RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[33] More Best good news
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Consultant physician Professor Roger Williams

"We are taking it day by day, but he's doing incredibly well"

---------------------------------
[32] Fergie - Ole will get his chance
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"I am sure that Ole Gunnar will play more than he did last season. He is an important
player and important for the team. After all, there has never been any doubt about his
abilities"

---------------------------------
[31] More Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"I have had a long summer to stew on what happened last season and just want to get on
with the job in hand. I should be at my peak now. I am 28, have a lot of experience in
the game and still retain my pace. When there is a setback at United, there is always
a new and stronger desire to make up for it.  Arsenal finished above us last season
and deserved their title. But we made mistakes. We still believe that if we play to
our best, we are the top team in the country.  Unfortunately, we didn't do that enough
in 2001-02. We have everything we need to win the title. I feel that if ourselves,
Arsenal and Liverpool all play to our very best, we will come out the winners. We
stood still while Arsenal and Liverpool got better and that's why they finished ahead
of us. They could even get better again this season, so we are going to have to step
it up."

---------------------------------
[30] Schmeichel out for 6 weeks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Kev Keegan

"Obviously you want all of your best players fit for the start of the season, but it
could be a lot worse with Peter.  It was a nothing incident that led to him getting
injured, but these things happen and we will just let him recover."

---------------------------------
[29] Giggs quotes in full
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"There's always renewed determination when a team suffers a setback. When you're
winning like we have been, you want to stay at the top. And when you don't, you're
even more desperate to get back there. Last year Arsenal were above us, there was no
doubting that. We know how important it is for us to get back to winning ways this
season. And we've got everything. We have the quality, we know we have the hunger,
it's just a case of proving it. And I think we will. Even though we're still in
pre-season, our confidence is high. We know if we had performed last season we would
have won the title. But we didn't and Arsenal, credit to them, deserved to win it.
They deserved to win the FA Cup, too, but we're determined to reclaim the prizes. The
talent we've got here is great. We look to improve every season and we've done that
again with Rio Ferdinand, who was a major signing for us.

Losing six games at home was terrible. We need to make sure we improve on that. A lot
of mistakes were made in that spell before Christmas when we let stupid goals in. I
think the fear factor is still there for other teams when they come to United. But we
have to make sure we reinforce it, which we failed to do last season. Teams still come
to Old Trafford expecting to get beaten. But we ended up failing to deliver."

"I've said before when you don't win things it's a long summer and this one was no
exception. It was difficult, but you have to accept it and focus on getting back to
business next season."

"I've got to stay fit to do that and I've managed to get on top of it in the last
couple of seasons, especially the last. I hardly missed a game after Christmas so I
just have to keep that going. Obviously I've got the experience. If you've still got
the ability, the experience makes you a better player than when you were younger. I
think they say 28, 29 is your peak, you've just got to go out there and do it. With
Dwight Yorke having gone, we're a lot shorter than in previous years. We've always had
four strikers but I've said before that I enjoy playing up there and I'm happy to do
so."

Could even get back to 1 - 11 shirt numbers.
Be nice if they threw in a free 80/81 ish ball - white with the red stripey doodar
Pickin' up me boots ...goin' back to my roots

"they're all pensioners from Wigan"

---------------------------------
[27] BBC1 bag both Euro games
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
BBC1 to show live both our European qualifying games, starting with the first leg away
to either Zagreb (Croatia) or Zalaegerszegi (Hungary) on Wednesday, 14 August with
kick-off at 1945 BST.

BBC's Director of Sports Rights and Finance, Dominic Coles, said: "Following the drama
and the excitement of the World Cup, Manchester United's games will be an early chance
to see some of England's World Cup heroes back on the pitch before the football season
gets into full swing."

---------------------------------
[26] More Crespo talk
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Corriere dello Sport also say we're after him and that Lazio still oweus£10 million
from Jaap Stam's transfer last year and that the  players' representatives left Spain
last night for England to meet with United officials.

---------------------------------
[25] Squad numbers in full
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
1       Fabien Barthez
13      Roy Carroll

DEFENDERS
2       Gary Neville
3       Phillip Neville
5       Laurent Blanc
6       Rio Ferdinand
14      David May
24      Wes Brown
27      Mikael Silvestre
28      Kirk Hilton
30      John O'Shea

MIDFIELD
4       Juan Veron
7       David Beckham
8       Nicky Butt
15      Luke Chadwick
16      Roy Keane
17      Michael Stewart
18      Paul Scholes
23      Bojan Djordjic
25      Quinton Fortune
31      Darren Fletcher
34      Lee Roche

FORWARDS
10      Ruud Van Nistelrooy
11      Ryan Giggs
20      Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
21      Diego Forlan
36      Jimmy Davis
37      Danny Webber
40      Daniel Nardiello

---------------------------------
[24] Keane gets stick
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Valerenga's Tobias Grahn

"Keane is starting to get a little old and stubborn, and I was allowed to get in a few
times and play man-to-man. Then I get to show my skills. Still, it was a long way from
being one of the best games of my career."

