On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 02:02:52PM -0600, David R. Wilson wrote:
> Hello Howard,
>
> Check /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.

        Seconded.  NetworkMangler does bad things to the
        /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ethX interface
        definition files at times.

> I have been using CentOS on some stuff for a while, but not the desktop
> version.  If I was guessing I would not be surprised if they are using

        CentOS is CentOS; desktop vs server is for the most part
        irrelevant as far as network configuration goes with the
        except of NetworkMangler.

> something in the way of NetworkManager, which I have found to be a very
> evil problem in the past.

        NetworkMangler should not be installed on any system that one
        expects or requires stability / reliability.

        yum erase NetworkManager; watch the deps it wants to remove, but
        it should be ok overall.

> I forget what I installed on the laptop as an alternative, but I got
> really tired of fixing the problems (which are most likely now fixed) in
> the NetworkManager program.

        There are still issues with NetworkMangler and I suspect there
        always will be for the lifetime of C5; C6 should be based on
        Fedora 11 or 12 (likely 12) so while it may see some improvements
        in this arena I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

        If, for some reason, your NIC is not supported give the ElRepo
        third-party repository a look; it's where we point people that
        have hardware requirements that the stock C4/C5 kernels do
        not support.  You can find more information about this repo,
        and the others, at the following url.  *Please* pay attention
        to the section on yum-priorities (ignore the junk at the
        top of the wiki article, you *must* use priorities with most
        of the third-party repos unless you want the C4/C5 base stomped
        on:

        http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

                                                        John

--
If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most
revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.

-- George C. Marshall (1880 - 1959), American military leader and statesman,
creator of the Marshall Plan, the only US Army general to receive the Nobel
Peace Prize, Biennial Report of the Chief of Staff, US Army, 1 September 1945