On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Steven M. Caesare <scaes...@caesare.com> wrote:
> If this was common knowledge, I'm surprised it wasn't
> mentioned a week or two ago when the slow msg delivery
> was such an issue.

  Why mention it if it's common knowledge?

> That would be like MS licensing Exchange not on total number
> of mailboxes, or store size, but the number of messages your
> server could send in any given hour.

  And why is one arbitrary licensing model any better than another?

  Licensing per message sent is arguably the closest to usage-based
billing.  If you have a lot of lists but almost no traffic, you're not
getting more use out of the software.  If you have a lot subscribers
but almost no traffic, you're not getting more use out of the
software.  So this is arguably "more fair".

  On the gripping hand, why anyone would *pay* for a list server when
both Majordomo and GNU Mailman are free -- and apparently work better
-- is beyond me.

-- Ben