RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[35] Fergie on our misses on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Scholesy hit a few wide, and you'd expect players to hit the target. Ruud had on
which he hit first time when Scholes was running in on it. We had good chances, not
clear cut ones."

---------------------------------
[34] Fergie on injuries
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I'm not too concerned about not having scored for two games. We've been playing well,
and with Ryan having flu and Ruud not being at his best haven't helped. Ole wasn't
100% fit either, and we left the substitution as late as we possibly could."

---------------------------------
[33] Fergie on Ruud being rested
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't wish I'd started with Ruud van Nistelrooy as he's done well recently, you
have to be fair to the lad and we've got a long season still to go."

---------------------------------
[32] Fergie thought it'd be replay
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I just kept thinking I could do without a replay. The Cup does that to you. You think
you're in a decent position where you can't lose the game and yet we've lost."

---------------------------------
[31] McClaren on Yorke and United
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
'I was also asked about Dwight Yorke - surprise, surprise as he was sat on the United
bench not far from me for much of the game. My interest in the player is on the record
but I have to confess I had not taken in the fact that Yorke's late appearance as
substitute means he would be cup-tied if he moved to another club. That is of no real
concern to me now - and anyway there are far more games to concern us in the
Premiership. A decision on Yorke will be made sooner rather than later.

The league must be our prime concern and while it is nice to beat Manchester United it
the FA Cup, my only thoughts now concern Sunderland and getting a good result from the
Stadium of Light in what is sure to be another passionate North East derby. We have to
focus on that now.

Meanwhile, of course questions will be asked about United as they have just lost at
home to Liverpool and fol lowed that, admittedly with changes to their side, with this
Cup defeat against us. My thoughts on that are quite straight forward: they will
recover from this setback. They've done it before, as we have seen recently in the
Premiership, and they will do it again.

They are dangerous after losing a game and even more dangerous after losing two on the
bounce.

As for us, yes, it was a tremendous win. '

---------------------------------
[30] McClaren in the Guardian
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
'So is beating Manchester United, my old club, a fantastic feeling? It's the question
I expected to be asked after this game and, of course, the answer is 'yes'. But it is
no greater than the feeling I have after beating any opponents - and I hope I will be
feeling just as good when we play Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Tuesday night.

I was not impressed with the first half. Before half-time we looked as if we were
waiting to be beaten and were fortunate to come in 0-0 at half-time. You can't expect
to play like that against Manchester United and win. We had to change - and we did. We
needed shoring up in mid field, where they were over-running us, and a bit more energy
and passion into the cup tie against the best team in the country.

We had to show more and did that straight from kick-off. We defended very well, got a
slice of luck and took our opportunities. Mind you, we weren't alone in making
changes.

When we played United in the Premiership last month, Ryan Giggs came off the bench in
the second half to set up Ruud van Nistelrooy to score in United's 1-0 victory at the
Riverside. And that same pairing were among United's substitutes in this game and I
dreaded those two coming on. Sure enough, they both came on after the break. We were
digging in and had a bit of fortune with with a header off the line; then Paul Scholes
missed one - and maybe that's when I thought this could be our day, cup ties are like
that.

And gradually there was a feeling in the second half that we had them rattled. That if
we took advantage that we could do it, and we that is what we did. It certainly will
give us all - including the fans - a lift.

You don't get to many opportunities against United, they tend to be few and far
between and we did well to take them both.

I know much will be made about the attendance. The turnout of 17,000 will perhaps
raise eyebrows and there is no doubt that it was disappointing but there are many
reasons for that. It is up to us to get results and performances like this one will, I
am sure, spread the word and the fans will then come back to the Riverside. I am sure
they will come and watch exciting football such as we played in the second half. We
all know we need to produce more of that. '

---------------------------------
[29] United deny Becks deal done
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From BBC sport online

'Manchester United have denied reports that David Beckham has signed a new contract
with the club.

The Sunday Express suggested that the England captain had accepted a £75,000-a-week
"playing" contract and an image rights deal worth £20,000 a week.

Those two contracts would have made Beckham the highest-paid player in United's
history.

But club spokesman Paddy Harveson said: "This is pure speculation - a new contract has
not been agreed.

