I thought about going that route (monitoring my WiFi IP address, when I
come on the network), but it seems like iOS turns off WiFi access when
you're not actually doing something on the phone (to save battery life, I'm
sure).  If I continually pinged my cell phone's IP address, it might keep
the WiFi on all day, but this would drain battery life, considerably.