Are you using an onboard NIC?  Is it a Marvell chipset?  I've noticed a
couple weird things like this with very particular Marvell chips. (instance
where things would looks correct and it wouldn't necessarily report
problems, but it would not get a gateway or wouldn't pick up an IP from
DHCP.)

My solution was to toss in a PCI NIC and update the kernel.  If that didn't
fix it, I downloaded and installed the actual NIC module from Marvell.

Chris