I have been through 3 different changes so far.

The first one was something like W0F01492.  The W was for Workstation (servers got
A-F), multiple workstations got G,H, etc.  0F0 was a location code and all of our
sites had one (or more).1 was the floor.  492 was the room.

Second place was MTMEM5555A.  MT was the OS (MT-NT, M5-95, and so on).  MEM is the
city (Memphis).  5555 is the extension.  A is the number of the workstation (A-1, B-2,
and so on).

Third place just did PC001, PC002, etc. and let CA track it for them.

Guess it depends.  :)

JayW

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/27/01 01:18PM >>>
Hi, I don't use user names in the computer name as you would need to
change it with every hire/fire/quit.

I won't go over my naming convention for this company on the net for
obvious reasons, however in previous locales I used a combination of the
street name and address of the various offices, DT, LT, MS, or DC (to
denote the machine type - laptop, desktop, member server, domain
controller) along with a two or three digit computer number. For
example, a desktop at a building located a 17 Austin Friars London, I
would call it 17AFDT001, and for a laptop at 212 Houndsditch in London,
I would use 212HDLT001. In both cases I would then just increment the
001 to 002 and so forth. In the AD, I would then put the machines and
user accounts in org units called Austin Friars, or Houndsditch. If you
use multiple sites or domains, then the last bit becomes less relevant.

Clayton Doige
IT Manager MCSE, MCP + I
Gameday International N.V.
Bound in a nutshell, King of infinite space...

T: +5 999 736 0309 ext 4537
C: +5 999 563 1845
F: +5 999 733 1259