yeah, I saw those, as hesitant as I am to replace parts that have some small
possibility of not being bad, I'm more hesitant to buy used ones that I
don't see tested before my eyes first. Call me crazy.

-Kyle

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ebay  220287087229
>
>
> On 9/27/08, Kyle Munz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Don't worry, my contempt for satan, err, the dealership is directed mostly
>> towards the 300% markup parts counter guys. The fact that they will come
>> down drastically in price so easily when pitted against eachother shows that
>> they're ridiculously marked up. Yeah, we had the tester hooked up to both
>> leads. They ran fine at first, but after running for a while they started to
>> fail. At different intervals ofcourse as one was in worse shape than the
>> other. I too am hesistant to replace parts without making sure that's the
>> part that is bad, I'm also hesitant to break down on a houston freeway
>> during rushhour again. And then there's the ants...
>>
>> -Kyle
>> -Ormiga!
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Dennis Hammerl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>>
>>>   yeah, I have one of those testers. Did you check the plug cap
>>> resistance? They should be 5~10 meg each. If you examined the schematic for
>>> the bike you will see that the output side of the coils is actually a loop.
>>> In effect, one plug fires from the center electrode and the other from the
>>> ground strap. Both at the same time. One fires on an exhaust stroke while
>>> the other is on a compression stroke. With this in mind, if one plug wire is
>>> off, both cease to function since the loop is broken. Now when the tester is
>>> used by an amateur, it can show a bad component. I don't agree with the jump
>>> start theory but anything is possible. I don't recall ever replacing a coil
>>> set on one of those. The failure rate is below .3%. I have replaced pulse
>>> coils on a fair number of those bikes. Failure is due to heat. Check
>>> resistance of those cold and hot. All I'm trying to do is completely confirm
>>> failed component. If you are satisfied with the results as it stands now,
>>> replace with OEM. One of my guys has a CB650sc with over 38k on it and all
>>> original electrics.
>>> Now I'll duck while all you dealer haters respond.
>>>
>>> --- On *Sat, 9/27/08, Kyle Munz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> From: Kyle Munz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>
>>> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Coils?
>>> To: [email protected]
>>>
>>> Date: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 1:32 AM
>>>
>>>
>>>  One was just out of specs, the other one had infinite resistance. I
>>> then took it to the local cycle shop that had a fancy ignition coil tester.
>>> Nifty adapter on the end kind of like a dummy sparkplug you could screw in
>>> and out to adjust the gap on the fly. One coil could just barely make a
>>> spark at less than 1/4 inch, the other could spark almost twice that. Both
>>> petered out after a few minutes, after they warmed up. I know the odds of
>>> both going bad are twice as unlikely, but one was definitely worse than the
>>> other. That explains why it felt like my bike was only running on 2 cyls
>>> before it crapped out completely the other day when it was hot. And after a
>>> few minutes cooling off it would run, but again like it was on half its
>>> cyls. Then after I let it set for 30 mins it cranked up and ran on all cyls,
>>> even if it was still missing occasionally. One of the only situations I can
>>> think of that would cause both coils to fail around the same time would be
>>> jump starting off of a running car. I'm afraid that if the previous owner
>>> tried that I may have more than just coil problems. This bike has had ever
>>> single electrical system knackered in some form or another.
>>>
>>> -Kyle
>>> -picked up "knackered" from watching TopGear ;)
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Dennis Hammerl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>>>
>>>>   How did you determine that ? Do you know what the odds of both going
>>>> bad at the same are ? Fall back and regroup. Fill me in.
>>>>
>>>> --- On *Fri, 9/26/08, Kyle Munz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:
>>>>
>>>> From: Kyle Munz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Coils?
>>>> To: [email protected]
>>>> Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 3:06 PM
>>>>
>>>>  I finally got a chance to take a break from himmicane cleanup to look
>>>> at my bike today. Turns out the coils are dead, or we don't know how to 
>>>> work
>>>> a multimeter. I'm fairly confident in my multimeter skills so I'm going to
>>>> go with dead coils. Anyone have any recommendations on aftermarkets or 
>>>> stick
>>>> with OEM?
>>>>
>>>> -Kyle
>>>> -83CB650SC
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>  >>
>>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to