National Post School Outcome Data Community of Practice

Hi all: Facebook could be used to find youth and to request newer contact information. As a researcher who has been collecting transition related information on youth involved in the juvenile justice system after they leave closed custody, we have found that youth typically don't use e-mail anymore and are texters or facebook users (or other social networking sources). Needless to say, we have had great difficulties in keeping in contact with the youth once they leave closed custody. We have looked into using Facebook, but unfortunately, have not figured out a way to use it that would protect the confidentiality of the youth that would pass by our Institutional Review Board for Research on Human Subjects. If someone knows a way...let me know.

Deanne
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jane Falls" <jane.fa...@tacs.uoregon.edu>
To: "PSO CofP" <npsoserv@lists.uoregon.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: [NPSO]: Question from state re incentives

National Post School Outcome Data Community of Practice

Any one out there have experience with the question Kay poses?

On 1/16/09 7:49 AM, "Liz Getzel" <lget...@vcu.edu> wrote:

National Post School Outcome Data Community of Practice

Hi Jane,

The incentive discussion has been very interesting.  I have been
wondering for some time now if any states (school districts) are
reaching kids through Facebook and if so, what policies have they
developed, etc.

Thanks.  Liz

Jane Falls wrote:
A fellow state is asking a question:

We are wanting to start offering incentives to participants who take
part in our Indicator 14 survey. Can you tell me what some other
states are offering? We were thinking $5 Sonic cards or Visa gift
cards. Any ideas you have seen to be successful? Any help would be
appreciated!

If you have experiences related to this, please reply all and share
your ideas! Thanks! Jane

Jane Falls, Coordinator
National Post-School Outcomes Center
1268 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1268
541-346-0354
jafa...@uoregon.edu
http://www.psocenter.org

Learn about NPSO products, services and events plus connect other
state experts!
Subscribe to our NPSO list at http://www.psocenter.org/cofp.html#email