---------------------------------
[23] Wes Brown on Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"It's a huge signing for us. He's proved to everyone over the years how much of a
great player he is and he topped that off with the World Cup where he put in a
magnificent performance throughout the tournament. Rio is the best centre-half in the
world - and he'll get even better. That's why the gaffer went in for him, that's why
we've bought him. He was unbelievable in the World Cup and anyone who had any doubts
about him was proved wrong. He's strong, fast, he's good in the air and he's a good
reader of the game. People say it's a lot of money but he's only 23 and has got many
years in him. He's pretty much the defender you dream about having. Rio has got real
leadership qualities and he's shown that in the few days we've had together."

---------------------------------
[22] Cromwell statement on Bestie
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"Mr Best remains stable and is moving out of intensive care this morning to the liver
ward. He is continuing to make good progress, he is talking and smiling and has
expressed his thanks to everyone for sending all their get well messages and best
wishes."

---------------------------------
[21] Giggs admits to being short in attack
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"We're a lot shorter than in previous years. We've always had four strikers but I've
said before that I enjoy playing up there and I'm happy to do so."

---------------------------------
[20] Ruud shin latest
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Definitely out of the game tomorrow...being "rested" as a precaution

---------------------------------
[19] George Best video biography
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by redend:
Just added this to our list of United videos. The full list is
http://www.rednews.co.uk/unitedvideos.php here.

   http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000057131
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news
   2 VIDEO  http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000057131  George
Best - Best Intentions

 The definitive biography covering George Best's life from his humble beginnings in
Belfast, through his meteoric rise to fame. A true to life, stark portrayal of the
footballing legend's life and times. ....

 VIDEO Price: £ 10.99
 (approx. price check latest price
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000057131 here)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000057131 CLICK HERE FOR MORE
INFO

---------------------------------
[18] Bradford survives
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by Stalker:
Lucky if you are in England

Bradford City will continue as a professional football club after creditors voted to
accept the Creditors' Voluntary Agreement (CVA) at a meeting today.

---------------------------------
[17] Serie A giant in freefall
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by Stalker:
One of the super 7 clubs in Italy is on its last legs

Italian side Fiorentina have been declared bankrupt. This would normally see them
relegated to the Italian amateur league, but due to their history of being a past
winner of serie A, the Italian FA will try to place them in serie C1.

---------------------------------
[16] Striker rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by Stalker:
According to the star, we are after Lazio's Crespo or Lopez.

---------------------------------
[15] Cantona's Cup - Shurely Shome Mishtake
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by redend:
This can't be right can it? This video is marked at £2.99 - must be a mistake? Whether
that or its the last few in stock. Either way this will probably only be on offer at
this price for a short period. Don't say we never give you nuffin.

   http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000040190
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news
   1 VIDEO  http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000040190
Cantona's Cup (1996)

 The complete story of how Frenchman Eric Cantona dominated the 1995/96 FA Cup
tournament, and then scored the only goal in the dying minutes of the Final. ....

 VIDEO Price: £ 2.99
 (approx. price check latest price
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000040190 here)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000040190 CLICK HERE FOR MORE
INFO

---------------------------------
[14] Best: Latest
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by redend:
George is out of intensive care ... and has just been moved onto the "liver ward" this
morning.

---------------------------------
[13] NEW: Manchester United - Ten Glorious Years
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by redend:
New video - this one has RN's 'Old Fart' wetting his pants in anticipation apparently
- 'The Premiership Years through the eyes of Alex Ferguson'.

Its not out until 19th August 2002 but you can pre-order it now
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000071677 HERE and have it
delivered to your door immediately after publication o.n.o. .... and you geta quid off
too.

   http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000071677
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news
   1 VIDEO  http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000071677
Manchester United - Ten Glorious Years

 The Premiership Years - Through the eyes of Sir Alex Ferguson ....

