Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 2:11 PM
Subject: RE: Workstation Naming Standards

I still use non-descript names. In my case, car names, because they’re plentiful and easier to remember than XXY-003DC-7T. So, my computers are named things like Camry, Chevelle, Viper, Yukon, etc…. and then I just keep a spreadsheet of who’s using what computer, what its IP address is, etc… That way, if someone moves from one machine to another, I only have to note the change in one place.

Of course, we’re small (42 workstations) too, so YMMV.

One interesting side note is that some users get really confused by this. For example, in 1995 I bought a screaming fast 100MHz Pentium, and named it Mustang. Now, over the years, that Mustangs is looking slower and slower, and as I got less creative at finding car names, I had to settle for whatever I could find. One of our CAD guys almost fell off his chair laughing when he found out his new dual 1GHz Pentium III machine was named… Chevette <g>

Evan