RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[26] On the move again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Lee Sharpe training with Grimsby with eye to possible move

---------------------------------
[25] Oh no Rio!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
"This may surprise you but I always used to follow Liverpool as a child. They were
really good when I was young, with players such as Alan Hansen, Ronnie Whelan, Ian
Rush and Bruce Grobbelaar, they were always a tough side to beat. My favourite player
had to be John Barnes. He was absolute quality and could do magic things with the
ball."

---------------------------------
[24] Order the open top bus
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
for city have won a trophy

'FIRST TROPHY FOR CITY
Midfielder, Ali Benarbia lifted the club's first trophy of the season in his  first
outing as City Captain. Kevin Keegan continued where he and the Blues left off last
season, in  trophy winning form in their opening pre season matches. The Blues won the
round robin mini-tournament in which they were competing  in Denmark on Wednesday
evening and Ali Benarbia played the skipper's part  scoring with a header! City were
competing in two matches of forty-five minutes each with Danish  sides FC Aarhus and
Silkeborg. A crowd of over six thousand turned up to  watch the tournament with the
host club Aarhus winning the opening game  against Silkeborg 1-0.'

6,000 - massive turn out wouldn't you say?

---------------------------------
[23] Wenger's got his crystal balls in a tangle
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Wenger says we have overpaid for Rio his crystal ball is up and running but seems to
be lacking in some preseason training.

But we can give him facts - Arse overpaid 100% for Richard Wright - god knows how much
per game

Jeffers (remember him?) two goals -  £8 million for him that at least 800% over the
odds he will go for peanuts eventually

Just a thought

Graham

---------------------------------
[22] Chesterfield happy too
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
John Duncan

"Roy Keane is my all-time favourite midfielder, so I'm over the moon that Sir Alex is
including him."

---------------------------------
[21] Rio to play at Bournemouth
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mel Machin

"United are flying down on a private plane on Saturday morning and Rio will be on
board. He has had only one day's training since his transfer but he will be here.
Although his name was not on the squad sheet they sent down, I phoned Sir Alex to ask
him if he would consider sending Rio here. Rio was in his office at the time and it
was all agreed there and then."

---------------------------------
[20] Arse and Elbow problems
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
By Red News' Portia Vale

It doesn't seem to be a one off problem, there seems to be a huge (massive?) number of
Members who've been e-Chubbed for the West Brom game despite already having the ticket
in their hand.  And there was another problem with the prices for the Boca game
apparently not being reduced if you buy them online.  Tickets to see the games are the
most important thing in a supporter's life and the club can't even get that right.  I
know Red News have asked some serious questions - isn't it about time Karl Evans gave
some answers?

---------------------------------
[19] Fergie on 4-5-1
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The system is nothing, though - it is the application of your players that is the
most important thing. A lot of them were reading the papers too much. Newspapers have
nothing to do with Manchester United. They shouldn’t affect the way we are going about
our job. It doesn’t matter if we play nine centre forwards, if we don’t win we will be
crucified anyway. We have to be single minded about that part of life at United. You
are either front or back page news and players here should be well aware of that. They
have been here long enough to get to know about that. It may have been a new thing for
the likes of Seba but the others should be fully aware of it and not let it bother
them.”

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie defends Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
“The press have got their teeth into Seba Veron. He has to see that that is all it is
and be strong enough to handle it. Which he definitely is. Within the confines of the
club we will continue to assure him and make sure it doesn’t affect him. It is
probably the first time in his life that he has been really criticised. I still can’t
see that he was as bad as some people made out."  It has been a new area for him. But
he is a strong character and I know he will fight back. It can cause problems fitting
people in when you have six excellent players in midfield. But a full season gives you
a feel of what is best for the team. When we operated with three in midfield there is
no doubt we controlled most of the games and our European form was terrific. We are
very hard to beat with three in the central midfield. Our normal way of playing with
4-4-2 and one dropping in is something we will work at."

---------------------------------
[17] More backing for Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
John Barnwell, League Managers' Association

"You'll get head hunted in any walk of life. He had a four-year contract and if Leeds
would have wanted him to stay there he would have stayed there.  The timing of it was
Leeds needing the money, Manchester United needing a defender and Manchester United
having the money and the persuasion of the size of the fee. You put it together and
it's almost inevitable."

---------------------------------
[16] Next big thing
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Is for a player to have 2 agents as Escude does. Here his agents link him with a move
to us

Bruno Satin

"Julien Escude will sign next week for a great English club and it is true that
Manchester United are one of the possibilities"

Axel Lablatiniere

 "United would be Julien's first choice and they are the club which has shown most
interest"

Rennes chairman Pierre Dreossi

 "We will do our best to keep him one more season"

---------------------------------
[15] United challenge Champions league changes
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
4thegame reckons G14 will challenge the scrapping of the 2 stages next season. They
quote a source at United

"Clubs are worried that the lack of games means a loss of revenue. For two more home
games we are talking millions of pounds and that is crucial in the current climate.
The new format also moves away from a European league but the top clubs don't want
that."