 VIDEO Price: £ 10.99
SAVE: £1.00

 (approx. price check latest price
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000071677 here)
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/rednews/video/item/7000000071677 CLICK HERE FOR MORE
INFO

---------------------------------
[12] More on Best
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Consultant surgeon Nigel Heaton

"The first two or three days after the operation are absolutely vital. If the liver is
working well then we can give the necessary drugs. By 10 o'clock on Monday we had sent
a team out to look at it, and at two in the morning we had a phone call to say it was
suitable. The pathologist said it looked fine at 3am, and about 6am George was called
in."

Prof Williams

"He has found the implant treatment that he has had a great help over the last year,
and when the transplant was discussed, it was his desire to continue with that
treatment after the transplant, and I hope he will do that, because clearly that's
very important. We want him to stay on the wagon, I think he wants to do it, he
certainly wants to do it himself."

---------------------------------
[11] Bestie doing well
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Professor Roger Williams speaking last night

"I've just seen him and he's in excellent form. He's improved even more since this
morning. He recognised me and said hello. He will probably stay in intensive care
tonight and move to a liver ward tomorrow. We are taking it day by day, but he's doing
incredibly well."

---------------------------------
[10] New kit released today
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
>From the SUN

'RIO FERDINAND will outstrip even David Beckham when Manchester United's new kit is
launched today.

More than 14,500 shirts bearing Ferdinand's name have been ordered - around 3,000 more
than those set aside for Golden Balls at the Old Trafford store.

United expect first day sales of 100,000-plus nationwide as fans snap up the new gear,
which is based on the Brazilian World Cup style.

Beckham is usually the No1 seller but £29.1million Ferdinand will steal the show.

A United store spokesman said: "The demand for tops with Rio's name on has just been
incredible. It has taken everyone by surprise just how popular he is."

---------------------------------
[9] Giggs raring to go
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
"The only problem for me has been the injuries. But I think we are on top of those
now. "If I can steer clear of any more problems, I should be looking forward to my
best years. The quality is definitely there in the squad, particularly now we have
added Rio. But what we have to do now is go out and prove it. We had a terrible spell
of home form, when we were making stupid mistakes. That certainly has to improve. We
have to get back our form of previous seasons, when we were unbeatable at home."

---------------------------------
[8] Giggs excited
---------------------------------
[...]

[7] Saturday 3pm campaign
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Might not come into play if the story on Radio Five Live last night is true that after
another winning race by Rock of Gibraltar (odds 8-13), he soon heads to the Breeders'
Cup race in Chicago on October 26, the day we play Villa at home. 5Live said Fergie
was seeing if TV will screen the game on a different day so he can go to the race -
surely not?

The horse willalso  try to break the record for consecutive victories in Group 1 races
at Ascot on September 28 when we play  Charlton.

Fergie when asked about being at either race joked

 "Maybe I'll make up a couple of sickies. After 28 years, I must be due! Days like
this are occasions I can't miss. It was Rock's pure class which won him the race. It
was his best performance yet but I would have been happy just to have finished second
to Mill Reef's record."

card payment, ordering online from wherever you live in the world, getting the mag to
your door.

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to a UK address click on

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to an address in the rest of the world click on

And those philanthropists out there can help with our costs by making an online
donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit helps with the
costs of the site - thanks. click on.

---------------------------------
[5] Order the Keano book
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
The truth - from the lips of the Captain himself.

THE KEANO BOOK is set for publication on 30th August but you can pre-order it now at a
20% discount. Click  http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542 HERE for more info.

   http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0718145542
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

Authors: Roy Keane, Eamonn Dunphy.
 List Price: £17.99
 RN/Amazon Price: £14.39
 You Save: £3.60 (20%)

Synopsis

Roy Keane, captain of Manchester United and the Irish national team, was born in Cork
in 1971. He signed for Manchester United from Nottingham Forest in 1993. In 2000 he
was awarded the PFA Player of the Year 2000. His footballing intelligence and fierce
determination helped Ireland to qualify for the 2002 World Cup. But his passion has
sometimes given rise to the wrong kind of headlines. His commitment to winning has led
to violent confrontation on the pitch and controversy off it. Hardcover - 256 pages
(30 August, 2002) Michael Joseph; ISBN: 0718145542

---------------------------------
[4] No Johnsen bid
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
>From Wimbledon

Wimbledon manager Stuart Murdoch

"There is absolutely no truth in that at all. Ronny Johnsen has been linked with Molde
in Norway and their people know our people, which is where this must have come from."

