From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:37 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Disappearing program

+1 on this type of user. I had one call a few years ago that along these
lines:

ID10T: "My machine isn't booting right, there's some message on the screen "

Me: "What does it say? "

ID10T: "I don't know"

Me: "Does it say 'error accessing device' or just a bunch or garbled letters
or something?"

ID10T: "I don't know what it says, I just need you to come look"

After another minute I still could not get this user to read what was on the
screen, even character by character and ended up walking to her desk.  On
the screen: "Invalid system disk" because there was a floppy in the floppy
drive and BIOS was set to try boot from that first.ejecting the floppy of
course fixed everything. FORGET trying to explain anything complex like
"there are some underlined words, click on that."

Build something idiot proof and God will build a better idiot.

David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
(Desk) 971.222.1025 // (Cell) 503.267.9764