Dear Nick,

I did not discuss shrinkage because it didn't concern the point I was trying
(and maybe failing) to make. [However, I don't think that if one wants to
compare with NCA AUCs, data are likely to be rich with reasonably small
shrinkage]

I used proportional residual error as an example. Doesn't really matter which
residual error you use - going from the normality assumption on the log scale
to normal scale would always make the mean of a simulated observation higher
than the mean. Mean(exp(epsilon)) is going to be higher than 1 regardless of
residual error model.

The point I'm trying to make is not how you calculate the central tendency of
several AUCs, it concerns the calculation of individual AUCs.

The problem I point out is relevant when you compare NCA AUCs from observed
data with NCA AUCs from model predictions, regardless if you use linear or
log-linear trapezoidal rules. Observed NCA AUCs are expected to be higher than
NCA AUCs from model-predicted (but not higher than model simulated) AUCs
calculated by NCA (from the same sampling schedule).
For a model:
Y=LOG(F)+EPS(1)
The exponentiation of LOG(F) will give the expected mean of F [from which
model-predicted NCA AUC will be calculated]
The exponentiation of (LOG(F)+EPS(1)) will not give the expected mean of F, but
something higher. [this is what you can calculate model-simulated NCA AUCs from]

Thus model-predicted and model-simulated NCA AUCs will be systematically
different if they are calculated in this way. I expect that if the model is
correct, the observed NCA AUCs will be more similar to the simulated NCA AUCs.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Best regards,
Mats

Mats Karlsson, PhD