still, half-life of the linear part could be helpful in cases when non-linearity plays no significant role in elimination, so we tend to present it together with the washout time simulations.

Leonid

On 4/29/2021 12:35 PM, Justin Wilkins wrote:
Hi Bill, all,

I do much the same thing - when there's nonlinearity happening, I've found it to be
effective to plot concentration-time curves by doses and regimens of interest and mark
the times at which the (median?) clinically-defined threshold for "washout" has
been reached in each case. Of course this starts getting unwieldy when there are lots of
doses or regimens. A less attractive way would be to produce a lookup table.

Sounds like everyone's thinking along the same lines...

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com <owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com> On Behalf Of
Bill Denney
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 6:17 PM
To: Bonate, Peter <peter.bon...@astellas.com>; Leonid Gibiansky
<lgibian...@quantpharm.com>; Niurys.CS <amaranth...@gmail.com>
Cc: nmusers@globomaxnm.com
Subject: RE: [NMusers] Assessment of elimination half life of mAb

Hi Pete,

I agree that it is hard to communicate.  I like the general idea of C90 you propose.  I tend
to choose something in between your and Leonid's answer, when possible.  I target an answer
of "when is the pharmacodynamic effect <5% of the maximum or therapeutic
effect".  It does require more than just the PK, though.  And for the just PK answer, I
agree with Leonid and you, targeting some smallish fraction of Cmax is often reasonable for
similar communication.

What I find clinicians typically try to understand when the drug has washed
out.  The answer that many have reasonably latched onto is when 5 half-lives
have passed, the drug is washed out.  That suggests that about 3% (2^-5) effect
is generally agreed as being washed out.

To Niurys's question about a citation for this, I don't have one either.
It's just a rule-of-thumb that I have tended to use.

Thanks,

Bill