From: Alex Eckelberry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 10:07 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Corporate antivirus recommendation

I'm a little baffled by this test.  We're trying to figure out the
methodology ourselves.

Note that the top rankings include Ikaraus, BitDefender and WebWasher.
They have good engines but these three have a very high rate of false
positives.

NOD32 has outstanding detection, but in this test they got a horribly
low score.  Sorry, that's a red-flag for me.  I work with malware on a
constant basis and I know NOD32 intimately.  It's a very solid engine.

So, this may mean that the test doesn't take into account engines that
use emulation (like NOD32 and VIPRE).  There are different methods of
detecting viruses.  The most basic is a string search.  However, a
string search has its limitations.  A more powerful system is an
emulator.  An emulation-based engine sandboxes a binary and runs it in
an emulator, observing its behavior.

So, if the malware has been malformed (e.g. cannot be executed), then it
can't be emulated, and it won't be detected.  But an engine that uses a
simple string search will find it.

Also, these tests may use another AV engine as a "benchmark".  For
example, if it gets one detection on VirusTotal, then it's considered a
virus.  This is, of course, complete nonsene but I've seen this idiocy
happen with one "reputable" AV test outfit -- if one or two engines
detects a sample as a virus, then it must be a virus.  This is
ridiculously flawed, but it does happen.

There are also other issues at play, such as behavior detection.  A
product may not pick up a virus on a scan, but will pick it up when it
tries to execute.

The best test, IMHO, is the Andreas Marx AV-Test.org test, and the
VirusBulletin tests.  These are the most rigorous, and vetted tests.
Also, each file included in the zoo has a reason to be there -- it's not
there just because another engine detected it.

At any rate, we're adding literally thousands of more definitions daily,
and we're not standing still, regardless of who is testing a given
product.

Alex

Alex Eckelberry, CEO
Sunbelt Software, Inc.
33 N. Garden Avenue, Clearwater, FL 33755
727.562.0101 x220
www.sunbeltsoftware.com <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/>
www.sunbeltblog.com <http://www.sunbeltblog.com/>