RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[32] Ronaldo dismisses move talk
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I will stay at Inter for life."

---------------------------------
[31] Blanc on Liverpool defeat
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"When it came to the last five or ten minutes, I really felt that the best either side
could hope for was a draw. I think both sides would probably have settled for a 0-0
draw. It was a body blow to concede in such a way and at such a late stage. We would
have settled for a 0-0 draw at that stage. Although we probably had a lot more of the
ball, a 0-0 would still have served us in that it would have kept our run going and we
still would have kept the same distance between us and Liverpool."

---------------------------------
[30] Blanc believes
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"What we've got to say to ourselves now is put this one out of the way and concentrate
on starting another positive run. We've still got as good a chance as anyone else. I
think before the end of the first half of the season, there were a lot of people
writing us off. We then put together a fantastic run of matches and had eight
victories on the trot."

---------------------------------
[29] Won't come to see United
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mirror reports that Boro will have large amounts of 'empty spaces' on Saturday as home
fans aren't buying tickets - now on general sale of course.

---------------------------------
[28] Didn't he say they'd have won the Premiership by now?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Michael Knighton sells up, from the Mirror

'MICHAEL Knighton, the man who once tried to take over Manchester United, quit
football yesterday when he sold off Carlisle United.

Knighton's nine-year reign at the struggling Third Division club ended after he agreed
to sell to Irish millionaire John Courtenay.

After almost three years of speculation over whether Knighton would sell, Courtenay
said: "Everything has been agreed. It will take three or four weeks for the legal work
to be done.

"I have taken over lock, stock and barrel and I'm absolutely delighted. The Knighton
family will be finished with the club. I'm not kicking them out - they are perfectly
happy to go."

Courtenay was given a hero's reception by fans at Tuesday's 3-0 win over Rushden and
Diamonds at Brunton Park.'

---------------------------------
[27] United progress in Youth Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Beat Birmingham, away, 3-2.

---------------------------------
[26] Taliban are ABUs?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'An Afghan footballer says he was jailed and tortured by the Taliban for watching
Manchester United on television.

Syed Shah, of Kabul side Maywand, was caught watching the Reds' European Cup
quarter-final match against Bayern Munich last year.

The David Beckham fan was arrested and jailed for a week after paying a friend to make
a satellite dish from oil cans.

Mr Shah, 21, will play for an Afghan side taking on British troops in a football match
next month, The Sun reports.

He said: "All I wanted to do was watch my hero - but they held me down and beat the
soles of my feet with electric cables."

---------------------------------
[25] Another Red News exclusive - pre-season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
A good source tells us that In Norway both Baekkelaget Sportsclub (in Oslo) and Oslo
East (Uniteds new farmer club) have invited United to Oslo, but so far they are not
co-operating together on this, which is quite strange since United are hardly going to
say yes to both invitations. While Baekkelaget wants United to come in the period 28th
of July to August the 3rd, Oslo East are being more flexible.  Both clubs have said
"nothing definite yet" when we asked, but both clubs hope to make an announcement
"very shortly".

---------------------------------
[24] Pure bollocks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'

 Ananova :

Report: Inter offer Ronaldo as Beckham swap bait

Inter Milan are ready to offer Ronaldo to Manchester United in exchange for David
Beckham, according to a story in the Daily Mail.

The paper's 'exclusive' claims that Inter have made an official inquiry about Beckham,
and are ready to offer him £200,000-a-week.

That is double the amount that Beckham is said to be asking at Old Trafford, where
talks over his a contract are ongoing.

The report also reckons the Italians are prepared to lose Ronaldo, who earns around
£100,000-a-week, if that is the only way to get Beckham.

Ronaldo is currently on his way back from a series of serious knee injuries which have
kept him out of action for the most part since the World Cup Final in 1998, following
several operations and rehabilitation treatment which have cost Inter millions of
pounds.'

---------------------------------
[23] Did you know
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Did you know that when Phil Thompson actually sat down on Tuesday night he had to sit
in the 7th row of the stand to avoid
tripping David Beckham up"

---------------------------------
[22] Van Gaal drops United hint now
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"There have not been any negotiations so far but I have heard there is interest in me
from United. They are one of the top names in Europe and it would be a very appealing
proposition. Any manager with ambition and belief in himself would love to work for a
club as big as United."

---------------------------------
[21] More cuddly Pete on Becks deal - worrying comments?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Come on Becks, get it sorted - before the World Cup would give us all a lift.