---------------------------------
[14] More transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Reviewed by Tony

The Sun link us with hijacking Arsenal target Fabian Carini in a season long  loan
move. They also say that Barthez has 1 more year left on his current deal. I  thought
that he signed a 5 year deal in 2000 thus leaving him with 3 years left on his current
deal.

Planetfootball.com also link us with Brazilian World Cup star Kleberson. His  agent
says that he'll only play for us, Barca or Real Madrid. Can't see that happening.
These agents should be banned

lLanetfootball.com again - linking Ronny Johnsen with a move to Ole's former  club
Molde. Judging by the way Celtic defended last night against Ajax,  Ronny would do a
great job for them. Ajax were quite impressive last night.  Some of their one touch
football was class. Celtic looked poor. Martin  Ferguson was at the game. Chivu
(centre back/left back), Van Der Vaart,  Ibrahimovic and Mido impressed.

Soccernet.com report that the scousers are set to offer £12m plus defender  Djimi
Traore for Damien Duff. Stephen Wright and Patrick Berger could also  be used in a
swap deal.

The Mirror report that the scousers could also sign Brett Emerton from  Feyenoord
after being priced out of a deal for Duff.

More crisis at Chelsea as the mirror report that defeneder William Gallas  has refused
a £1,000 per week pay increase. He has a £7.5m clause in his  contract. Usual suspects
linked the proposed transfer.

Teamtalk - Blomqvist set to make in debut for Boro in the hope of getting a full-tme
deal.

---------------------------------
[13] Another player linked
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Daily Star links us with £4m bid for Rennes defender Julien Escude

---------------------------------
[12] Johnsen offered Norwegian deal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ronny Johnsen has been offered a contract by Norwegian club Molde, and a job when he
finishes his football-career. The offer comes from Moldes "rich uncle", Kjell Inge
Røkke. Johnsen is saying that he keeps all options open, but describes Molde as
"exiting", to Norwegian newspaper VG.

---------------------------------
[11] Champions League results
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Shelbourne FC 0-1 Hibernians FC  (Aggregate 2-3)
KS Dinamo Tirana 0-0 FBK Kaunas (Aggregate 3-2)
Barry Town AFC 0-1 FC Skonto (Aggregate 0-6)
B36 Tórshavn 0-1 FC Torpedo Kutaisi (Aggregate 2-6)
FK Vardar 3-0 F91 Dudelange (Aggregate 4-1)
ÍA Akranes 0-1 NK Zeljeznicar (Aggregate 0-4)
FC Zhenis Astana 3-2 FC Sheriff Tiraspol (Aggregate 4-4; Sheriff win on away goals)
FC Pyunik 2-0 Tampere United FC (Aggregate 6-0)
APOEL Nicosia FC 1-0 FC Flora (Aggregate 1-0)
FC Belshina Bobruisk 3-2 Portadown FC (Aggregate 3-2)

---------------------------------
[10] Wenger would have a fit
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Good.

SUN reckons we're joining their hunt for a loan deal for Uruguayan keeper Fabian Carini

---------------------------------
[9] Red News deadline
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
the first RN deadline of the season approaches - if you have any
articles/graphics/letters/ideas then the deadline for the 1st issue of the new season
is Thursday August 1st

Usual e.mail addy [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[8] Settling in
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Rio joined his new team for the first proper days training yesterday - Becks with his
new blonde long streaks - and our New Assistant Manager taking charge. Rio looked like
he's been there years.

---------------------------------
[7] More Rio praise from Gary Nev
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Having watched Rio in the Premier League for the last few years we know he can handle
the Premier League.  He will settle in straight away because he is a big-time player,
there's no doubt about that.  He's just 23 and he fits the bill perfectly for what you
think a Manchester United centre-back should be.  He's tall, strong, good in the air,
aggressive, trains well, works hard and he just seems to cover everything everywhere.
I think it's fantastic that we've bought not just a great centre-half, but someone who
is English as well. It's always better that way and you need a base of English players
or British players. We've been lucky over the last 10 years that we have had that.
This carries that on and we have some really good young players like John O'Shea, Wes
Brown and Rio so we're looking pretty safe for the next few years in defence."

card payment, ordering online from wherever you live in the world, getting the mag to
your door.

