For a while I thought it doesn't make sense for me to add to this
thread, but there appears to be
a complete ignorance among many power ConTeXt users about "abnormal"
ways to
use ConTeXt, and maybe even computers.

I believe that there are keyboard people and mouse people. I myself
am mostly a mouse person.

Nevertheless, TeX has its appeal to me, besides its math typesetting
competence.  I love to formulate
what I write while I am typing, and because I type slowly, this works
quite well. I found that wysiwyg systems
distract me from finding good formulations, because I pay too much
attention to the layout while typing.

After producing the content, it is quite easy to change the layout,
and I like to do that, too -- but it is
a totally different activity.

I found ConTeXt to be more satisfying than LaTeX here, for several
reasons. One of them is that if I want to achieve
something new in LaTeX, I typically have to choose (carefullly)
between several different packages,
with the danger of breaking something else or to run into limitations.
With ConTeXt, the "Garden" is a great resource, and if everything
else fails, one can ask on this friendly list...

No my confession: I hate digging around in the TeX tree, or compile
new versions, etc.
While I have done all this, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, I
just don't need to do it often enough that
I have become familiar enough with the pitfalls so that I can
overcome potential problems. My memory
is so bad that something I don't do at least weekly will just
disappear, and I don't have enough time
to exercise the unix installation yoga weekly.
Hence I have been living with the TeXLive ConTeXt distribution(on a
Mac)  for a while, always afraid that the answer
to a problem will be "just upgrade to the newest nightly built". I am
sure I am not the only one.

But I do not complain. ConTeXt is great, but has a long way to go
until Hans and company can afford dealing
with a larger user base -- when the volume of this mailing list
doubles, it will become completely useless
to new users.

Matthias