I think Mats' description about NCA based AUC can be simplified to the
following(imagine only 2 time points):
Given two log-normally distributed random variable,
C1~log-N(log(F1),sigma**2) and C2~log-N(log(F2),sigma**2), what is the
relationship between C1+C2 (model simulated) and F1+F2(model predicted)?
Mats is saying average (mean) of C1+C2 is systematically greater than
F1+F2 (but a specific C1+C2 can be either less or greater than F1+F2).
This can be easily proved mathematically.
The distribution of the sum of two log-normally distributed random
variables is approximately another log-normal distribution(Fenton L).
Say Y=C1+C2, then Y's distribution can be approximately by
log-N(log(median_Y),sigmasum**2), where
median_Y=(F1+F2)*exp(sigma**2/2-sigmasum**2/2). And
mean_Y=(F1+F2)*exp(sigma**2/2). Since exp(sigma**2/2) is always greater
than 1, mean_Y will be greater than F1+F2. I believe Mats' table is
based on simulation. The exact ratio (difference) is exp(sigma**2/2).

Notice F1 and F2 are the medians. Therefore I believe a more reasonable
statistic to be compared with F1+F2 should be median_Y. Then the ratio
will be exp(sigma**2/2-sigmasum**2/2), which will be much closer to 1
but still greater than 1 (sigmasum**2 can be proved to be less than
sigma**2).  If there is only 1 time point (C1), median_Y will be equal
to F1 while mean_Y will still be greater than F1 by exp(sigma**2/2).

Fenton L., The Sum of Log-Normal Probability Distributions in Scatter
Transmission Systems, IRE Trans. Commun. Syst., vol. CS-8, pp. 57-67

Yaning Wang, Ph.D.
Team Leader, Pharmacometrics
Office of Clinical Pharmacology
Office of Translational Science
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Phone: 301-796-1624
Email: yaning.w...@fda.hhs.gov

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily
reflect any position of the Government or the Food and Drug
Administration."