---------------------------------
[3] 1-0 to the Hungarians
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Zalaegerszeg    1-0 Zagreb

all to play for next week and us none the wiser about where we're headed - add to that
it is the Hungarian grand prix the week after we could be in Budapest. Always an event
when we're in town in more ways than one

Sparta Praha    3-0 Torp. Kutaisi
Zilina  1-1 Basel
Skonto  0-0 Levski
Dyn. Kyiv       4-0 Pyunik
Lillestrøm      0-1 Zeljeznicar
Hammarby        1-1 Partizan
Macc. Haifa     4-0 Belshina
Vardar  1-3 Legia
Club Brugge     3-1 Din. Bucuresti
Maribor APOEL 2-1 Nicosia FC
Brøndby -0 Din. Tirana  1
Sheriff 1-4 Grazer

Boavista        4-0 Hibernians

---------------------------------
[2] Massively empty stadium?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Just listening to 5 Live last night and caught some comments on the closing events of
the Commonwealth Games and the presenter was saying what a great event it had been and
what a pity that no more athletics will be held ther, he then went on to say 'can you
imagine in a few years time people will be saying 'do you remember that marvelous
athletics event held at that stadium,'? when Manchester City are in Division 3 of the
Nationwide league.'?

---------------------------------
[1] Over to you United
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2002 by db:
Below is a letter we received yesterday, in it a Red of 40 years details how his
season ticket has been taken away from him and will not be allocated to him in the
future because he gave his season ticket to a mate to use when he was away. In
hindsight everyone may say that the people should not have gone to the ticket office
to get the seats changed (see below) but do United not realise that a lot - a hell of
a lot - of good decent Reds if they are unable to attend games pass on their book to a
family member or friend. We want and comment United taking action against touts who
use books in made up names - but there is a difference between decent honest Reds who
give a book to a mate and then see Big Brother come down on them. The Reds season
ticket was withdrawn to him in a letter from the club that consisted of just 7 lines,
and Karl Evans who made the decision, despite efforts from the Red, has not spoken to
him.

We urge United to look into this matter and pass on the details to IMUSA...

Dear Red News

A story for you and a lesson to all football supporters of all clubs.

I was a season ticket holder at MUFC and like many supporters of different clubs could
not attend every game due to work commitments, holidays, sickness and family
engagements. On the occasions I could not attend, like many other supporters and
season ticket holders, family and friends would take the opportunity to watch a game
at Old Trafford with no money exchanging hands.

I spend a lot of my working time at different locations in Europe and the UK and
leading up to the Arsenal home game was aware that I would not be in the UK to attend.

A friend of mine who normally took my ticket while I was away agreed to go to the
game. She was fortunate that on this particular occasion she had plenty of notice that
as well as me, 2 other season ticket holders - friends - could also not make the game.

A long standing request from an Irish friend could now be fulfilled - the 3 Irish
people who had never been to Old Trafford before could now take in the game that would
decide the Championship.

The irish party duly arrived in Manchester and arranged to collect the tickets which
unknown to them at the time were for 3 different seats in different parts of the
ground. The party consisted of 2 men and a boy, one of the men was a priest obviously
concerned that the boy would be on his own in such a vast stadium decided to approach
the Ticket Office. His request was could all 3 of them be seatef together. The Ticket
Office after some exchanged of views eventually obliged but also confiscated the 3
season tickets.'

(attatched is a letter from United saying that 'a season ticket allocated to you has
been sold on to supporters in Ireland and whether this was for one game or all season
it is in breach of the terms and conditions of ownership of the book. Could I also
point out that your actions could result in public disorder if the books were to be
used by away supporters. I, therefore, write to inform you that the book is now the
property of Manchester United and will not be allocated to you in the future')

The Red continues in his letter to us

'The author of the letter, Mr K D Evans as I expected was never available to discuss
or comment on his letter so I wrote to him but never received any form of written
explanation only a phone call on a Friday afternoon at 4pm from his assistant to tell
me that Mr Evans was on holiday and that his decision was irrersible - what shabby
treatment.

Imagine Bobby Charlton or other high ranking personnel being put in the same position,
the big brush would appear and the carpet would be raised.

To rub salt into the wound my cheque for renewing the season ticket was returned to me
at my old address with a compliments slip attatched!'

James Harper 9.7.02

---------------------------------
[31] Rio - Oh no
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by redend:
RN contributor 'BDS' was in London Heathrow airport this morning waiting for a flight
to Manchester. In the queue for the next gate - flight to Leeds-Bradford airport were
the remnamts of the Sheep squad returning from a match in the Far East or somewhere.

BDS could not resist a small dig and went up to Michael 'Start the car' Duberry and
said "Rio, can I have your autograph. Oh hang on , your not Rio, I forgot Rio's left
you lot now hasn't he.'