"But we are very confident that David will sign a new deal. He is keen to stay at
Manchester United and we are eager to keep him here."

---------------------------------
[28] McClaren has joke at Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I've not had a chance to speak to Sir Alex yet but I'll be going downstairs to share
a bottle of wine with him. I'll be getting out the expensive stuff."

---------------------------------
[27] Did they say this after Villa?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Indy

'Manchester United's disinterest in the Cup remains intact.\

---------------------------------
[26] Team from Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
Barthez, Silvestre, Gary Neville, Blanc, Butt, Phil Neville, Chadwick (Giggs 61),
Keane, Scholes, Solskjaer (Yorke 80) Wallwork (Van Nistelrooy 61).

Still trying to fathom out how we lost that - nice touch seeing Ruud make a real
effort to applaud the Utd fans at the final whistle.

---------------------------------
[25] More from Whelan
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The last time Ryan Giggs changed the game but today the lads stuck to their guns and
in the second half everything changed. The manager made changes because we were
getting overrun in midfield. We put an extra man in there and it gave us a lot more
attacking options."

---------------------------------
[24] Fergie reflects
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I feel disappointed. It was careless and scrappy to give that game away . . .
ridiculous. I was confident at half-time. Our passing was good and we controlled the
match. They changed their system and we stopped using our width and contributed to our
own downfall."

---------------------------------
[23] More from McClaren
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It is always sweet to beat Manchester United. I enjoyed it, but no more than any
other victory. My team have just beaten the best. If they don't take some
self-confidence and belief in to the Premiership from this then they'll never learn.
I'll strangle them. We had a bad first half, but I've seen worse. I told them the cup
needs passion first and foremost and that is what they gave me after the break. It is
a springboard to get out of the bottom three."

---------------------------------
[22] Whelan gets black eye
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I was celebrating Andy's winner when a fan surged forward and caught me with his fat
fist. But it was worth it. I am getting my scoring touch back and the gaffer is
playing me as an outright forward instead of on the left wing. I am determined to make
a name for myself for the right reasons. I want to be known for my goals."

---------------------------------
[21] Noel Whelan on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The boss told us at half-time to have no fear. We were told to go out and not be
afraid of United and we weren't because in the second half we proved ourselves the
better team. That is the way to play them. No fear. Give it a go because everyone
thinks you'll lose anyway. They cannot claim that was a weak team. They still had
Keane, Butt, Scholes and Solskjaer. In fact when they brought Ryan Giggs and Ruud van
Nistelrooy off the bench it gave us a boost. It meant we were doing our jobs and
frustrating them. I could not believe it when Laurent Blanc didn't clear the ball
before our first goal. I was backing him to head it away. Up to then he'd been fairly
consistent."

---------------------------------
[20] United fans get praise
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From John Sadler in the SUN

'Ah yes, tiredness. Van Nistelrooy was tired, according to his manager. Admitted it,
apparently, after the midweek defeat by Liverpool.

But we can safely assume he won’t be regarded or described as tired for the rest of
the season if Ferguson’s declaration is to be enforced.

Too late, though, if United ever had as much interest in the Cup as their 2,000 fans
who travelled to Teesside and made such a terrific contribution to a mostly lifeless
event.

United were not beaten by the better team. They weren’t even caught out by their
ex-coach’s half-time changes.

They lost because they found themselves in a match that didn’t inspire or motivate the
required level of performance.'

---------------------------------
[19] Carragher coin hit girl?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
According to a caller to TalkSport this morning, he was next to a woman who was hit by
the coin that Jamie Carragher threw back into the crowd.  He reckons it hit her near
her eye.  The caller was interviewed by the police along with the woman who was hit
and her boyfriend.  He says they were insistent that charges should be brought against
Carragher.

---------------------------------
[18] Next round of the Youth Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
is home to Hartlepool United on the 16th of February

---------------------------------
[17] THAT WAS THE WEEK THAT WAS..
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by redend:

Alex Plypin:

It started with me 'mislaying' the lottery tickets - which still have not turned up -
but by Friday I had to check the numbers, in case we HAD won, and I had lost my house
to the other members of the syndicate. They must be around here somewhere - in a safe
place - so, we didn't win.

