On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Greg Sweers <gswe...@acts360.com> wrote:
> Sorry should have been more clear.  The NSlookup is to the internal DC
> server.   When you try and query it comes up with service failure or
> timeout.

  Right, but the question is, do you get different behaviors depending
on what name you query.  If my DC/DNS server is 192.0.2.10, and my AD
domain is <example.net.>, I would compare:

        nslookup example.net. 192.0.2.10

with

        nslookup google.com. 192.0.2.10

  I'd also check a site unlikely to be cached, such as:

        nslookup purple.com. 192.0.2.10

  I'd also run a query against an external resolver:

        nslookup google.com. 8.8.8.8

  I'd also avoid NSLOOKUP and use DIG (you can get it from the ISC
BIND distribution).  NSLOOKUP is historically prone to giving bad
diagnostics.  I don't know if Microsoft has fixed their version, but
DIG gives better information than NSLOOKUP even when both are working
correctly.  Example syntax:

        dig example.net. @192.0.2.10

> When you try and query it comes up with service failure or
> timeout.

  Be aware that SERVFAIL is an actual DNS result code from a
nameserver, while a timeout is NSLOOKUP getting tired of waiting for
the nameserver to respond.

-- Ben