I set up an 8 disk SATA RAID5 array in an HP DL380G5 with the included
P400 SAS/SATA controller.  The drives are 500G and I initially tried to
create one big RAID5 array.  I started out using the tools in the CMOS
setup but you could only create one "logical" drive on your physical
array that way.  When I tried that, I had a 3.5TB "drive" that I created
a 50G partition on to install Windows Server 2003 on.  That worked ok,
but I could only access the first 2TB of the array.  I could not convert
it to a GPT disk (greyed out) because I was booting from it.  So there
was no way to use the hundreds of GB above 2TB.  The other problem was
that it was incredibly slow for all writes, and any reads with smaller
block sizes.  It took forever to install Windows and the ATTO
bench32.exe test showed horrible write performance (2 MB/sec for small
and even medium block sizes).

I then used the Array tools built into the smartstart CD which allowed
more flexibility in drive creation.  I wiped the array and made a new 8
drive RAID5, but was able to make a small (50GB) logical drive for
booting, and then split the rest of the drive between two large logical
drives that were both under the 2TB "limit" (without having to convert
to GPT).  This was still horribly slow.

I then made a 2 drive mirror out of the first two drives, and installed
Windows on that.  The performance was fine in ATTO as well as windows
speed.  I made a 6 drive RAID5 out of the rest of the drives, and split
that into two logical drives (to keep under 2TB so I would not have to
use GPT).  The RAID5 part was still horribly slow.  I looked at the
drive status in the HP drive configuration tools, and it said the raid5
was still initializing (or something like that) so I let it go over the
weekend and that message went away (status now "OK").  I repeated the
ATTO benchmark and it is just as slow, but there is less variation in
the numbers.

Searching google and the HP forums, it seems many people are having
these issues with the P400 card and some recommended adding the
battery/more RAM option which I ordered.  One person commented that he
replaced the P400 with a P800 and that cured his speed problem.  I have
also ordered a P800.  I have a funny feeling that the P800 is just a
P400 that comes standard with the battery and extra RAM (512 vs 256)
plus it has some external drive connectors on the back.

Does anyone have any experience with this controller or tips for getting
usable speed.  I tested the speed over the network by sharing the RAID5
drive out and got horrible write speeds there too (I thought maybe
Windows would do some caching of its own and maybe hide the slowness).

Tom