Enough has already been said and written about Tuesday night's mugging, which followed
 The Meeting From Hell - a 4 hour + marathon. This was a mixture of mind-numbing
tedium, and gut-churning frustration, as our Head Honcho had taken a day off from
setting Maths exam papers.

On Wednesday, in an attempt to answer the unanswerable, I managed to set off a Period
End at work at c3pm. This meant a full restore, and everyone had to repeat everything
that they had done for the day, before going home. Fortunately, most are lazy bastards.

So, when it got to Saturday, I was not one of those `how many' merchants, as T'Cup is
a different kettle of fish to yer ordinary fixture. And, it is not as if we wiped the
floor with them a few weeks ago. Not only that, but I had reluctantly accepted John's
hospitality to watch the game - despite having NEVER seen United do anything but lose
at his house. When I saw the team, I though that Fergie mustn't be arsed, although in
the first 20 minutes we could easily have been 2 or 3 up. The decision to sell Andy
Cole looked a bit suspect, and sending on the big guns after an hour looked like
bordering on the desperation of a last throw.

Still, they could not score in a brothel, and half their fans did not bother to turn
up - the other half were there in body only. A dodgy free kick is given against Giggsy
in the last 5 minutes, and their goalie makes a speculative hoof upfield. Blank were
our looks as it sailed over Laurent's head, and another late rally is now imperative.
Fab kicks the ball out tamely into the centre circle, where Nicky Butt is scythed down
from behind amidst a posse of their players, and before long it's 2-0, with a couple
of minutes to go.

As usual, the fairweather ABUpundits who, a couple of weeks ago, were lauding the
Juggernaut, are now suddenly sniggering again. It is a good job that no right-minded
people take the slightest heed, whatever these half-wits have to say. So, no Treble
this season, then!!

PS The dirty arse game yesterday cheered me up a bit.

---------------------------------
[16] McClaren expects the woodwork to start creaking
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It is up to us to get results and performances like that and I am sure the word will
spread to come back to the Riverside and watch exciting football like they saw in the
second half. We need to produce more of that and the fans will come back."

---------------------------------
[15] McClaren feared out substitutions
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I dreaded those two coming on and we were fortunate just after that with a header off
the line, Paul Scholesy missed one - then I thought this could be our day, cup ties
are like that. There was a feeling in the second half that we had them rattled and if
we took advantage that we could do it, and we did."

---------------------------------
[14] Forlan to play some stage against Bolton
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie confirmed that Forlan 'will feature' against Bolton - a must win, for league
and confidence alike. Certainly the consensus post match Saturday is that it should be
4-4-2 and no resting at all for the remainder of the season. Seeing Cole's blazing
start for Rovers does make you think though, doesn't it?

---------------------------------
[13] Loan move until end of the season
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mark Lynch will stay at St Johnstone until the end of the season.

---------------------------------
[12] Fergie on Becks talks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Peter Kenyon is dealing with that and I just hope everything is sorted out because I
know David wants to stay"

---------------------------------
[11] Yorke will join Boro if he drops wage demands
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
McCLaren on him playing as sub on Saturday and bizarrely being cup tied - which makes
you wonder why he didn't feature last Tuesday when we needed a striker, fit and raring
to go?

"It was nothing to do with us that Yorke was on the substitutes' bench for them. We
are in the middle of discussions with them and I hope I have something to say about
the situation sooner rather than later."

---------------------------------
[10] McClaren still buzzing
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
 “We looked during the first half as if we were waiting for them to score, we looked
as if we were waiting to get beat. I couldn’t get them into the dressing room at
half-time quick enough. Everyone has been talking about who they left on their bench
but don’t forget we had quite a few injuries as well as Paul Ince, the captain,
suspended. Our performance was even more satisfactory, being without those players. At
half-time it wasn’t as much me being angry with the players as frustrated. We were
showing them too much respect, we didn’t pass the ball and we didn’t compete. It was a
case of changing attitudes, realising this was a cup-tie and that passion is its main
ingredient. We showed that in the second half but in the first I just thought we were
waiting to concede the first goal. It was a bloody long 45 minutes.”