Kenyon:

"You reach a point where you cannot go any further. And after several months of
negotiations, you reach a point where you conclude it one way or another. He has not
said ‘I’m not going to sign’ and we have not said ‘Sign or else’. We are at that time
where we are close, but not close enough to get an agreement. You get to a point when
you have to put it all on the back burner for the club’s and player’s interests. That
takes us to the end of the season now and nothing will be done then with the World Cup
coming up. I’m sure we are both frustrated. We’d still like to get it completed. But
the football must come first."

---------------------------------
[20] Wenger gets little dig at our loss
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"If you want to win the title you cannot say it is no problem if you lose."

(Fergie had said that after the Mickey defeat)

"The manager has to believe his team can do it. I do. What is very positive for us is
United have had a big winning run — yet they haven’t got away from the rest of us."

---------------------------------
[19] More Wenger on title race
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"By the end of the season, one goal or one point could make a difference. It is
looking like that. Five or six teams could win the title, which is unusual, as it is
usually only two in the race. But it is back in our hands now. We have become
consistent and that's why I believe we can do it. The only poor result we have had
recently in the league was against Newcastle and I felt we were unlucky in that game.
I have been saying for many weeks that this team have got great belief and spirit. We
have been to Leeds and Leicester, which are two difficult places to go to, and have
taken four points when it could have been six.''

---------------------------------
[18] FAGIN'S LOT
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by redend:
Alex Plypin:

Everything was set up.

The worst run the mickies had had for ages, us `due' after 4 successive defeats, the
recent Ruud form (albeit not the whole team), The Winning Ways, the Streford in
full-throated roar, them on the back foot for most of the game....

...so, why did I go home feeling that my wallet was missing after brushing past a
group of scallies?

PS You've got to pick a pocket or two!

---------------------------------
[17] More from the nose man
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It was only a few weeks ago I was named Manager of the Month.  I had taken the team
into the second phase of the Champions League and to the top of the Premiership. We
will be in the shake-up for the title come May."

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie on Liverpool
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"They have sharpened that old competitive spirit I enjoyed in the first few years of
my management at Old Trafford."

---------------------------------
[15] Ho bloody ho
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Phil Thompson:

"I have enjoyed good times and bad times this season but I will take it all on the
chin not the nose!"

---------------------------------
[14] Van Gaal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
has denied any negotiations with United on dutch tv.

---------------------------------
[13] Wenger confident of league
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
After beating Leicester, 3-1

"We knew before the game, it was down to us. It's back in our hands now and we have
become consistent. That's why we believe we can do it. It just shows what Manchester
United do, we are up for it for every game. I've been convinced that Manchester United
would draw points so now it is down to us."

---------------------------------
[12] Cuddly Pete on latest Becks situation
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I think we're close, but still a bit adrift. I guess we're all getting a bit
frustrated by that. But we want him to sign and he wants to be a Manchester United
player and I'm sure we'll get there. It has gone on longer than we all thought for all
the right reasons. These things take a long time. These are big contracts for an
important period of time for him and a big contract and important issues for the club
so we've got to get it right. I'm sure he will continue to be a Manchester United
player and that will be for the benefit of everybody. The deal has got to be the right
deal for both parties and one that we can look each other in the eye and live with for
years to come."

---------------------------------
[11] Betting promotion
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
And if you are having a bet, you help the web site with its costs.

PENALTY NOTICE!

SportingOdds will give you £20 if a Penalty is awarded in Sunday's Arsenal v Liverpool
FA Cup tie!

You'll also receive a further £10 if a Penalty is missed!

All you have to do is register with SportingOdds and place a £5 bet on the game.

WIN OR LOSE

We'll also give you a free £10 bet on the First Match Scorer!!!

Click on the link below to find out your rights and responsibilities (and for more
details on this offer!)…

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 Click Here for
info

---------------------------------
[10] Not in our league
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Scoiser, Alan Kennedy:

"Maybe Liverpool do not have flair players like Manchester United, few teams do. What
they have got are players who work for each other, and work terribly hard. Liverpool
do not have players who can run with the ball and attack players, like Ryan Giggs
does. But they cost lots of money and Liverpool even now don't have the sort of
resources that United do. United can collect strikers and attacking players because
they have vastly more money than the rest."

---------------------------------
[9] Ex-Boro star doesn't want Yorke
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bernie Slaven:

"I would have to question whether Dwight Yorke would want to leave the champions to
join a club fighting against relegation. Has he got the desire and the passion and the
hunger for the battle to stay in the top flight? He doesn't want to join Middlesbrough
and end up in the First Division. We've had top players join the club before and then
disappear when we've got relegated. I wouldn't think he'd want to risk the same thing,
and the club wouldn't want to risk losing him after just a few months. And I'm not
sure if he's a McClaren player. The signings he's made so far have been model pros,
guys who don't mess about on or off the pitch, and Yorke has been in the papers for
the wrong reasons too often. I just think that would go against the grain.

