From: owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com <owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com> On Behalf
Of Bonate, Peter
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 12:01 PM
To: Leonid Gibiansky <lgibian...@quantpharm.com>; Niurys.CS
<amaranth...@gmail.com>
Cc: nmusers@globomaxnm.com
Subject: RE: [NMusers] Assessment of elimination half life of mAb

I've never really been happy with this.  It's an unsatisfactory solution.
You have a nonlinear drug.  Let's assume you have an approved drug.  It's
given at some fixed dose.  The clinician wants to know what is the drug's
half-life so they can washout their patient and start them on some other
therapy.  We go back to them and say, we can't give you a half-life because
it's a nonlinear drug, but once the kinetics become linear the half-life is
X hours.  That is a terrible answer.  Maybe we need to come up with a new
term, call it C90, the time it takes for Cmax to decline by 90%.  That we
can do.  We don't even need an analytical solution, we can eyeball it.  We
could even get fancy and do it in a population model.  C90 - the time it
takes for Cmax to decline 90% in 90% of patients.  Of course, for nonlinear
drugs, C90 only holds for that dose. Change in dose results in a new C90.
Just a thought.

pete

Peter Bonate, PhD
Executive Director
Pharmacokinetics, Modeling, and Simulation (PKMS) Clinical Pharmacology and
Exploratory Development (CPED) Astellas
1 Astellas Way, N3.158
Northbrook, IL  60062
peter.bon...@astellas.com
(224) 619-4901

It’s been a while since I’ve had something here, but here is a Dad joke.

Question:  Do you know why the math book was sad?
Answer:  Because it had so many problems