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie unhappy
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
“It was a careless, scrappy performance by us and I am very disappointed. We
controlled the match in the first half. We were passing the ball well but then they
changed things at half-time. We stopped using our width. It was tailor-made for this
and I feel we contributed to our own downfall. And individual errors crept back in on
Saturday. We thought we had corrected them after going on a tremendous run but they
were there again. Credit to them. They changed things, had that extra man in midfield
and became more aggressive. But they didn’t look as if they could win the match. But
it was the FA Cup and it does this too you. We were careless and paid for it, and the
combination of Ryan Giggs having had the flu since Tuesday and Ruud not quite at his
best when he went on did not help us. But the cup can do that to you. We have
experienced it many times in our favour in the past so you have to accept it. But I am
very disappointed.”

---------------------------------
[8] McClaren happy
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
“Winning breeds confidence and we have just beaten the best. If they don’t take
self-belief and confidence from this then they never will. We have got to take it
forward now into our league programme, starting Tuesday night at Sunderland.”

---------------------------------
[7] What crowd?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
Andy Campbell on his goal on Saturday

“When I came on about 15 minutes from time I immediately felt that they were uneasy at
the back. They were a bit wary of pace but when the ball was in the air they were
eating it up all day. However, they struggled when the ball was on the ground and that
is my game. In the second half we caused them a little bit of trouble, we had a few
shots, got the crowd up and that gave us a lift. We had a few half-chances but needed
a bit of luck. In the end we got it.”

---------------------------------
[6] More Carragher fall out
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
A Scotland Yard spokeswoman warned: "We are investigating an incident which occurred
at Highbury. I cannot rule out charges but would not like to speculate on any offence
which may have been committed."

Phil Honkson: "Jamie said he was hit by a coin and that other objects were thrown at
him from the crowd. But two wrongs do not make a right. There is no excuse for what he
did. He was out of order and I have told him so. But I am worried by recent incidents
of missiles being thrown from the crowd. Somebody somewhere along the line is going to
get hurt badly. An eye will be lost or something else serious will happen. People see
these things on TV and want to do it themselves. What Jamie did has not helped
matters."

---------------------------------
[5] Carrager is sorry
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I regret what happened. I let down the club, the fans, my team-mates and myself. No
matter what the physical or verbal provocation, I shouldn't have reacted like that. I
want to apologise for any offence I've caused. I was frustrated and did it without
thinking in the heat of the moment. It was completely out of character, but I'm not
trying to make excuses. It was wrong and, as a professional footballer, I should have
known better. It's a mistake I won't make again."

Although some of the RN disagree with how lengthy the ban should be and action by the
authorities - I wouldn't say a year ban but do think non football authorities SHOULD
be involved. Imagine if a kid got hit, or the fans got on the pitch to get at the
player as a result of him throwing it back - what then? Will Liverpool ban the player
with immediate effect, like Utd did. There are comparisons to be made with Eric, but
with that there was no danger to anyone but the two involved.

A RN reader wrote in to us:

'Just a point about the bin dippers today. What is the difference between Eric at
Palace and Carragher today? Both were technically assaults so can we expect Carragher
to get an 8 month ban and a court appearance followed by a custodial sentence? After
all if they get the bloke who threw the coin in the first place I expect he'll be
hauled up before the bench. And another thing, Carragher threw it at the crowd
indiscriminately and could have taken someone's eye out. At least the coward who threw
it originally aimed it at Carragher's back'.

---------------------------------
[4] Quote of the weekend
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Martin

A quote from Mark Lawrenson. Speaking on Irish Radio I actually heard him say
"Liverpool are dull, they are terribly dull"

So there, even a former player who played at snails pace thinks they're Boring.
Ironically they've become the team that denied them the double in 1988. I would draw a
comparison between Heskey and John Fashanu but for one important stat. Fash scored a
few in his time.

Just one other from Eamonn Dunphy, "the current United team seems to be made for
Liverpool".

---------------------------------
[3] The Sunday tabloids
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by bar-knee:
The stories you may have missed from the weekend, courtesy of the 4th Estate...

