On 05/15/2018 11:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Hans,
>>
>> I wonder whether it would be possible to implement a feature that you
>> mentioned in the past.
>>
>> In order to avoid widow and orphan lines, you mentioned that it would be
>> possible to automatically adapt the interline space for the page, so
>> that it may have one more line to avoid orphans (when interline space is
>> decreased) or it may move a line to the next page to avoid widows
>> (increasing the interline space in the present page).
>>
>> Would it be possible to add this feature to ConTeXt?
>
> actually it was something that came up when talking with Hermann Zapf
> years ago: he suggested to just vertically scale the text area (i
> actully implemented that an hour later) ... his opinion was that only a
> very small percentage of readers will notice (at that time we did
> experiments with hz, the expansion in pdftex: in fact nobody noticed
> that too, real interesting was that texies commented on all kind of
> things related to how tex is supposed to work: a clear demonstration
> that the average user knows what the virtues of tex are but not really
> sees it)

I must confess that I can recognize hanging characters, but quality
expansion is impossible to see (at least, for me).

I would even say that if expansion can be seen by a human reader, the
results will be crappy.

How can I use the vertical scale feature to prevent widows and orphans?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

http://www.ousia.tk