On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Jesse Alama wrote:

>>> That's not a general solution, but if you need it for yourself, you
>>> can put the following to some file and execute it whenever you want:
>>>
>>> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/context/beta/
>>> /path/to/your/texmf/
>>> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/bin/luatex/linux/bin/
>>> /path/to/your/binaries/
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> There's a limited set of folders that you need to update, and it will
>>> only update new files, you don't need to update everything.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1. What's the difference between getting the texmf tree using rsync,
>
> It only downloads newer files & you can fetch binaries
>
>> as
>> you suggest, and using ctxtools --updatecontext?  Are those equivalent?
>
> It downleady the whole zip every time you call it.
>
>> 2. It looks like the subdirectories that I want are
>>
>>  common
>>  context
>>  luatex
>>  man
>>  metapost
>>
>> if I want to follow only luatex development.  (The only subdirectories
>> that aren't in that list are mswin, which doesn't apply to me, and
>> pdftex and xetex.)  I'd like to just put this on top of my TeXLive
>> (2007) distribution.

What I did to enable current context with my TL is:

1.  create a seaprate texmf-ctx tree that is populated from the .zip
archive

2.  create a parallel bin/i386-linux-l directory and put it before
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux in the path.  Note that
this should have symbolic links to the scripts in the texmf-ctx tree
to ensure that the current scripts are used.

3.  copy the updated binaries to the bin/i386-linux-l directory

> What about trying to install TeX Live 2008? It desperately needs
> testers at the moment, and all that you will need to do to stay up to
> date is fetching:
> - luatex
> - context itself
> - maybe luatool & mtxrun
>
>> Once I copy thse binaries to my TeXLive binary
>> directory, what's the next step?  Do I need to rebuild the ConTeXt
>> format, for example?
>
> Yes.

It is important to catch as many problems in TL2008 as we can now,
and it is intended to have a current ConTeXt.  When you use free
tools there is some moral duty to help make them good, not only
for your own benefit, for for others.  Fresh eyes often spot problems
that experienced users overlook.

--
George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia