On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote:

> 2.       Groups for this should be Domain Local and no other kind

Why? Specifically, why "no other kind"?

> 3.       In the description in AD, be explicit about where that group has
> access to – at any time someone should be able to look at the description an
> know exactly what that group does/has access to.

I do the same, and make a nuisance of myself to my fellow network
admins to do the same. Now we all put the share location in the
description, at the very least.

(me, I document user changes - such as adding to/changing group
memberships, etc - in the "Notes" field of the "Telephone" tab (we
don't use that tab for anything else). Sort of a poor man's audit
trail. I still can't get the other guys to do that, tho ...)

> Most Pre-Lum era groups had blank fields and others simply had “For access
> to files” and they seemed to understand once I showed them, as I heard more
> than one “Aaahhh..”

I know that one; that's why we now document all new groups with share
locations in the descriptions, at the very least.