Title: RE: Workstation Naming Standards

The problem with using the username is that now you have two resources with the same name (the computer and the user), that’ll mess up the messenger service and quite likely the computer browser as well. Over the years, I’ve used a number of schemes; right now I use a combination of machine type, and user’s name. Like NB-Smith, (Ms Smith has a notebook) and alphabetically all the NBs and DTs, are grouped together. It’s helpful to know what type system is in use for backups and central management tools like and anti-virus system. FWIW, the last big site I worked at, 9500 users, we used serial numbers only – that was because s/n was the only thing guaranteed to be unique.

rod

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 2:06 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Workstation Naming Standards

I use the user name, but I've got a small 50 person installation. I change the name if the person changes.  It simplifies figuring out who's having a problem, because I know everyone. Tougher in a large organization.

I sure as heck wouldn't agonize over it. You want to be able to browse a list to pinpoint who's having a problem. And if necessary tie that back to some inventory/allocation information.  Serial Number would probably work if you have a good inventory system.