Agreed!

I have been in this business for 30 years. Don't have my degree, but lots
of certs.

On one interview, I was asked from a recruiter, "Why should we hire you?
You don't have a degree." This was after I went and talked to their client.
Told them I had extensive experience, hands on, and was very familiar with
the clients network and software requirements. Didn't get the job. But,
three months later, saw the same job posted again on their site. Guess the
person they choose didn't work out.

On one job, it was a direct hire, went through the first interview ok. On
the second interview, the VP of the company was sat in. Everything was
going ok until the VP spoke up. He said, "Well, I see that you have a lot
of experience. I see you have references listed, but I am not interested in
what your drinking buddies have to say..." Excuse me? What makes you think
I am a drinker? I thanked the manager for the opportunity for the interview
and wished them well. They are now out of business.

Lastly, I worked for a company back in 2000 and managed a Windows NT
Server, SCO UNIX box and a Novell 3.11 Server.  All at the same time.And I
didn't have an MCSE or CNA certs. I left to go to another position with a
different company. A month later, they hired someone to replace me. That
person was there for not even a week and then quit. He started on Monday
and didn't even show up on Friday. The guy sent an email stating, and I
quote, "I don't see how the other guy managed all of the servers and
printer for 300 people." And he had his MCSE!

The thing about going to college, is, they only teach theory. They don't
teach anything worth practical value to an employer. But the one thing that
ircks me, is this: When someone goes to a 4 year school and asks their
instructors what they should ask for as starting salary,  the instructor,
who, more than likely has not been in the public sector, will tell the
graduate, "Tell them you want $80K". And the graduate is dumbfounded when
all they can find are jobs that start at $35K or less. And that is if they
do direct hire. If they go through a recruitment company, they may even get
less. That is because the recruiter just wants to put a warm body at their
customer site.

Anyway, my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.

Daniel