Larry Kopitnik wrote:

I checked my F100. No problem at all.

One thing to consider -- and you likely already have -- is that the spot
metering area is somewhat larger than the brackets shown in the viewfinder.
Each spot meter is, according to Nikon,  4 mm x 4 mm. Each bracket in the
middle row is 2 mm x 1.5 mm. The top and bottom brackets are 2 mm x 1 mm.
So on those top and bottom areas, the spot meter is twice the width and
three times the height of the bracket shown. A little less so when using
the middle row.

I visualize a box surrounding the brackets when using spot metering. With a
little practice, it's not hard to do (and since I spot meter maybe 80% of
the time, I get plenty of practice). Should something lighter or darker
enter that box, the meter reading will change.
<<<<<<<<<<

Art Searle wrote:

My F100's spot meter is right on the various AF points.

I do remember a similar post some time ago in reference to the F5's spot
meter misalignment with the AF sensor and it proved to be an isolated case.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Mark Ravensdale wrote:

Got my F100 yesterday, I check and found there was "NOT" a problem
regarding the spot meter placement on my camera !!!

Hope you get the problem fixed soon Thierry !!!
<<<<<<<<<<<

I talked to the Nikon France technical guy today. He told me that he
notices the same misalignement as I reported with the samples he has been
able to test. He measured that the spot metering is done approximatively
1/3 on the focusing square and 2/3 above it.

He explained me that this is due to the fact that light and focus sensors
are located on the same surface. Hence, they cannot be exactly at the same
place. He added that this wasn't the case with the F5 because the spot
metering was taken with some of the 1000 pixels CCD sensor and that focus
sensors weren't located on the same surface.

I have no reason to doubt of what he told me since he appeared to be an
expert. On the other hand I am completely unaware on how sensors are built
in and I cannot make my own opinion. However, this would mean that all F100
samples suffer from the same misalignement, which mismatches with your
observations. Are you all sure that spot meter is right on the focusing
squares? (To be sure, you must aim at a little spot light and slowly move
the camera up and down and up and down and up and down and note at which
point the light is reported to be the highest).

Any comments?

Thierry