From: Michael Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:21 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Who in your org creates server shares?

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote:

> 2.       Groups for this should be Domain Local and no other kind

Why? Specifically, why "no other kind"?

> 3.       In the description in AD, be explicit about where that group
> has access to - at any time someone should be able to look at the
> description an know exactly what that group does/has access to.

I do the same, and make a nuisance of myself to my fellow network admins to do
the same. Now we all put the share location in the description, at the very
least.

(me, I document user changes - such as adding to/changing group memberships,
etc - in the "Notes" field of the "Telephone" tab (we don't use that tab for
anything else). Sort of a poor man's audit trail. I still can't get the other
guys to do that, tho ...)

> Most Pre-Lum era groups had blank fields and others simply had "For
> access to files" and they seemed to understand once I showed them, as
> I heard more than one "Aaahhh.."

I know that one; that's why we now document all new groups with share locations
in the descriptions, at the very least.