It's not at all strange for the IT Manager to be responsible for
consolidating or initiating the acceptable use policy in an organization.
No matter which party is responsible for putting it together, it cannot be
done in a vacuum.  So, either IT does it with input from HR and the business
leaders, or HR does it with input from IT and the business leaders.

The results should be the same either way.

-ASB: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Steven Peck <sep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are you as the 'IT Manager' coming up with the companies policy?
> Shouldn't this be a business decision?
>
> In any case, technically here we have a NO EXTERNAL IM policy.  The reality
> is that 'certain' senior management use it so no actual blocking occurs.  At
> some point we will get the OCS edge servers with PIC setup and then begin
> blocking.
>
> The unofficial rule is do not be stupid.
>
> As for what your company should do?  That depends on the tone and nature of
> your business culture.  Is your culture regimented and controlled.  Is it
> technically skilled and adept?
>
> I would strongly suggest a variation of the don't be stupid rule that
> allows your management flexibility and recognizes it's employees as trust
> worthy human beings with a modicum of control.  Of course your corporate
> culture may be like ours and that rule would have no chance at all.  :)
>
> Steven
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM, John Aldrich <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com
> > wrote:
>
>>  What restrictions, if any, do your organizations place on things like IM
>> or social networking sites? I sent out a warning to the office personnel
>> this morning regarding the new “IM Virus” and got an email back from the CEO
>> basically stating “shouldn’t that be a violation of company policy anyway?”
>> and I had to tell him, I knew of no policies regarding that; and that in
>> fact, my former supervisor was fully aware of at least one person (who’s
>> child is overseas in the military) who used IM on a semi-regular basis.
>>
>> For this reason, I’m working on coming up with a company policy. I’ve
>> looked at the sample template from SANS as well as another one that someone
>> sent me off-list. I’m planning on incorporating the best of everything I
>> get, so if anyone has any suggested language regarding IM or social
>> networking, please let me have it. J
>>

>> [image: John-Aldrich][image: Tile-Tools]

<<image002.jpg>>

<<image001.jpg>>