A purple faced Bowyer glared as the passengers for the Manchester flight laughed their
bollocks off.

---------------------------------
[30] Info on our possible Euro opponents
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
Sorry for referring to last week's subjects, but I was on holiday
recently, and as a Hungarian Red I thought I can give you some background information
regarding the possible Hungarian Champions League opponent.

Zalaegerszeg is a town in SW Hungary with 60,000 inhabitants and it is some 20 miles
from the Croatian border and is only about 100 miles away from our other possible
opponent, NK Zagreb.

The colour of Zalaegerszegi TE (ZTE) is blue-white and they won the first Hungarian
championship title in their history last season. Based on these, I read someone
calling ZTE the siddy of Hungary, but as it was rightly said, the living standard is
definitely higher in Hungary than in Moss Side. However
I don't like to see Hungary and the bitters together in the same sentence.

ZTE's so-called stadium is such a crap, that according to the seating rules of UEFA,
they can not play on their own turf. They will play all their European games in
Budapest, in the stadium of Ferencvaros, which is a 17,000 all-seater. The two teams
(ZTE and Ferencvaros) have a traditionally good relationship which applies to the fans
as well. This is no good news, because
Ferencvaros supporters are a violent bunch of w*nkers, who would welcome the challenge
of 'meeting English hoolies'.
I've even heard rumours that depending on the interest, the game would be moved to
Nepstadion, which is the national stadium of Hungary with a 60,000 capacity (better
away allocation).

And despite some suggestions, ZTE does not have 10 players with the same surname, i.e.
Laszlo.
For your information: Hungarians use their names in the order of 1.surname
2.first name. So what is true is that ZTE has plenty of players with the same first
name, which is the Hungarian equivalent of Leslie. Nevermind it's strange in itself.
Imagine half of United's squad with the first name: Ruud.

Nevertheless I am 100% sure that Zalaegerszeg can not beat Zagreb. If the impossible
happens, and if there's a need I can come back later with some more useful information
about Hungary (prices, pubs, accommodation, transport, supporters' behaviour, cops
etc.). Especially to those too young to remember or being present on the last away
fixture in Hungary back in 1993. The day I became a real Red.

See you at the Dam!

Csaba
Hungary

---------------------------------
[29] Send your best wishes to Bestie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
 http://www.cromwell-hospital.co.uk/htmlpages/inpatientcontact.asp
http://www.cromwell-hospital.co.uk/htmlpages/inpatientcontact.asp

this link takes you directly to the cromwell hospital email service rather than
through the corporate pages to send messages to George Best.

---------------------------------
[27] More from the surgeon
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
Nigel Heaton

"Mr Best is comfortable, and recognising family and staff and will remain in the
intensive care ward for the rest of the day. It took longer than normal. This
operation usually takes around five to six hours but it took around eight hours. Liver
transplantation can be quite difficult."

---------------------------------
[26] Bestie's agent
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
Phil Hughes

"He was absolutely fine, much braver than I would be - I was a bag of nerves. It was
done through the NHS. He chose not to go private and jump the queue and that's why he
waited so long. He wasn't getting any worse but he wasn't getting any better either.
This is very good news but there is still a worrying wait ahead."

---------------------------------
[25] What we forgot to mention
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
Was Keane's delight after Forlan's pass for him to score the winner. He gave him a
good patting and then said a few things in his ear, smiling and something along the
lines of "great pass...well done".

---------------------------------
[24] The mighty fall
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
Gillingham boss Andy Hessenthaler

"I was asked whether Andrei Kanchelskis could train with us, but I didn't agree to it
because there was no point, as there would be nothing for him here. It just shows the
type of player who is currently out of work. Names have come up of good players who
can't get clubs. It's not a good situation, but that is the way the game is at the
moment."

---------------------------------
[23] As we have said
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
We doubt there will be a Diff bid - or any other that matter over £10m as has been
hinted to us by the club. If we did any new signing will be for less, much?, than £10m
- Di Canio? Possibly, maybe, but then again...

---------------------------------
[22] No Duff bid
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by Stalker:
Cuddly Pete denies Duff bid

A story from London's Evening Standard reports that Damien Duff is the subject of a
bid from us, and a deal could be completed by the weekend.However this has been
dismissed by cuddly Pete who told Planetfootball "there is absolutely no truth in
this, the reports are wrong "

[21] Euro date confirmed
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2002 by bar-knee:
Simon Davies, editor of the official site, has very kindly got in touch with us and
confirmed that the away game, as they said in their story, is definitely the 14th
August.

[20] Bestie's well wishers