*>>Once code is running as system, it's irrelevant what system you try to
put in place to prevent it.*

True.

*>>Whitelisting is not going to help, because the rootkit can simply report
that it's notepad.exe (or whatever) to your whitelisting software.*

I think we have a very different understanding of what enterprise level
whitelisting technology works in terms of running code.

*>>The same way that a rootkit reports it's something else to your file
system filter (typically what AV uses)*

Actually, most rootkits that I am aware of operate in a different fashion.
 They interject themselves into the kernel so that they can manipulate the
results of any process list requests or file system requests.

As Ed mentioned, no one is suggesting that there are many good options for
protection *after* your machine has been infected with a rootkit.   At that
point, it's too late.

When it comes to prevention, however, whitelisting technologies rely not on
simple name comparisons, but also combinations involving executable hash,
identification of parent process, file system location, etc.  Where a
typical AV utility is unable to identify the new rootkit app that was just
built 2 hours ago and is looking to gain a foothold on your system (because
of the lack of an appropriate signature or anything that triggers the
heuristics), a whitelisting solution will simply prevent the rootkit
executables from executing because they do not match the identification of
an app that is approved for operation in the folder in question.

Both of the aforementioned technologies have some caveats, but the problems
with relying on being able to identify bad code continue to increase to be
point of becoming counterproductive.  It is certainly not sustainable.
 Security solutions that focus on identifying bad are subject to more
change, and perform with less accuracy than those which identify the good.
 And they can be sustained.

(TopLayer, providers of some of the fastest and most accurate IPS devices I
have ever had the pleasure of testing, have deprecated the use of signatures
significantly.  They represent less than 10% of the effectiveness of the
device)

Given the current scale of the threats, we need to approach the protection
differently.  Signatures do not need to go away entirely (or immediately),
but other approaches need to be more widespread if we hope to gain any
ground on the malware writers, and stop wasting so much corporate time
guarding our windows and doors.

We also need time to put more effort into regulating execution and
automation what used to be considered "data", such as PDF files.   Just like
the prevelance of office macro viruses has diminished due to better controls
of the application, so too must the same functionality be built for PDF
readers and the apps for other popular "active" data types.

-ASB: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker