RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[16] United deny Veron injury
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Paddy Haverson said:

"Juan Sebastian Veron is in the squad to play Bournemouth and it is highly unlikely
that we would risk him if he were facing an operation. There has been no talk at
Manchester United of Seba facing an operation."

---------------------------------
[15] Keane - only play for Ireland with new boss
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Hopefully I might get back to playing for the Irish team again - but I will only go
back if there is a new manager - and that is out of my hands. The reception I got when
I went back to Ireland last week with Manchester United was fantastic. I never had a
problem with going back. In fact, I was looking forward to it, but it was quite moving
all the same. I think the fans can see through a lot of things and through people. And
I think things have been found out now and they know where I have been coming from.
The reception I got made me realise how important going back there and playing for
Ireland is. I know there are a lot of Manchester United supporters there but, in
general, the Irish fans have given me a lot of support. No-one was more disappointed
than me about what happened at the World Cup, but life moves on and I hope the Irish
team moves on."

---------------------------------
[14] Transfer latest
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Tony

Acording to the star seba is  due to be out for 3 months with an achilles op. United
deny he's injured. The Guardian say that Crespo/Seba  swap is on the cards - papers eh
- they wreck our heads

Escude's club, Rennes, want him to stay at the club - planetfootball.com

One fact about Escude - he's a brother of Pro.tennis player, Nicolas Escude

The Sun make a big song and dance over our clash with Blackburn on Dec 21st,  calling
it Dwight's chance for revenge. Dwight blew his chance at United.  What a waste of
talent! Thanks for the memories of '99. Now hit the road. Wonder what kind of reaction
Dwight will get when he returns to OT?

---------------------------------
[13] Thing is, we'd never want you
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Dominic Matteo

"No, I would not be tempted (to join United)! Obviously after playing for Liverpool
and Leeds, it would be a bad move to go to Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[12] Yorke could have joined Villa though
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Graham Taylor

"If the truth be known, Dwight would have walked back to Birmingham to play for me.
From the point of view of what Dwight went on to achieve after he came to Villa, he
has to be one of my best signings. I could have signed him from United and I know he
would have walked back here to play for me.  I thought about it long and hard. But I
could not convince myself it would have been in Dwight's best interests or the club's.
He's not the 16-year-old boy I brought to Villa. He's now a 30-year-old man at a
different stage of his career and with a totally different outlook on life. I'll never
forget how my heart missed a beat in Tobago watching him for the first time.

But deep down I just felt it probably wasn't the right thing for either of us and I'm
sure he has made the right move in linking up again with his big mate Andy Cole.
People say things about Dwight but I will never hear a bad word said about him.  I was
at home a couple of hours before Manchester United played Bayern Munich in the 1999
European Cup final when my phone rang. It was Dwight, just before he left the hotel to
get on the team bus. He said he just wanted to thank me for everything I had done for
him before he went off to play in probably the biggest game of his life. I can't think
of many footballers who would have found the time - or taken the trouble - before such
an important occasion to make a phone call like that. It was a tear-jerker."

---------------------------------
[11] Blackburn praise for Yorke
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Sourness

"I liken Dwight to Kenny Dalglish because he has the ability to bring other players
into the game.  He's not just a goalscorer, he is much more than that. I have been
after him for some time - it isn't long ago that Dwight's partnership with Andy Cole
was reckoned to be the best in Europe. I believe the pair of them still have the best
years ahead of them as well."

chief executive John Williams

"Dwight has been our first-choice target since before the end of last season.  Our
valuations were too far apart but things have moved on and we've got the deal done -
and a very good one at that."

---------------------------------
[10] Becks likes his Adidas
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Guardian

'Commonwealth Games organisers last night denied a rift with David Beckham despite the
England captain's blatant plug for Adidas at the multi-million pound opening ceremony.

A British TV audience of nine million saw the fashion icon play a key role in the
show, wearing a white tracksuit emblazoned with his German kit sponsors' name.

Organisers said they had been given no warning of Beckham's choice of clothing. But
they said the Manchester United player had broken no rules even though a strict
no-logo rule is in place for competitors.

Games spokesman Jackie Brock-Doyle said: "We weren't aware he would have the logo
across his chest but we would have been delighted for him to come on half-naked
without the top. David's actions did not conflict with the agreement we have with any
of our sponsors."

An Adidas spokesman said: "We weren't aware David would be wearing the tracksuit. He
came to us some time ago asking for the specially commissioned design, but we didn't
know when or where he would be wearing it."

