If the CEO is willing to sign off on a policy banning the use of social
networking and IM then, there should be controls in place to enforce the
policy, a policy without the associated controls and punishments (
Administrative, enacted by Management/HR) then the policy isn't worth
the paper its written on.

There should be a section for exception, due to the things that you just
specified, but the exception have to be approved in writing by the CEO
or CIO accordingly. ( I know marketing departments are using face book,
twitter, Myspace and emerging social networking sites to get the brand
name out or to communicate with new customer bases, along with those
"one-offs" that a member of the military is using IM/Skype to talk with
loved ones back in States.

The SANS templates are pretty good shell its just the language will
actually have to come from you. Just make sure its not extremely
technical in nature, and embodies message you want to get across, and is
signed by senior management.  Also if you have controls to block the
usage of the IM/Social Networking sites, a reference back to established
policy for those users that break policy after its enacted serves as a
nice deterrent to future violations and serves as security awareness
training which always helps.

Sincerely,

EZ

Edward Ziots

CISSP,MCSA,MCP+I,Security +,Network +,CCA

Network Engineer

Lifespan Organization

401-639-3505

ezi...@lifespan.org