I have Comcast at home and at work.  Both have been working fairly well,
with the exception of a few cable problems at work (maybe twice this
year).

Having dealt with a similar problem at the house a few years ago I
suspect there is either a cable problem or possibly a protocol / timing
mismatch of some flavor.  I have had 2 or 3 of the Motorola modems
before.  There is another one that was issued to me some time ago that
wasn't Motorola and worked fine.  I think it was made by Westel, but it
has been quite a while.  A couple of years ago I switched to the Arris
modem used for phone and Internet service.  So far it has been very
reliable.

Unfortunately if it is a cable problem it almost has to be acting up
while a tech has a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) on the line.  Comcast
still uses some aluminum jacketed cable, which from time to time the
outside jacket will break.  Finding where that is can be a major
headache.

Dave