I certainly hope that we can get away from the relegation zone and start winning a few
games, but I think McClaren has to bring in a couple of fresh faces to give the side a
lift and a boost. I just hope the lads understand how important it is to the club and
the whole town that they get out of it this time."

---------------------------------
[8] Wenger discounts Chelsea though
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"In the title race, I think they will maybe be short. But in the race for the
Champions League places, they still have a good chance. There are so many big fixtures
coming up in the next six weeks that you'd expect there to be another selection made
before Easter. That's why the period just facing us now is so important. We want to
keep up there before the Champions League starts again as sometimes you can drop
points then."

---------------------------------
[7] Wenger thinks we'll lose again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "What is very positive is that Manchester United have had such a big run and they are
still not away from anybody. They will drop points again, don't worry. They will not
win all their games until the end of the season. That's why it's still down to us and
to our consistency. If you want to win it, a manager has to believe his team can do
it."

---------------------------------
[6] Song of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
A new version from Sean

'follow follow follow , cos the scousers are going to inter-toto, you were eleven
points ahead now its Moldova instead, cos the scousers are going to inter-toto'

---------------------------------
[5] A seller writes
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Thanks to the Scousers"

Thank you for covering my back in spit as I sold Red News

Thank you for singing your "runway" song behind the safety of your coach windows

Thank you for running from said coaches straight into the ground, now quiet as mice

Thank you for keeping quiet for 84 minutes

Thank you for showing us what attacking free flowing football we are blessed with at OT

Thank you for reminding me of Wimbledon circa 88

Thank you for showing me a worse striker than Gary Birtles

And finally, Thank you for confirming that your fall from grace is now complete and
you are the equivilant of Bolton

YSB'

---------------------------------
[4] Red letter
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
to RN

'I was just listening to Eamon Dunphy on Irish radio. Eamon is a journalist, and
ex-player, but also the man ghost writing Roy's new autobiography. He said on the show
tonight that he knew united were not going to win the match last night, because he
heard from a secret contact that a star player which he refused to name, was carrying
a hamstring strain into Tuesday's match. The man is obsessed with Keane so it could
only be him surely. It  would explain alot of things defintely.

cheers, Andrew'

---------------------------------
[3] Red News comment
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
The 'believe' campaign starts again. Down after Tuesday still but not out - the words
'travesty' still ringing in our throats, if such a feat were possible. A terrible
record against our rivals this season does hurt - but consistently beating the lower
teams in the league will win us the league.

As we said after West Ham looking at the next 7 league games. If we win those we are
back in it and deserve to win the league, if we didn't, we wouldn't. It's the same
now. We are top - and our next league games are against

Home Sunderland Villa Spurs and Boro
Away Bolton Charlton Derby and West Ham

Eight games that are ours - if on form - to win. Not losing and getting a good run in
those games will see us stay top, failure to do so and we won't deserve the title.
Simple as that. We believe, do you? Of course, so Tuesday, like Liverpool's glory
days, is well and truly in the past.

As tghe label says. 11 years and counting.

---------------------------------
[2] A Red observation
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
To some people a "double double" means beating an opponent home and away two seasons
running. For others, the term means winning the League and the FA Cup in the same
season twice. It's a bit like the difference between "an unprecedented treble" and
"THE TREBLE".

rb

---------------------------------
[1] Red News exclusive - pre-season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
After much talk in the Spanish press about us playing in Madrid in a four team
tournament we've been looking into our pre-season. Madrid denied our involvement but
we did get Scandanavian confirmation that we are playing one game in Norway,
opposition as yet still unknown.

We have snouts in all manner of places and we are happy to reveal - although our
bodies shreak with horror at the the thought of it - that our Dutch friends have been
able to tell Red News that we are to play in a 4 team tournament in Amsterdam this
summer. It's a cert.

The FA gave yet to confirm starting dates for the season (as on the ball as ever) but
we are led to believe that Norway may well be at the end of July with the 'Dam games
somewhere in the first few days of August. We'll let you know more after speaking to
our friends in the 'Dam.

---------------------------------
[35] Fergie on why it wasn't Ole up front
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I would have played Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a bit earlier but he'd had an injury and he
was lucky to play really"

---------------------------------
[34] Fergie on title race
Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The title race is now very tight, very, very tight. It has every chance of going to
the wire. Everyone else will be delighted by this. It is going to make it a really
interesting finish. Hopefully we will be there and we deserve to be there. We have to
go on another run and take things from games. We have to repair the damage. I am
disappointed to have lost it, but it happens and you just have to accept it. These
things do come around and you have to handle it right. The important thing is to
recover.''