long term and is in
the Ian Wright mould. Paolo's has been at West Ham a fair while and with young Defoe
coming through, I'm sure the fans will accept the move."

---------------------------------
[33] Frank Stapleton on the little Italian
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Sir Alex has a situation where he has the respect of the players and he does not want
someone upsetting it all. Di Canio can upset the apple cart. He is a fantastic talent.
But away from home you need players who, when things are not going well, can compete
and scrap. I'm not sure he's a scrapper."

---------------------------------
[32] Sammy Mac on Di Canio
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Di Canio is a great player. He would be an ideal buy for Sir Alex because he has the
experience, skill and know-how that are vital if you want to be a success at United.
He's obviously very temperamental but you know what you're getting with him. Di Canio
is just a short-term buy. Yet he could be the key to success for Sir Alex. Sir Alex
has tried to operate a new system this season, with Paul Scholes just behind Ruud van
Nistelrooy. Di Canio, though, would be perfect for that role. He can also play wide on
the left or the right, so United would be getting a player who can perform almost
anywhere. And we all know he is a goalscorer. He is coming towards the end of his
career and will want to win some trophies. He has a good chance at United."

---------------------------------
[31] Tony Gale on Di Canio
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Paolo can do for Alex Ferguson what Eric Cantona did at Old Trafford for the best
part of five years. He can bring a touch of the unexpected that has been missing from
much of United play this season. When Ryan Giggs is out of the United line-up they
have no other player who can go past defenders. It was no coincidence that United's
revival in form occurred when Giggs was back in the side after injury. All the rest of
the Manchester United squad are passers of the ball — Di Canio has the ability
to take on his markers and go past them. I've heard some people say Di Canio would be
a bad influence at United but we are only talking about a short-term contract. Di
Canio is a bit of a footballing gypsy. He likes what he sees, then outgrows it and
looks for pastures new."

---------------------------------
[30] Only buy it to read United...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Gary

and just to complete the Sun's blanket coverage of Man United - and thereby proving
that even they must realise United are bigger than England....

Pages 62-63 include:

SIGNING THAT STUNNED SOCCER

A "how Di Canio will look" manufactured picture of Di Canio in a United home shirt.
The accompanying report by Neil Custis starts:

"Ryan Giggs believes Manchester United have landed one of football's great
entertainers in Paolo Di Canio. The magical Italian attacker has agreed a move to Old
Trafford in a surprise switch from West Ham."

Also comments on how PDC will do well at United from Sammy McIlroy and Frank Stapelton
- and "He'll be new Cantona" comments from former 'ammer Tony Gale.

"Reds on Ruud to title raps Robson" is the caption on a small piece repeating the
quotes about Bobby Robson wanting to sign RvN for Newcastle but not having the money,
Robson's tippping of us for the title and how RvN will play an important part in that.

Finally....

Fergie lines up Superkid, 15

'Manchester United are on the trail of the schoolboy rated football's biggest prospect
since Michael Owen. The premiership champions have made discreet inquiries about Dean
Bowditch - on schoolboy forms at Ipswich.

The England Under-16 striker, just 15, has been watched by United scouts and glowing
reports have reached manager Alex Ferguson. United would have to pay compensation if
Bowditch, who lives in Bishop's Stortford, herts, declines to continue at Ipswich.'

---------------------------------
[29] If you wanted some detail to it all
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Gary

The Sun, pages 60-61

FERGIE CAUSES PROBLEM FOR SVEN

A Scotsman and an Argie are putting our bid for World Cup in jeopardy

John Sadler "on Beckham the substitute"

'Just 147 days to go before the start of the World Cup. And the signs are England's
already daunting campaign will be led by a substitute. In case facts had escaped you,
David Beckham is experiencing an astonishing fall from grace at Manchester United, a
slump in status that threatens the national team's prospects of surviving the initial
group stage in Japan.'

There follows an article that refers to "Scotsman" and "Argie" quite a bit (the
Xenophobia is making an early start ahead of the World Cup), making comparisons to
Eriksson advising Fowler that he needed first team football and a conclusion that the
Paolo Di Canio speculation does not help Becks' prospects (how??).

The piece ends as follows...

'United's recent results may have confirmed Ferguson's judgement but they have done
nothing but harm Eriksson's peace of mind. The sacrificing of England's captain in
favour of Argentina's play-maker threatens serious ramifications. Argentina, Sweden
and Nigeria posed a big enough obstacle.
With the skipper temporarily unemployed, it is getting bigger by the minute.

As a racehorse owner, Ferguson is well aware there are times when an idling
thoroughbred "needed the run". The same applies to the thoroughbred footballer. In two
short months, Beckham experienced the relative transition of a Derby winner reduced to
giving 50p rides for kiddies on Skegness beach.
However valid the reasons, it is alarming to dicover that.... In World Cup year, with
the global game preparing for its "classic", the captain of England is not at the
races.'

Hmmm - it is annoying, but not surprising, to find that..... In Fergie's last year,
with a fightback taking us back to second in the league, with a good position in the
Champions' League, and the FA Cup about to kick off, the English tabloid journalists
are whipping up "patriotism" and slagging off the world's biggest club - "do it for
England"? Bollocks to that - "Do
it for United" more like.

