On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Greg Sweers <gswe...@acts360.com> wrote:
> Thx, none of those fail.  While we cannot do a query to mail.google.com we
> can resolve any internal DNS without issue.  My original thoughts was that
> even though the registry is there its still sending out EDNS requests ...

  I don't know if it's EDNS in particular, but that definitely sounds
like some kind of reaching-the-outside-world issue.  It could also be
a firewall problem.  I've seen issues in the past where a stateful
firewall will run out of some resource keeping track of all the DNS
UDP packets in flight.  (Stupid, yes, but there's a lot of stupid out
there.)

  Try running the OARC DNS size test, that might uncover an EDNS problem:

https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/replysizetest

-- Ben