From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:09 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: 2008 R2 DNS strangeness

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Greg Sweers <gswe...@acts360.com> wrote:
> We do use forwarders on both servers.  They are both currently set to
> 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 ...

  Those are Level 3's full-service resolvers.  Unless you're a Level 3
customer, you shouldn't be tying your corporate network infrastructure to those
resolvers.  They're easy to remember and thus useful for trouble-shooting, but
using them in production is inappropriate.  It means you're potentially
traversing a potentially large part of the Internet with UDP DNS traffic.  It
also means you're depending on a public service which could go wonky or shut
you off at any time.

  Forwarders should be fast, local, and reliable.  Your local ISP's nameservers
*may* meet that criteria -- or may not.  Since you're having DNS trouble,
remove the forwarders and see what happens.
Eliminate the obvious potential problem.

  Even if you are a Level 3 customer, I'd take the forwarders out to see if the
trouble goes away.

-- Ben