Jordan is to name her (and Dwight's) child Harvey.

Dwight's large wage demands are scuppering a chance of a move - thus delaying our move
for Di Canio.

Paul Rachubka has had his loan move to Oldham extended

We're to play Celtic in a testimonial (unique, eh) this August as a benefit for Fergie
- with all proceeds going to charity. Conisdering we play them every year and with a
gap in testimonials, surely the game would have been arranged whatever.

We're trying to sign Reiziger on loan

We've been watching Hofland again

We're checking on River Plate midfielder Andrs D'Alessandro

George Best is working on writing a novel

The Sunday Mirror investigation into Ned Kelly saw him called a 'parasite' in their
editorial, ending: "Manchester United should act swiftly and ruthlessly'

In their dossier, they alleged that he offered a SM investigator tickets for the sold
out games against Villa and Sunderland for double the price, saying: "Ned can sort it
out"

They allege he offered to sell corporate boxes priced at £3,000 for £5,000, and £24 or
£28 tickets for £50.

They also allege that he called us 'Man U', surely a crime in itself.

They allege that he said Becks 'uses' Brooklyn for publicity, that Posh doesn't speak
to him and he lied that she was having an affair. He is alleged to have said that
Becks will leave.

They suggest he called someone named Bill, who arranged corporate boxes for him at Old
Trafford - who is this Bill we ask?

They also allege that he said hissing at Spurs fans  at an OT game was "funny, it's
just my sense of humour".

Kelly denied it all and said: "I was not ticket touting. I have no comment to make. I
was just helping you (Sunday Mirror investigators) out".

We will bring United's comment as soon as we hear it.

---------------------------------
[2] Weekend News
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by redend:
If you haven't already seen it don't forget to scroll down for the stories from
Saturday & Sunday too.

---------------------------------
[1] Carragher is a football hooligan
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, January 28, 2002 by redend:

Not that we're getting on our high horses like .... OK we are. But you have to milk
these situations the same as the ABU's would (and have i.e. Eric) done in the past.

If you want to let the FA know what you think about Carragher and to make sure they
don't try to sweep it under the carpet then you could email the FA at this address:

 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Should Carragher be treated any different from anyone else who threw a  coin
indiscriminately into a crowd of people? Or will Carragher get away with it because he
is a rich footballer and a valuable financial asset to a Premiership Club?

The fact that Carragher had a coin thrown at him first is as irrelevant in his case as
it would be in any fan's case if they'd done the same and thrown a coin into a crowd
of people after they'd had one thrown at them.

If the police/courts don't come down hard on him and treat him exactly the same as any
supporter then the FA must take their own action. He should be banned from all
football grounds for at least a year.

Arsenal are saying they will ban the culprits for life. That seems OTT to me. But
Carragher should be expected to have a higher standard of behaviour so should get at
least what a supporter would get under the law.

Ask the FA if they're going to make an example of him and make sure he is treated at
least equivalent to what any fan would get?

 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[13] Rotten momentos of a plastic treble
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, January 27, 2002 by tb:
Remember the key rings on sale containing grass fom the first mowing of the Nou Camp
after 26/5/99?

Well the bloke behind it tried the same trick following the Mickies fluke over Alaves,
but guess what?

All the grass went rotten before before he could get the key rings done

YSB

P.S

Apparently Carragher got sent off for un - scouse type behaviour. No bin dipper would
chuck money away that had been given him.

---------------------------------
[12] The end for SPS at Old Trafford?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, January 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
As The Sunday Mirror - buy it, you must read this - has a front page headline of
'United chief is ticket tout'  - alleging that Ned Kelly, SPS top bod, offered exec
boxes and tickets for Utd games which he was touting. A reporter has many of his off
record comments, about the Beckhams, getting tickets and his relationship with others
at United. If proved, these allegations surely mean that SPS CAN NOT be kept as the
security presence at Old Trafford. What happens in the coming days should be very
interesting - we expect and require Utd act immediately. Not just an investigation but
action too on alleged rumours that have been around those 'in the know' for quite some
time. Kelly doesn't come out of it all bad though - he is quoted slagging off Scouse
fans!