---------------------------------
[28] SUN go United crazy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Gary

It looks like there's plenty in the Sun today, so more to follow later but the front
page is screaming the following headline:

"A Scotsman drops England's captain for an Argie. How the hell can that help us win
the World Cup?"

Well...

a) "A Scotsman" -> irrelevant xenophobia
b) "An Argie" -> irrelevant xenophobia
c) "How the hell..." -> by giving a hard-worked player a chance to
recuperate and recover
d) United is priority until June anyway.

The article is a load of buckum anyway - saying it's not deliberate and understandable
considering lack of form and recent Utd results - but the screaming front page (over
half!) will get the ABUs in a lather, as per usual.

---------------------------------
[27] First Goalscorer ...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
 ... stats and odds as well as ref to follow tomorrow.

Check  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 Sporting
Odds for details.

---------------------------------
[26] Half Time : Full Time
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
Aston Villa | Aston Villa     11/2
Aston Villa | Draw     14/1
Aston Villa | Manchester United     25/1
Draw | Aston Villa     7/1
Draw | Draw     4/1
Draw | Manchester United     4/1
Manchester United | Aston Villa     28/1
Manchester United | Draw     16/1
Manchester United | Manchester United     7/4

RHT: Likely result is Manchester United | Manchester United  (correct for Newcastle
too) at  7/4 but the usual value bet I like to cover is the comeback i.e. Aston Villa
| Manchester United     25/1 This 2nd half comeback bet comes in often enough over the
seasons to make it worth following - probably because of United's mental strength and
determination to fight to the last minute. On the other hand we are losing at half
time less often than average so we have less opportunities to make a 2nd half
comeback. Swings & roundabouts.

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 More Info

---------------------------------
[25] What's the score ...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
Correct Score Odds for United win:

1-0  6/1
2-0  7/1
2-1  7/1
3-0  12/1
3-1  12/1
3-2  25/1
4-0  33/1
4-1  33/1
4-2  50/1

RHT: A winner again with the correct score of 3:1 against Newcastle. And if you picked
the Scorecast with Ruud and 3:1 that I tipped (but didn't back - I had Solskjaer at
50/1) you'd have trousered a 25/1 spanking. Which is nice. Against Villa you might
expect Schmikes to pull out all the stops but I'd go for a win by 1 goal - either 2:1
or 1:0

Correct score betting is the noblest art of gambling, I think you'll agree.

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 Bet here

---------------------------------
[24] Goals statistics
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
Goals statistics Villa 1st | United 2nd
Avg goals scored 1.3 | Avg goals scored 2.1
Avg goals scored at home 1.3 | Avg goals scored away 1.8
Avg goals conceded  1.1 | Avg goals conceded  1.4
Avg goals conceded at home 0.8 | Avg goals conceded away 1.8
Clean sheets  10 | Clean sheets  9
Clean sheets at home 8 | Clean sheets away 3

---------------------------------
[23] Recent Utd results at Villa
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
last 6 results of this fixture
English Premier Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United 26-08-2001
English Premier Aston Villa 0-1 Manchester United 26-12-2000
English Premier Aston Villa 0-1 Manchester United 14-05-2000
English League Cup Aston Villa 3-0 Manchester United 13-10-1999
English Premier Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United 05-12-1998
English Premier Aston Villa 0-2 Manchester United 18-02-1998

---------------------------------
[22] United to win ...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
.. again

RHT: Correctly predicted the win v Newcastle (and the last 6 now of course) and the
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 bookies have made
us favourites for an away FA Cup tie. I think I'd again look at at a multiple bet
especially as  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
Sporting Odds are doing promotion on it where you get your stake back if one of your
selections lets your accumulator down.

Aston Villa     11/4
Manchester United     4/5
Draw     12/5

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews1
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[21] All time record v Villa
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
All time results between Aston Villa and Manchester United
 | ASTON VILLA WINS | DRAWS | MANCHESTER UNITED WINS   |
League | 42 | 33 | 62 |
FA | Cup | 2 | 0 | 6 |
League | Cup | 4 | 1 | 1 |
Other | 0 | 0 | 1 |
Total | 48 | 34 | 70 |

---------------------------------
[20] Current Form - Villa & United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by redend:
Form (most recent on right)

Villa 1st | United 2nd
10 match form DLLDLWLLDD | 10 match form LLWLWWWWWW
home form dLLWLD | away form LDLWWW
games since win 4 | games since win 0
games since loss 2 | games since loss 6
games since draw 0 | games since draw 10
home games since win 2 | away games since win 0
home games since loss 1 | away games since loss 3
home games since draw 0 | away games since draw 4

---------------------------------
[19] Differing views on the Cry Babies disallowed goal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, January 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Keiron Dyer

"Maybe if we were the home team, Nobby's goal would have stood and that would have
changed the whole complexion of the game. I've spoken to a few people and they've said
the same thing and it's one of those things. Probably if we had been playing up at St
James' Park and Manchester United had scored that goal it would probably have been
disallowed as well. It's all ifs and buts, but I think Manchester United deserved it
in the end."

Fergie:

"He shoved him. There was no doubt about it. In actual fact, just before that, Alan
Shearer had also shoved Mikael off the ball and I don't think there was any doubt
about it."