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to a UK address click on

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to an address in the rest of the world click on

And those philanthropists out there can help with our costs by making an online
donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit helps with the
costs of the site - thanks. click on.

---------------------------------
[5] Blackburn hopeful on Duff
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Spokesman

"We're still in talks with him and his agent over a new improved deal that will keep
him at Ewood Park.  We want him in a blue and white shirt next season and we're not
miles apart."

---------------------------------
[4] Red News summer offer
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
Red News published 9 issues last season, of which we have limited stocks of 8 still
available. As a special offer you can purchase ALL eight issues together with a FREE
copy of Red News' book celebrating the Nou Camp triumph in 1999 - European Glory - all
for the bargain price of just £13.50 including postage and packing. This is a must
have offer so go on!

8 issues + book for £13.50 inc p&p in the UK

8 issues + book for £16 inc p&p in Europe and rest of the world.

Send your order by cheque, made payable to Red News, to Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG or you can now order by credit card. click on

---------------------------------
[3] Quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
West Brom and ex United player Michael Appleton  on Rio

"He's earning more in a week than the whole Albion team earns in seven days. He woke
up yesterday morning a very rich man and good luck to him. In any  case I'm well
chuffed because I'm a Manchester United fan."

---------------------------------
[2] Arsenal's ground worry
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Mail

'It has all the ingredients of a legendary giant-killing. On one side are two
pensioners from Islington. On the other are the aristocrats of football -
Double-winners Arsenal, who possess some of the world's best players in Dennis
Bergkamp, Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira.   At stake is a new 60,000-seat stadium
that would put Arsenal on a financial par with Manchester United, whose Old Trafford
ground can hold 67,600. But tomorrow Elizabeth Clare, a retired nursery nurse, and Ted
Bedford, whose tower block flat would overlook Arsenal's new Ashburton Grove ground,
launch a High Court bid to have the plans thrown out.  'Our human rights have not been
taken into account,' complained Ms Clare, 63. 'Planning permission may have been given
by the council, but not by us.'  A decision on the legal challenge is unlikely until
September, threatening the stadium opening in August 2004 and at least £10million a
year of extra revenue through the turnstiles. '

---------------------------------
[1] Order the Keane book
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2002 by bar-knee:
The truth - from the lips of the Captain himself.

THE KEANO BOOK is set for publication on 30th August but you can pre-order it now at a
20% discount. Click  http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542 HERE for more info.

   http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

Authors: Roy Keane, Eamonn Dunphy.
 List Price: £17.99
 RN/Amazon Price: £14.39
 You Save: £3.60 (20%)

Synopsis

Roy Keane, captain of Manchester United and the Irish national team, was born in Cork
in 1971. He signed for Manchester United from Nottingham Forest in 1993. In 2000 he
was awarded the PFA Player of the Year 2000. His footballing intelligence and fierce
determination helped Ireland to qualify for the 2002 World Cup. But his passion has
sometimes given rise to the wrong kind of headlines. His commitment to winning has led
to violent confrontation on the pitch and controversy off it. Hardcover - 256 pages
(30 August, 2002) Michael Joseph; ISBN: 0718145542

---------------------------------
[38] Rio beats Sol
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
To shut up Wenger?

Opta stats

2001/02 Premiership
Rio Ferdinand Sol Campbell
 31 Appearances (+ Subs) 29 (+ 2)
2790 Minutes on Pitch 2623
83 Tackles Attempted 51
80 Tackle Success Rate % 76
402 Total Clearances 339
24 Interceptions 11
30 Shots Blocked 19
0 Goals Scored 2

---------------------------------
[37] When is a Chubbing not a Chubbing, part 2
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
It's spreading!

This just in

'Same happened to me. Got two tickets to WBA game, then got an e-mail last  night
saying I have been rejected for tickets. So it appears the tickets office don't even
know who they have given tickets  to and who they haven't! This does not inspire
confidence about how well  ticketing arrangements are going to be managed over the
forthcoming season.

Regards
Andy'

---------------------------------
[36] And 50,000 people will be able to say
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
I WAS THERE

For the first time in a while I popped the European Cup Final tape on. Tears well up,
the memories flood back. Mental.

---------------------------------
[35] Blackburn cooling on Yorke
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Blackburn chief executive

"There is no change in the Yorke situation. We would like it to be sorted out as
quickly as possible one way or another. We are still talking to Manchester United and
they have been helpful in our negotiations but there is still clear water between the
two clubs. Even before Matt Jansen's injury and the return of Ciccio Grabbi to the
club we were looking at bringing in another front-running striker. We have several
irons in the fire should the Yorke deal unfortunately not go through. We have transfer
windows for the first time and we don't want to be caught out. If the Yorke deal does
not come off then we have got to look at other areas."

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.