All that leads to the whole if you "rent" the modem, then they can't
point to it as the problem without replacing it. Consider it a insurance
policy, you pay it every time it is due so you aren't the one on the hook
when crap happens.

Other point to check is signal strength. I have seen a lot of channel
changing lately, and it is due to the swings in temp and the fact that
some of the channels are affected more than others with temp changes.

Last time I had really poor signal, I wrote a quick ruby app to scrape
the cable modem for the signal strengths and channel information and write
it out to a log file. Then used gnuplot to show how my signal strength
would rise and fall with the weather outside.

When I showed the tech from comcast the details I had, he didn't question
me about the troubles anymore. I used their equipment against them with
better reporting than they had.

Of course for fun comcast troubles. I had to call them up last week for
trouble, and the person on the line said, I don't see any problems in
your area. I told them I was seeing 25-75% packet loss. Next morning I
was fully without service and called back to hear the recording that they
had a service problem in my area. Wanted to go back in time and throttle
the tech on the line for not taking a service problem more serious then.

BTW, been thinking about the whole swap to AT&T, but haven't made the
leap just yet.
--
Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com