The LSISAS1078 is a custom chip designed for high performance RAID controllers.
 It is used on the HP P400 and P800 (their best raid card) as well as an Intel
RAID card and LSI logics own "Mega-Raid" brand of RAID card.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:32 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: HP RAID5 P400 SATA questions

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Alverson, Tom (Xetron)
<tom.alver...@ngc.com> wrote:
> It has a monster 600+ PIN BGA (ball grid array) LSI chip on it
> (LSISAS1078).  I'm sure there are a few XOR's in there somewhere.

  You're looking for dedicated silicon that can do all the XOR
calculations on a block of data very fast.  If it's just a
general-purpose microprocessor spinning in a loop to do the XOR
calculations it will be slower.

  How many fscking times do I have to say this?

-- Ben