Maintaining United's games connection yesterday were New Zealand's rugby sevens side.
Their coach Gordon Tietjens said his team had jumped at the chance to interrupt their
title-defence preparations to visit Carrington to see how United trained. Tietjens
said: "I was very impressed and I managed to have a good yak to Sir Alex Ferguson
about their training regimes."

---------------------------------
[9] More Veron gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Guardian

'Dwight Yorke moved to Blackburn Rovers yesterday for a cut-price £2m but his
departure may herald a more dramatic development at Old Trafford. Reports from Italy
suggest Lazio are testing the water for a potential swap involving Juan Sebastian
Veron and Hernan Crespo.

Lazio are interested because such a trade would involve United writing off the debt of
£10.5m owed to them from last season for the £16.5m sale of Jaap Stam.

United, having freed up £40,000-a-week in wages by selling Yorke, could afford the
salary of Crespo, Lazio's Argentinian World Cup striker, if they were also to send
back Veron. Crespo, a one-time world record signing when Lazio bought him from Parma
for £35.7m, is believed to be on around £80,000 a week.

Lazio's spokesman Guido Paglia said yesterday: "It is very possible a deal will be
done with Manchester. President [Sergio] Cragnotti likes Veron very much and he will
always be popular with our supporters. We would like him back. But we must wait until
August before initiating moves.

"If Manchester contact us before then with a proposition to sell Crespo, we will start
discussions. But we are waiting for news from Veron's agent, Gustavo Mascardi." United
refused to comment.'

---------------------------------
[8] More Escude gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Manchester United are interested, and I am not insensitive to their approaches. I
have had contact with Alex Ferguson, we have discussed things. I think Mr Ferguson is
already thinking about the next campaign, that is why he wanted to see me. I have
spoken about my possible departure with the Rennes management. I have experienced
three great years at Rennes but I am ambitious and I want to keep progressing, play in
the Champions League and win titles."

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie on his new Number Two
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
on Carlos Queiroz

“I said to Carlos when he arrived the same as I said to Steve McClaren when he came as
my right hand man in 1999, and that is that these players love a challenge. They
really do. They are very good professionals and we have a good culture here and they
respond to challenges. I needed someone to do that and Carlos will. You need to get
someone in who is suited to Manchester United and in Carlos we found someone.
Basically it was important to get someone whose philosophy was suited to Manchester
United, and Carlos has it. We have and need players who have the temperament to play
on the big stage all the time - players who have the desire to win every match. And we
always have players who want the ball and pass. Carlos believes in that type of
player. That was the culture in Portugal, where he spent many years coaching. He was
responsible for bringing Luis Figo and Rui Costa through as kids to under-21 level. He
understands what good players are. He knows how to handle and work !
with them, good players, which is what we need, because quite a lot of coaches can be
intimidated by big names.”

card payment, ordering online from wherever you live in the world, getting the mag to
your door.

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to a UK address click on

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to an address in the rest of the world click on

And those philanthropists out there can help with our costs by making an online
donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit helps with the
costs of the site - thanks. click on.

---------------------------------
[5] Arse grab keeper
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Uruguayan international goalkeeper Fabian Carini joins Arsenal on year loan

---------------------------------
[4] More from Ronny Johnsen on Molde offer
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The contact has been made and Molde are exciting. They've got a new stadium and they
are fighting at the top of the league."

---------------------------------
[3] Red News summer offer
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Red News published 9 issues last season, of which we have limited stocks of 8 still
available. As a special offer you can purchase ALL eight issues together with a FREE
copy of Red News' book celebrating the Nou Camp triumph in 1999 - European Glory - all
for the bargain price of just £13.50 including postage and packing. This is a must
have offer so go on!

8 issues + book for £13.50 inc p&p in the UK

8 issues + book for £16 inc p&p in Europe and rest of the world.

Send your order by cheque, made payable to Red News, to Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG or you can now order by credit card. click on

---------------------------------
[2] Best Number Nine
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Reading the story on the BBC about no new No 9 (
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2152887.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2152887.stm) and thought so
who was the best?
                    Games/Goals
1. Andrew Cole          1.9
2. Stuart Pearson       2.7
3. Joe Jordan           2.9
   Mark Hughes          2.9
5. Bobby Charlton       3
6. Frank Stapleton      3.7
   Brian McClair        3.7
8. Lou Macari           4.3

Poor old much maligned Andrew!

Cheers
David

---------------------------------
[1] Euro home date
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Is apparently set for Wednesday 28th, still no confirmation of the away leg.

[34] Wait for the dates
Posted Friday, July 26, 2002 by bar-knee:
United have just told Red News that the dates for the European qualifier won't be
confirmed until next week.

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.